Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

Thanks all for your advice.

For those of you not familiar with the TiTs beetle, It is already waaaaaaay down the track car/ race car route. It is way closer to track than road.

Scott, I value your opinion very highly but I can make your $150k look like a hobby with the costs I have sunk into the bug so far to get her to where she is now. Almost useless for any road work........too harsh, smelly, noisy, stripped out, and way too many parts that just don't work on the road.

We may have to put weight back in to run at the right power/weight ratio so don't worry about it being a road car turned to a race car, that was done years ago.

Can't sell it, want to race and want to buy new road toy................don't wee on my parade!
Always Gunna

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

You would be far, far better off buying a proper race car rather than trying to reinvent the wheel and convert your road car.
You will end up with a car that is ruined for normal road driving and it won't be competitive with the full blown race weapons.

Been there, done that, blown a fortune and came away disillusioned. I spent $150k building an RX-7 twin turbo Targa car and it was a nightmare. Just after I finished it, Mazda released the RX-7 SP for $110k *sigh*
Mine was as reliable as a 2 bob watch; but shit it was fast..................for an hour or so until it blew up something, or multiple somethings. Managed to come 13th outright one year, blew it up comprehensively front to back the 2nd year. Sold the remains for $7000 last year  :doh:

Philly might be wrong on many things; but he is spot on when he says "road cars are for the road and race cars are for the track". They are totally different animals.

Sorry to rain on your parade :(
sometimes I feel this site is therapy for you?  :p

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
sometimes I feel this site is therapy for you?  :p

I've done all the dumb things...................normally more than once  :p
That RX-7 is one of the few automotive adventures that I actually regret.

If people can learn from my stuff ups, can't see any harm in that.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
I've done all the dumb things...................normally more than once  :p
That RX-7 is one of the few automotive adventures that I actually regret.

If people can learn from my stuff ups, can't see any harm in that.

TiTs isn't a learner   :)

Having seen his car though - even describing it as a road car is being very creative with language. No doubt it'll be quick on track ... as always the challenge is going to be reliability when it's run at 8/10ths for any period of time.

Good luck TiTs - you're way too far down this track to turn back now   :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Thanks all for your advice.
For those of you not familiar with the TiTs beetle, It is already waaaaaaay down the track car/ race car route. It is way closer to track than road.
Scott, I value your opinion very highly but I can make your $150k look like a hobby with the costs I have sunk into the bug so far to get her to where she is now. Almost useless for any road work........too harsh, smelly, noisy, stripped out, and way too many parts that just don't work on the road.
We may have to put weight back in to run at the right power/weight ratio so don't worry about it being a road car turned to a race car, that was done years ago.
Can't sell it, want to race and want to buy new road toy................don't wee on my parade!

I didn't realise it was already very heavily modified. In that case, the horse has already bolted, no sense shutting the gate now ;)
Good luck with it; but more importantly hope it continues to be fun. For me when it stopped being fun, it was time to give it away.

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

I didn't realise it was already very heavily modified. In that case, the horse has already bolted, no sense shutting the gate now ;)
Good luck with it; but more importantly hope it continues to be fun. For me when it stopped being fun, it was time to give it away.

I agree entirely.........it always happens too. I gave up racing motor bikes because packing the trailer and the gear up and then unpacking when you get home became a chore, same thing happened years ago when I used to rally and now this stands a real good chance of going the same way. But..........and there always is a but............it should be an absolute hoot until we get to that stage!  I'm 51 and I have to get this outta my system before it's too late. Whilst I cant do the whole shooting match the way Scud can, I can afford to have someone twirl the spanners and look after the tyres and get the car to the track and all I have to do is make sure I dont ruin my day or anyone elses by doing something stupid. Years of track days and supersprints just are not providing the satisfaction I need. And...............I get to put something else into the road toy slot!   
Always Gunna

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Hey. Lets go shopping.
C'mon, do it!

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

Hey. Lets go shopping.

absolutely! your boys are going to the basketball in my box on the 15th so you need tickets from me. Why not a planning meeting on the 14th for lunch and ticket handover and then make shopping plans?
Always Gunna

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

I agree entirely.........it always happens too. I gave up racing motor bikes because packing the trailer and the gear up and then unpacking when you get home became a chore, same thing happened years ago when I used to rally and now this stands a real good chance of going the same way. But..........and there always is a but............it should be an absolute hoot until we get to that stage!  I'm 51 and I have to get this outta my system before it's too late. Whilst I cant do the whole shooting match the way Scud can, I can afford to have someone twirl the spanners and look after the tyres and get the car to the track and all I have to do is make sure I dont ruin my day or anyone elses by doing something stupid. Years of track days and supersprints just are not providing the satisfaction I need. And...............I get to put something else into the road toy slot!

Sounds perfectly reasonable, particularly the bit about getting out there and doing it while you can. I'm not far behind you so I know what you mean. :)  I really admire Ted Huglin for being out there at an age where I will be happy if I'm still breathing  :thumbsup:

No doubt about it, having someone else doing the loading and spannering makes it easier to have fun. I would never take my race car out if I had to do all of that. Look forward to reading about your fun next year :)