Linked Events

• Pirelli Gran Turismo series: Sat, 01 Mar, 2008 - Sun, 02 Mar, 2008
  • Pirelli Gran Turismo - Calder: Sat, 26 Apr, 2008 - Sun, 27 Apr, 2008

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ok, please explain if it's not the suspension and the shockies aren't hiting the bump stops, then besides driving on shit roads, what was making it bounce so much?

Stiff springs, like I said to start with.  Coming through a corner and clipping the apex and getting on the power the car looked unsettled and bounced along halfway up the straight - whereas Scud's car was very smooth.

Was Scud's time that much off the pace or close to the pace?

Him and the Viper spent most of the time battling for 3rd, a long way off the pace of 1st and 2nd.

Offline Laminator

• https://www.facebook.com/photoesel/

You've now got me totally confused there Gungudin, but hey, I'm just a humble banjo player.

lol. :D

Offline beama

• Two-headed sister chaser

Stiff springs, like I said to start with.  Coming through a corner and clipping the apex and getting on the power the car looked unsettled and bounced along halfway up the straight - whereas Scud's car was very smooth.

Him and the Viper spent most of the time battling for 3rd, a long way off the pace of 1st and 2nd.

But then you said you didn't mean suspension travel, hence the confusion.

With regard to the times, one could draw the conclusion that maybe we shouldn't race unless we win or come very close....not very logical or good for motorsport or any other sport.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I think it will be a great series - reminiscent of the original Gran Turismo video game where you run what you brung and just aspire to work your way up to the top purse.

The commentators gave some reasons for the empty field and said there would be a lot more competitors and varied machinery in future rounds.  This round had two Maserati Trofeo cars, two Porsche Cup Cars, and a Viper.

Offline waz356

It must be hard to have a national 'series' with 5 cars at the first round. A rather embarasing effort from the organisers really. More surprising is that SBS considered it worth of being broadcast.  :confused:

Good on scud for having a go but surely the GT championship or Carrera Cup would be a better way to go?

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

to answer a few questions

1 pless go fuck yourself

2 my car is the same as the current cup cars getting around , the track was smooth so the car looked smooth , the car is sprung way too hard

3 i can't run in the GT series as i have a current spec cup car , and i can't run it in any major CAMS events

4 my best time was 61.4 secs i think . first time in the car , and first time i had seen the track . started out with 65 secs i think , so i'm happy with the result . remember i am a novice with plenty to learn . the cup cars did 59.5 secs in quali in 2006 , but the track is faster than back then , and they go there again this year i think for the 3rd round of cup car , so if the back markers are doing 60 secs , i'll be happy . the pirelli tyres are harder than the michys so i think there is some time to gain if we could change tyres .
i would never think of running cup car , too expensive with too many good drivers , i'd just get in the way like some of the cup car guys now . i'm not making excuses but the 2 massas have paddles , so just come to the corner , hit the brakes , flick the paddles and go again , much easier than trying to heel toe through the gears , plus my car hasn't got ABS.                                                     

5 5 cars is better than no cars , porsche have done a deal with this series to run the old 996 cup cars in the same race , so at the next meet we could have 15 to 20 cars . not many series get tv coverage  and once people see the exposure you can get , they will come and race .

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I think it will be a great series - reminiscent of the original Gran Turismo video game where you run what you brung and just aspire to work your way up to the top purse.

The commentators gave some reasons for the empty field and said there would be a lot more competitors and varied machinery in future rounds.  This round had two Maserati Trofeo cars, two Porsche Cup Cars, and a Viper.

The yellow porsche with barbed wire sticker job is a GT3 R (with RS upgrade)... which is a MY2000 model GT2 spec car
Scuds cup car is current GT3Cupcar... which is same speed as FIA GT3.

The RS has much stiffer springs which make it bounce off the bumps... also, the shock control is inadequate... amplifying the problem. It can be tuned down to a great extent with some effort... which requires driver feedback and data collection/analysis.

Scuds cup car has (or should have if running in ccup series) non adjustable shocks and only uses one set of springs homologated by cupcar series... they're not as bad as 996's, but still not great.

Scud did a pretty good job for a debut race... It's a shame there weren't more runners... I think he would have stayed top 10 in a 20 car "typical" grid.

why no TV interview scud? Camera shy?  :cool: (or did I miss it?)

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

The yellow porsche with barbed wire sticker job is a GT3 R (with RS upgrade)... which is a MY2000 model GT2 spec car
Scuds cup car is current GT3Cupcar... which is same speed as FIA GT3.

The RS has much stiffer springs which make it bounce off the bumps... also, the shock control is inadequate... amplifying the problem. It can be tuned down to a great extent with some effort... which requires driver feedback and data collection/analysis.

Scuds cup car has (or should have if running in ccup series) non adjustable shocks and only uses one set of springs homologated by cupcar series... they're not as bad as 996's, but still not great.

Scud did a pretty good job for a debut race... It's a shame there weren't more runners... I think he would have stayed top 10 in a 20 car "typical" grid.

why no TV interview scud? Camera shy?  :cool: (or did I miss it?)
i got infront of the viper in the 3rd race , and if i had held him off , which i did for 4 laps easily then fucked up coming into turn one , then i would of got the ugly melon on tv , never mind always next time . my car would of been the fastest no doubt in the race with the right set of hands driving . see how we go at calder , i should get quicker .
[/quote]

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
my car would of been the fastest no doubt in the race with the right set of hands driving . see how we go at calder , i should get quicker .

The Viper is the fastest car there.... in the right hands... that thing is (was) really well sorted when Crick had it.

Calder is just 2 drag strips... Viper territiory...

BUT, your car is very fast... at Clipsal... 430GT3 time was same as 997 cup car time

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?24/02/2008.ADEL.Q4

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?24/02/2008.ADEL.Q7

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

The Viper is the fastest car there.... in the right hands... that thing is (was) really well sorted when Crick had it.

Calder is just 2 drag strips... Viper territiory...

BUT, your car is very fast... at Clipsal... 430GT3 time was same as 997 cup car time

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?24/02/2008.ADEL.Q4

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?24/02/2008.ADEL.Q7

that's scary , nothing in it but a coat of paint.