Offline dkabab

there ya go Dave  :D

Cool, can you use this as a skin for a 3d model?

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
Cool, can you use this as a skin for a 3d model?

Haven't made a helmet, can try at some stage
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline Paulstar

I did some reading and chose to get one that's SNELL and DOT rated. From what I gathered the SNELL are rated for more than one impact in the same spot where as the DOT is done after one hit.

The idea being that you might hit your head in the same place more than once - the SNELL foam is harder and hence more likely to transmit an injury like a sprain or a strain or general muscle pain (all that rhymes  :eek:) but absorbs more hits the DOT only is softer (so it's nice on your head) but absorbs just the one impact in the one spot.

After you find one that is light enough, cool looking enough, comfortable enough - double check that the foam can come out for washing  :thumbsup:

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Cancel my comment on AGV helmets, they only promote their helmet line as for motorcycles.

Going in and trying the helmets on is the only way to chose. Some helmets will feel great as soon as you try them and some will push your cheeks uncomfortably. Go for a comfortable, firm fit as the foam moulds slightly to fit your face over time. If The cheaper helmet feels best go for that, if the more expensive helmet feels a much better fit then spend the extra money. They should have race seats in the shop that you can sit in with the helmet on and test how it feels when in a seat. Heat tests of helmets in magazines have shown that black or white makes no difference to temps inside a helmet so don't let colour sway your choice.

Offline YSS

I did some reading and chose to get one that's SNELL and DOT rated. From what I gathered the SNELL are rated for more than one impact in the same spot where as the DOT is done after one hit.

The idea being that you might hit your head in the same place more than once - the SNELL foam is harder and hence more likely to transmit an injury like a sprain or a strain or general muscle pain (all that rhymes  :eek:) but absorbs more hits the DOT only is softer (so it's nice on your head) but absorbs just the one impact in the one spot.

After you find one that is light enough, cool looking enough, comfortable enough - double check that the foam can come out for washing  :thumbsup:

keen to hear about a good helmet where the foam comes out for washing - have you used one?  Its a much needed feature on an otherwise perfect Arai...

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Agreed on washable foam inserts.....pity my Arai and Bell havent got them

Latest Discussions