Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

The point of the GTR system tho is it's supposed to know when it's on a racetrack and disable the nanny functions appropriately.

wasn't that GPS based and only in Japan?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
wasn't that GPS based and only in Japan?

Could be right...

We know that the Nissan GT-R's ECU wizardry is impressive, but this little tidbit left us in awe. According to our friends over at the GTChannel, the GT-R's integrated computer limits the vehicle's speed in Japan to 111 mph (180 km/h), but once the GPS system detects that you've arrived at a domestic circuit, it removes the top speed limiter for all-out track assaults. In the U.S., they've bumped up the electronically-limited top speed to 156 mph (250 km/h), but there's no integration with the GPS here in the States, meaning that anyone that wants to go faster on track has to have the ECU modifed. Nissan has made several overtures that the GT-R's ECU will be a tough nut to crack, but we're sure that enterprising tuners both here and abroad will be able to coax a few extra ponies out of the twin-turbo'd 3.8-liter mill and remove any electronic nannies that go with it.
Haven't done all the research, I just remember hearing about it over a year ago - thought it would be worldwide.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Haven't done all the research, I just remember hearing about it over a year ago - thought it would be worldwide.

I don't even have Mallala race track identified on my BMW Sat Nav maps or Tom Tom's....so the car ain't gonna know where it's at aside from "in the middle of nowhere".

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
My thought was with the techno wizardry it would be an updatable thing pushed to all cars via Nissan HQ or some such thing.

Wouldn't it suck to be out at a racetrack burning through the field on the road to triumph and lose GPS signal and subsequently have the car hamstrung...

Offline CortinaD

What the owner told me was the fastest he had driven it was 1.16's but someone else drove his car on the same day and did 1.14's.  :scratchchin: .. as you said...both are quick, but I was expecting 13's.

With a stop watch I was getting 1:15 for the GTR for most of the day but I suspect someone else took it out at the end because it was getting 1:20s.

Offline funkyr

Offline YSS

With a stop watch I was getting 1:15 for the GTR for most of the day but I suspect someone else took it out at the end because it was getting 1:20s.

did you time anything else with the stopwatch?

Offline YSS

the cup car that was there was doing 11's and he was very dissapointed. He told me he should be doing 9's once the car is setup properly.
i think 997 cup cars when they where here a few months back where in the 1.11's so 1.09's is out there
V8 supercars where lapping in 1.08

1.09 is ambitious

Offline CortinaD

did you time anything else with the stopwatch?

Yep, Chris in the F430 was doing 1:20s for the few laps at the end of the day, that Blue modified RX7 was consistently doing mid 1:19s when following the R35 and Aris was doing 1:16/7.