Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.targawest.com.au

2008 Winner Steven Jones dedicates his win...

What a fitting end to Father's Day with 2008 QUIT Targa West’s Competition Modern winner, Steven Jones, dedicating his win to his late father Warren Jones.

“Thank my dad for everything he did for me, my old man is the reason I wanted this for so long. He passed away when I was 17 and I’ve done this for him, I’ve given him what he wanted!”

Perth’s Steven Jones has become the youngest competitor to win QUIT Targa West, taking the honours in the Competition Modern class ahead of Jim Richards (Porsche 911 GT2) and Kevin Weeks (Lamborghini Superleggera).

Behind the wheel of a Nissan Skyline GTR, 24-year-old Jones took the lead from Weeks on Saturday and held off the far more experienced tarmac drivers over the 10 stages run today to win by 15 seconds.

Proving just how tough the QUIT Targa West competition is, Jones is the third winner of the Modern Competition class in events four year history

Former World Rally Championship driver, Alister McRae dominated the Competition Classic Class from the opening stage of the rally.  After 31 stages, McRae crossed the final stop control with a total lead of 7minutes 27seconds, ahead of David Moir (Datsun 240Z) in second and Michael Miller (Holden VH SS Commodore) in third.

Kym Illman (Porsche 997 Turbo) took honours in the Challenge Modern Class, only six seconds quicker than second placed Simon Gunson (Ford F6 Typhoon).  Paul Davies (Holden HDT VC Retro) finished in third.

Andy Van Kann (Toyota Levin), who was joined by two Camp Quality nominated co-drivers, Brook Martinsen and James Marquet, won the Challenge Classic Class, finishing an impressive 3minutes 47seconds ahead of Nick Rahimatulla (Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV 105 Series) in second. Martin Eyer (Triumph TR8) was third.

Steven Jones:
“It was a learning curve for us, the car is so new and I didn’t know what to do it is so electrical.”

“(Over the weekend) I learnt the car, every hour I spent in the car I learnt how to drive it and we just became stronger and stronger, it was so good!”

“I don’t know who to thank; all the people here that helped me come here and get what I’ve wanted for so long.”

Jim Richards:
“Young Steve’s done a fantastic job, he’s definitely got a bright future and we’re really rapt that he’s won. We would have liked to have won but we didn’t so very, very happy for him.”

Barry Oliver:
“It’s been one of the most enjoyable rallies we’ve done and certainly one of the toughest. We went into the last stage only 3 seconds in front of Kevin weeks and he beat us on the stage previously so the pressure was on. It’s getting a bit tough for us older guys out there.”

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Weird reporting.  They've gone into a lot of detail, but seem to have forgotten to mention what McRae was driving.  Or have I misread something?

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

They've gone into a lot of detail, but seem to have forgotten to mention what McRae was driving. 

Because normally you wouldn't need to ask, I guess that will have to change now something other than a Porsche won the main event :-).

Alister McRae was driving a Porsche 911 RS.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
I guess that will have to change now something other than a Porsche won the main event :-).

You read my mind.  That's why the omission stood out.  Was wondering if he'd changed camp too.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
GTR in-car video - love the gay club music they listen to while rallying :p

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32rZzWsp1Ao" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32rZzWsp1Ao</a>