Linked Events

• Classic Adelaide - 2008: Wed, 19 Nov, 2008 - Sun, 23 Nov, 2008

Offline waz356

Isn't that what "CLASSIC" Adelaide is all about.  Racing CLASSIC's, i.e. cars say 20+ years old?

BTW, just caught the last 20mins.  Looks like a great event.

Not any more. Classic Adelaide announced last week that they're opening it up to modern cars. They already have issues with cars going faster than the approved base time - average 130km/h. But obviously they need numbers to make it financially viable.

Unfortunately the management there has alienated a lot of classic owners who wont be back.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Not any more. Classic Adelaide announced last week that they're opening it up to modern cars. They already have issues with cars going faster than the approved base time - average 130km/h. But obviously they need numbers to make it financially viable.

Unfortunately the management there has alienated a lot of classic owners who wont be back.

I believe that was the same with Targa.  Although tehnically very good, watching WRX's or EVO's etc aren't interesting.  Watching older cars being "driven" is fun (if you can't compete of course).

Its a shame that CA feels it has to open up to modern cars.  That may take the fun away as no doubt serious money will come in.

Offline dkabab

i love to see true classic cars, but the problem with CA is that a lot of the classic cars are just old cars. dont get me wrong there are lots of really nice true classics, but if the numbers are dropping, id rather see 100 new exotics getting driven.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
...id rather see 100 new exotics getting driven.

As if - out of 100 new entries that haven't previously done it - 90 will be Porkers.

Offline dkabab

As if - out of 100 new entries that haven't previously done it - 90 will be Porkers.

yeah you're right, who in their right mind would enter one......

Offline waz356

Wrong! 95% will be WRXs, Skyines and Evo 9's.

Checkout the etry list from the Modern section of this years Targa Tasmania:

http://www.rallyresults.com.au/targa2008/EntryListModern.pdf

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Wrong! 95% will be WRXs, Skyines and Evo 9's.

Yeah, cos it's the only way to win!

Offline waz356

Yeah, cos it's the only way to win!

Nah, Jim Richards will probably win in his GT2 because not too many others will be prepared to put big dollar cars on the line.

(not that there's anything wrong with Evos  :))

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Nah, Jim Richards will probably win in his GT2 because not too many others will be prepared to put big dollar cars on the line.

(not that there's anything wrong with Evos  :))

No... not at all! :D

They don't come much better than Jim Richards, IMHO.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Don't blame the event, I say. 

The problem is that most owners of old cars would rather polish them than race them - which is hardly surprising.  The event needs to follow the market and there isn't enough demand in the existing categories to fill the field - as was evidenced by the low turnout this year.  It makes sense to add another category.  I reckon it is a great idea.  Who loses?  No-one.  There's still the opportunity to run a classic car if you want to.  Personally, I'm not brave enough to enter a modern comp section but I can understand why some would want to.