Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

As it was a ridiculously hot day, heat exhaustion as a possible reason was widely speculated by other drivers in other categories of the event. I certainly asked that question to two of the professional race car drivers that I met and both thought it was unlikely, which surprised me. I've never driven in a 60c cabin but have played golf in 42c which almost knocked me out.. hence I would have thought the former would be much worse.

Whether or not it was one of the reasons we'll have to wait for the experts formal report. However, would you other professional and competitive drivers out there agree with the proposal to defer an event due to temp? In your experience does it significantly affect your capability?
Unfortunately many entrants do little or no preperation including exercise. Defer an event due to temp? No way. Our resident rally expert is going on like there has never been a race/rally held in unpleasent hot conditions before CA. You can fit a seperate A/C unit to any car, though the resident expert feels this wouldn't work on older cars. He is wrong, though for only the first time.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
As it was a ridiculously hot day, heat exhaustion as a possible reason was widely speculated by other drivers in other categories of the event. I certainly asked that question to two of the professional race car drivers that I met and both thought it was unlikely, which surprised me. I've never driven in a 60c cabin but have played golf in 42c which almost knocked me out.. hence I would have thought the former would be much worse.

Whether or not it was one of the reasons we'll have to wait for the experts formal report. However, would you other professional and competitive drivers out there agree with the proposal to defer an event due to temp? In your experience does it significantly affect your capability?

Aemel, the police have my footage for the day.......they have already indicated that our condition deteriorated up until we got out of the car in the Central Market. I watched it again this morning and looking closely.....yes we were fading away mentally and physically
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
Unfortunately many entrants do little or no preperation including exercise. Defer an event due to temp? No way. Our resident rally expert is going on like there has never been a race/rally held in unpleasent hot conditions before CA. You can fit a seperate A/C unit to any car, though the resident expert feels this wouldn't work on older cars. He is wrong, though for only the first time.

who btw is the resident expert.

your credibility got shot down with your lack of empathy......and I will maintain what I said last week about you..........and I am not a lone voice, and of course how many Classic Adelaide's have you done in 43 degree heat?..........None
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

who btw is the resident expert.

your credibility got shot down with your lack of empathy......and I will maintain what I said last week about you..........and I am not a lone voice, and of course how many Classic Adelaide's have you done in 43 degree heat?..........None
Empathy? What about your usual comments when people pass away?
Who gives a fuck,children die everyday blah blah blah. You're going crazy.

So because I haven't done a CA in hot conditions, I've never faced anything worse? As usual you have no idea.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Take up circuit racing instead.....

1) You get multiple chances to get the "perfect" lap... so it's as much of a challenge/satisfaction, if not more for a perfectionist type.

2) You get to race door to door with your mates AND against the clock..

3) There are no trees jumping out in front of you. There's safety barriers and tyre walls etc.

4) You get to stop and refresh every 20 minutes or so.

5) You need less support/logistics.

6) It's cheaper.

7) It's safer.

Rallying gives you more competition time for sure though..... but you don't hear many people going home from a circuit race saying they wanted more track time.

I'd happily let my children go circuit racing, but I'd worry myself sick if they wanted to Rally.

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

Take up circuit racing instead.....

1) You get multiple chances to get the "perfect" lap... so it's as much of a challenge/satisfaction, if not more for a perfectionist type.

2) You get to race door to door with your mates AND against the clock..

3) There are no trees jumping out in front of you. There's safety barriers and tyre walls etc.

4) You get to stop and refresh every 20 minutes or so.

5) You need less support/logistics.

6) It's cheaper.

7) It's safer.

Rallying gives you more competition time for sure though..... but you don't hear many people going home from a circuit race saying they wanted more track time.

I'd happily let my children go circuit racing, but I'd worry myself sick if they wanted to Rally.

Correct! And that goes againt my grain in so many ways.............rallying will always be my first love and it what I built my car to do, but it is so much more dangerous than track racing that it is not funny. Before Scud and Goober start squaring off, I am sure they will agree with me that track work does not give you the buzz that rally does but in most cases, the consequences are not the same either. There is not so much of a ffront of brain knowledge that the trees are flashing by and that you are near a precipice, you are very focused on what you are doing at that exact moment in time, but after the stage or the rally, you inevitably are engaged in a discussion with someone who relates an instance that gives you chills as you know you were on the edge there or you slid at the same spot or whatever.
I have done many track events but i never get nervous before the start and I always feel good but not elated at the end................at rallies my guts tie themselves in knots at the start and I feel such a huge rush at the end......for me, there is nothing like it.
Always Gunna

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I have rallied on dirt and have also circuit raced an open wheeler.

Rally driving is so more rewarding to do. You get the rush from sliding, jumping and controlling the car that racing does not provide. Being able to correctly anticipate the track ahead and learning to read what might be over the hill or around the corner and then find you are faster than all the others is a great reward. Ehen I rallied was before pace noting so it was just the intersections and cautions that were printed in the route instructions.

At a race track you are looking for the perfect lap and it's great when you have it. The one thing from a driving point of view that racing provides is the wheel to wheel battle and making that amazing passing move under brakes or around the outside.

Once in Mt Crawford Forrest in a rally I could see the lights of a car ahead and that made me try harder to get them before the control. I passed the guy on the inside of the corner just before control on the wide forest road. We passed the timing mark side by side. My navigator for that rally was the first time he had navigated for me as he normally drove his own car said he had never enjoyed a stage as much. (Might add to this story that I was in my old 82 Subaru which had over 200k on the clock against a 1600 Datsun Rally car. It was the Dot Hickmore Series and did not require a Roll Bar at the time.)

I would love to Rally again but I am more likely to go racing as the thought of what happened last week can and will happen again. My rallying came to an end after performing a very neat end for end roll in my Datsun 1600 after just clipping a tree.

Offline velocity_racing

From my perspective as a gravel driver (and occasional tarmac person) is that rallying (especially tarmac) will always be dangerous, but what motorsport isnt (maybe except motorkhana :)).. If people prepare themselves and their cars propperly, and drive to their ability etc then there is no reason why it can not be a very safe motorsport.

I do feel that tarmac prehaps is slightly more dangerous than gravel, just based on the fact that you go from massive grip to nothing in a split second, however on gravel its nearly always a constant, that coupled with the higher top speeds (ive done over 200 on gravel, but nearly always in a straight line) but not for the lenght of time or around very fast corners like on tarmac..  That and it seems that the standard of rollcage (ie bolt in, or little side intrusion protection) and car strength is usually less than the average for gravel cars.

For me nothing gets as good as a gravel stage, and i do feel safer going flat over a crest in 5th gear on the gravel than i do drivng down the freeway in peak hour. I feel very comfortable in the level of saftey equipment that we currenly have, including a very very comprehensive roll cage, and well built car.

Hoever what happened to Garry and David was a tragic accident, but i do belive that it was just that, an accident, and doesnt really reflect on the saftey standard.

As for what Goober has said about saftey equipment, or recomended changes, i like most of them..

Not sure that i like the the idea of wearing helmets in transport stages, as that really wont help with heat recovery, and cars already need external power kill switches. I like the idea of having fluid availible in the car.

Cheers
Lewis Parin

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

While I understand FF's sentiments and logic, for the touring guys like me, it isnt about racing anyway. I can tell you, the CA experience in TT class can't be duplicated at the track.

Offline dkabab

While I understand FF's sentiments and logic, for the touring guys like me, it isnt about racing anyway. I can tell you, the CA experience in TT class can't be duplicated at the track.

Hope to do it soon..... Looks like a great experience!