Offline SV

Has anyone here participated in the Porsche Sport Driving School (Levels 1 - 5) the similar program offered by Audi or any other advanced driving/racing course?

Getting into racing is something that I want to achieve within the next five years but I have no idea where to start!  :confused:

I have plenty of virtual experience  :p but have never driven an open wheeler, touring car or GT3 style car on the track. My mindset going into this is to have an instructor guide me through the process from beginning to end to see if my ambitions translate to driving at speed/racing on a track.

I have no issues travelling interstate, although I do hope that when The Bend Motorport Park opens next year I'll have a place to play around in SA.

My wallet is very aware that I'm walking into a money pit and just want to make sure I do this the smartest way possible.  Open to any and all suggestions.

Offline jamesatfish

Porsche have an excellent driver training program but you pay as much for access to the cars as you do to the instructors.

Their Level 1 and 2 are pretty basic - they're more about letting Joe Public drive cars they might not normally get the chance to drive in a fairly low-speed, low-risk setting.

Level 3 and beyond are great for skills that translate to the race track, especially the Level 4 GT3 and Level 5 Carrera Cup days at Queensland Raceway.  I've been through levels 1-4 and spending the whole day in the GT3 with proper instruction and telemetry feedback really pushed my skills to the next level.

The other option is to grab yourself a cheap track car (doesn't need to be expensive - the most enjoyable track car I owned was a Polo GTI that I sold for $7k), head to your nearest track and hire a CAMS instructor for the day.  Most tracks will have their own recommended track instructors and they're usually not that expensive - you could buy a car and spend a week at the track for the same price as running through the Porsche courses.

You're right though, once you start getting serious and want to step into a 'proper' track/race car the bills start running up very quickly, even at amateur weekend-racer levels.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I started the Porsche driver training but in my own Porsche.
Was good but not cost effective.

What car have you got now?

There are plenty of track days that are accessible for you in a road car. That way you find out if you like it and move from there.

Don't wait for bend to open. Mallala is great fun.

The hardest part of all of this is starting. Once you are into it the hardest thing is finding the time for all of the different events we have here in Adelaide.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I ran through all the levels of the John Bowe driving school and did the top levels a number of times. I found that to be the best of what was available locally.

Probably the best school I ever went to was the Bondurant school in Arizona many years ago.