Offline dkabab

Might as well post my suggestions here... i'll keep it concise. If you want a longer copy, let me know.
Most of these suggestions are nothing to do with the track as such... more so the surroundings.

- Spectators

First of all, the track needs to have ample viewing locations. The main spectator stands are usually placed on the outside of corners, however not all corners should be paid for seating, general admission spectators should at least have several good viewing points and not just the straights.
I would suggest one or more manicured grassy “Hills” like at the Adelaide oval, where spectators can sit and watch the track from an elevated view point, this can be a dry zone and family friendly area. Maybe with a large screen (temporary) across from it.

- The Track

The track should generally be at a lower level to the off track section. it doesn't have to be significantly lower, but enough so spectators can see the track easier. Most of this raised track section should be on the outside of the track, you don’t really want hills in the middle. Also with a sloped side of the track, people can be 10-20 deep as opposed to 1-2 people deep on flat ground. you will find this almost everywhere on the great euro circuits like monza/spa/nurburgring etc...

- Surrounds

Lots of trees, you don’t have to plant a forest, but the more trees the better. Not sure if you’ve been to Monza and Spa or not, actually Adelaide and Melbournes f1 circuits are a decent example too, but monza and spa are by far the best examples. I would possibly contact the pine tree plantations into growing trees… it drastically lowers the temperature in summer, and will block strong winds in winter. No one wants another windy dust bowl like mallala. and it will probably make the greenies happy... a carbon neutral race track :p

- Accommodation

A campground, off the track would encourage spectators to stay there over a race weekend. This could be especially helpful if cabins are offered for race teams that want to stay there on race weekends. It would add extra revenue to the track and be more inviting for people coming over for grass roots events.

There is more but i'l leave it at that for now.

Offline tdc911

Would love to hear on the progress of this project.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline tdc911

http://www.thebend.com.au/

Thanks.

Am curious at to what would be required to get it up to a FIA Category 1 circuit classification.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Thanks.

Am curious at to what would be required to get it up to a FIA Category 1 circuit classification.

I have no idea but that only gets them F1.
So why would they care about it?
They already have Moto GP and the V8's. The F1 would probably only cost them money and it is signed up to Melb for some time to come.

Does the WEC require that category and would a WEC race here in Adel sell enough tickets to cover the cost???

I am definitely going to go see the Moto GP there but am unsure if I would go to watch an endurance race

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
For a circuit to be allowed to hold international events, it needs an FIA License. this license is given to the circuit after an inspection, and a license has a number of Grades on it (from 1 to 6). For a track to hold F1 events it must have a Grade 1 license (which is very hard to get as the regulations and requirements are very strict), Grade 2 will allow other Formula cars and LMP/ALMS cars, Grade 3 is good enough for GT cars, and Grade 4 is enough for Touring Cars.

Regulations for all category tracks include:
- No straight must be longer than 2km
- Total circuit length is recommended to be less than 7km
- the track width foreseen should be at least 12 m
- Where the track width changes, the transition should be made as gradually as possible, at a rate not greater than 1 m in 20 m total width.
- The width of the starting grid should be at least 15 m
- This width must be maintained through to the exit of the first corner
- Existing circuits requesting international recognition but which are narrower, may be approved if national events are regularly held on them
- The gradient of the start/finish straight should not exceed 2%.

The requirements for a Grade 1 track are even tougher, and they restrict even the verges, run-off areas, type of track paint used and the minimum width of a line of paint, etc. For sure, all F1 tracks need a Race Control centre, Marshal Posts, Pits, Paddock area and Medical Centre, and a Helicopter landing space. The full rules for circuits may be found here: http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf... (this is an official FIA document)

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I dont think they are interested in F1. Every F1 event held in Australia has lost money, not something that theyre really into.

An interesting, long and detaailed article from The Advertise newspaper on Sam Shahin. He wants to buy back his first car, a 120Y and has spent years searching for it.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle/sa-lifestyle/why-smokemart-and-on-the-run-are-creating-an-80m-motorsport-park/news-story/61cf248ffa817f73cdfe46533841e105?nk=b7cabbb5c723b7873de863a3dbbf2265-1463459785

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
I dont think they are interested in F1. Every F1 event held in Australia has lost money, not something that theyre really into.

An interesting, long and detaailed article from The Advertise newspaper on Sam Shahin. He wants to buy back his first car, a 120Y and has spent years searching for it.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle/sa-lifestyle/why-smokemart-and-on-the-run-are-creating-an-80m-motorsport-park/news-story/61cf248ffa817f73cdfe46533841e105?nk=b7cabbb5c723b7873de863a3dbbf2265-1463459785

If he really wanted to find his beloved 120y he would have found it by now.

That article is fixated on his 120y i wanted to read about Sam and his Motorsport park too much dribble and article filler from the journalist.