Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

Hahahah. That goes right up there with 'oh, that's an awwwesome outfit, do they make it in men's sizes too?'

<disclaimer - I actually owned an EVO 8 MR, and would own one again - so badge snobbery isn't the issue here, it's the blagging reverse snobbery of 'oh my <insert hotted up refridgerator here' that is irksome>

Yeah Al....it is tiresome sometimes but then eventually it all boils down to how much fun you are having.....I know the rice rockets can smack my little German butt under the right conditions and that is OK as at least it reminds me that technology has moved to such great heights, but I love the feel of manhandling my car with no nannies or safety catches and at least I know that I did the lap time and the car was the tool....not the other way around! I am not a snob, I love multi brand track days so you get to see the whole gambit of new and old and how they perform. I love to watch those R35 GTR's....damn those things are comic book quick! Cant see myself buying one.....I just simply dont want it, but I am glad other guys buy em and bring to the track so I can watch..............just gave the 993 a birthday...pics on another thread in a minute........
Always Gunna

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

........manhandling my nannies.......

Some of us did have a disturbed childhood, didn't we................      :eek:

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

Some of us did have a disturbed childhood, didn't we................      :eek:

not so much disturbed as.................no, no you're right, it was a  little disturbing! :tilt:
Always Gunna

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Flamey is such a stickler for details.

And you wouldn't have me any other way, right?

Right?

Guys?

Hey where has everybody gone?

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Mate, you've been a mechanic way too long. If any hot chick even noticed an Evo it'd be a miracle.

That's entirely the point...

she wouldn't know what that boring looking 4 door japcrap was that passed you, but she WOULD know that your beautiful exotic work of art was slower than it OR that you were a shit driver!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
That's entirely the point...

she wouldn't know what that boring looking 4 door japcrap was that passed you, but she WOULD know that your beautiful exotic work of art was slower than it OR that you were a shit driver!

Again, you're assuming she'd notice. She wouldn't.

Could also be that you've been doing it wrong mate, ladies rarely like the one who's always fastest to finish.
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
...ladies rarely like the one who's always fastest to finish.

No such thing as premature - if someone can't keep up that's their problem.

• Soap Dodger

No such thing as premature - if someone can't keep up that's their problem.

I'm still half cave man.

I need to climb stairs/tree to go to sleep
and if I'm having sex I'm vulnerable to sabre tooth tiger attack... so get it done quick smart!

• Soap Dodger

Again, you're assuming she'd notice. She wouldn't.

I speak from experience!

Done about 500 track days in one form or another.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Ah, not this argument again.

Sure an EVO can be really fast like an exotic. Can it ever be really desirable or collectible like one though?

I don't think any modern car can be truly collectible, unless it's a limited production supercar (think Enzo, McLaren F1) or particular race cars.   

FWIW (and it's not worth much!), I even seriously doubt the potential collectibility of limited edition production cars from Ferrari or Lamborghini (i.e. CS, Scuderia, LP-670SV etc).   

An F355/360/F430/458/Gallardo/Murcielago/etc certainly won't ever be collectible, IMHO.  Far too many of them are built; and they're perceived as regular production models to be replaced in 5 years time by the next new thing. They're not homologation specials or connected in any way to motorsport. 

Desirability is, of course, subjective.  Depends on the purpose.  Generally speaking, an Evo cannot ever be aspirational in the same sense as an exotic is, but if you want to win or be competitive in tarmac rally/production car racing/[insert motorsport category], then an appropriately prepared Evo will be highly desirable!  For me, they're very desirable (more so than a regular production exotic) because of that real connection to motorsport (and their success in pretty much all genres of competition).  An exotic must have a direct connection to motorsport for it to be truly desirable to me (F355/360/F430 Challenge, etc).  Homologation/motorsport derived cars have always been my favourite kind of cars, exotic badge or not. Unfortunately for me, they're also loved by lots of other car nuts, hence the relatively astronomical prices these cars sometimes reach when they obtain classic status (especially when such cars are the ticket of entry to certain highly popular motorsport recreation events in places such as Europe). 

Without meaning to state the obvious, what could be deemed collectible in the future, cannot always be discerned by reference to past or current trends.  The cars that are the most collectible today are those that either raced (comp Ferraris, Jags, Fords, Mercs and Porsches from the 50s and 60s; pre-war Bentleys, Alfas, Bugattis, Mercs, Delahaye etc), and/or were homologated to permit a model to race (certain road-going and comp models of marques described above), and/or were ground-breaking, iconic and/or trend-setting road cars (Miura, Gullwing Merc), or were impossibly expensive and built in single or double digit numbers when new (certain Duesenbergs and Bugattis, probably best espoused by the Type 41) and have thus been collectible since new.

Off the top of my head, there aren't too many modern cars built today that fall into one or more of these categories.  Coupled with the fact that so many cars are built of any model in general (save for the Super Ferraris or the next top of the line McLaren (the F1 successor not 458 competitor), I can't see very much that is modern being collectible at all.  And anything brand new that is likely to be collectible, is likely to be built in single or double digits only and will thus only be affordable to someone who also has a Gulfstream GV and their own island anyway.