Linked Events

• Classic Adelaide - 2008: Wed, 19 Nov, 2008 - Sun, 23 Nov, 2008

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Anyone know what the fire extinguisher regs are for Thoroughbred Touring?  One or two required? 

Any other stuff needed to be fitted?

Edit:  Found it.  2x1kg or 1x2 kg.

They also recommend a HANS device - recommend only this year and compulsory in 2009 for TT.  How do you fit a HANS device to a road car?

Anyway, who is going in CA this year?

If you watch F1 Mark, The HANS device is the carbon fire brace they put over their shoulder as PP outlined.  

In layman terms, the shoulder straps of your multi point harness hold that down.  There are straps from this device that then connect to your helmet and basically reduces the risk of you breaking your neck in a collision.  Hope this helps.

Is a full harness required for the support category?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I love the www.hansdevice.com.au website.  One page is all you need to sell stuff - bugger the product info!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Kinda like a condom with holes in it then (just bringing it to a level *I* can comprehend :p )
err... ?

HANS is a carbon fibre or f/glass shell that straps UNDER your seat belts to your collarbone/neck/chest.

Once the belts are tight, it's tight too...

The helmet then connects with straps to limit maximum neck extension in an accident. IT DOES NOT restrict normal head or neck movement in ANY way when fitted and adjusted properly.

It DOES make getting in and out a confined space more difficult and slow.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

If you watch F1 Mark, The HANS device is the carbon fire brace they put over their shoulder as PP outlined.  

In layman terms, the shoulder straps of your multi point harness hold that down.  There are straps from this device that then connect to your helmet and basically reduces the risk of you breaking your neck in a collision.  Hope this helps.

Is a full harness required for the support category?

Full harness is not required in TT category.  Doesn't seem to make much sense to buy a HANS without the need for a full harness.  I guess the torso moves forward more in a lapsash belt anyway.

Of course, the HANS is no doubt also handy for watching F1 - it stops the usual problem I have of  head hitting shoulders. :p

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Of course, the HANS is no doubt also handy for watching F1 - it stops the usual problem I have of  head hitting shoulders. :p

Oooooh - tough crowd, but LMAO anyway :D

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Full harness is not required in TT category.  Doesn't seem to make much sense to buy a HANS without the need for a full harness.  I guess the torso moves forward more in a lapsash belt anyway.

OK, thats why I mentioned if the full harness was needed.  I think from memory you guys are limited to about 150kph?????

I take it the new Merc is entering?  I think there is enough safety in those cars to protect you providing you don't do anything silly, and I am sure you wouldn't.

Enjoy.  Will be a heap of fun.  My mate does the competition in his 308 and loves CA.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
My mate does the competition in his 308 and loves CA.

Which is his?  Me or 265T probably have pics/vids of it.

• Soap Dodger

Full harness is not required in TT category.  Doesn't seem to make much sense to buy a HANS without the need for a full harness. 

In that case, it would be ridiculous to enforce HANS, if there is no way for it to work.

I do suggest you use HANS, and get the correct cage/belt/seat set up for it.

There is no reason NOT to use HANS, in most cars. It IS a pain to squeeze in and out etc... BUT I've seen it work a few times and wouldn't run wthout it.

• Soap Dodger

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

In that case, it would be ridiculous to enforce HANS, if there is no way for it to work.

I do suggest you use HANS, and get the correct cage/belt/seat set up for it.

There is no reason NOT to use HANS, in most cars. It IS a pain to squeeze in and out etc... BUT I've seen it work a few times and wouldn't run wthout it.

I'm sure it is an excellent idea for safety but I'm not going to fit a cage/belt/seat set up to go in the TT class for 4 days.  You are in and out of the car 50 times a day.  It is more a social event than motor sport.