Offline dkabab

Have you been under a rock lately?

apparently so, i don't really follow this stuff. i can see that it would have a fairly low CD, but i wonder if that is any benefit really, unless they are trying to push energy efficiency instead of a HP race. F1 cars have a cd of ~0.7 but obviously running high downforce causes that. this thing looks like it would be around 0.30 or lower. do indy cars just go around in circles like nascar? i thought they turned corners too, this wouldnt have too much sticking it to the ground i would think....

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
apparently so, i don't really follow this stuff. i can see that it would have a fairly low CD, but i wonder if that is any benefit really, unless they are trying to push energy efficiency instead of a HP race. F1 cars have a cd of ~0.7 but obviously running high downforce causes that. this thing looks like it would be around 0.30 or lower. do indy cars just go around in circles like nascar? i thought they turned corners too, this wouldnt have too much sticking it to the ground i would think....

Yeah I have had troubles accepting this as a circuit racer.

and to be honest i still don't get it, as an exercise on economy i would be interested in hearing a comparison of the Petrol / Electric Audi / Toyota and the Diesel Audi compared to the Nissan. Would have thought the little 1.6L motor would need to rev pretty hard to get its power as it won't have much torque.

As for Tires, speaking to some Michelin people the winning Audi did the race on only 4 sets of tires

At the end of the day its a race, doesn't really matter if you use minimal fuel / tires if your last there is no point, which  could be a negative way of looking at it, but with all the people i work with we race and work for the WIN
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline adam01

As for Tires, speaking to some Michelin people the winning Audi did the race on only 4 sets of tires

Incredible ........pitstops say avg. evry 40-50 mins , say on 6th tire change,  must have been a big + time advantage 

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Indycar is at least 2/3 circuit racing
And a great mix of circuits to

I used to love it in the mid 90s when zanardi, villeneuve, tracy, andretti etc were at the top of their game

It was then ruined by a split to an all oval series started by the owners of the indianapolis track (irl) and the remaining few non irl teams renamed cart

They since reformed and are back to circuits mainly, but the chassis is now standard, there's fewer engine and tyre choices and its just not the same

Hence its hard to even find a telecast these days

Offline v8fans

• Name: Scott
Indycar is at least 2/3 circuit racing
And a great mix of circuits to

I used to love it in the mid 90s when zanardi, villeneuve, tracy, andretti etc were at the top of their game

It was then ruined by a split to an all oval series started by the owners of the indianapolis track (irl) and the remaining few non irl teams renamed cart

They since reformed and are back to circuits mainly, but the chassis is now standard, there's fewer engine and tyre choices and its just not the same

Hence its hard to even find a telecast these days

Couldn't agreed more. Montoya was great to watch too.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala