Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

the lows of rallying are too great, and you have to what so long to have another go at the event. a year is a very long time to wait. with circuit racing, you can judge how you are going and improving. with rallies it's hard to tell if you are improving as a driver or going faster, the science isn't great, and data can't help you. with circuit if i don't achieve the outcomes i am looking for, i can try again 2 months later. as ff said it's much cheaper and for me , more rewarding. something like mt buller is as close as it gets to telling if you are improving. the same road 8 times is great, and doesn't mean it is less challenging.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Ok, to clarify, My sentiments are mainly against Tarmac rallying....

gravel and dirt and snow are safer, as speeds are lower. Still more dangerous than Circuit racing,  but Tarmac rallying is SO much more dangerous than anything.

I turnover a lot of work preparing Tarmac rally cars, so my sentiments are REALLY bad business.... but I have personal experience of the dangers, and to lose a friend/customer in a car I prep would be a show stopper.

In a way, I hope Garys death serves a purpose... partly to force technical changes, but MUCH more importantly... to act as a mental foot note...... It can happen to anyone... Not just the Peter Brocks that are driving at 10/10ths all the time, but to nice guys that are there for fun and have families and DON'T deliberatly take unnecessary risks....

Cabin temperature is EASILY controlled. It's mandatory in FIA GT racing to maintain a certain cabin temp. Simple aftermarket pressure differential A/C units can be installed very quickly and cost effectively... they sap no horsepower and are very reliable. The Mosler comes as std with one, but they are small and light and will fit into anything.

As for the buzz of rallying being greater than that of circuit racing... well, it just aint fact. They each have their own buzz.... rallying is dicing with death at ALL times.... if that's the kind of buzz that excites you, put your affairs in order and go for your life.

if you want EQUAL buzz and greater technical satisfaction (chance to repeat until perfect, or at least tangible personal driving technique improvements)., and to go home to your family in the evening.... circuit racing is for you.

The rally event is great for end of day camerarderie and general social activites... but that's no good to you if you're dead or in a wheelchair.

Offline akatyk

This is going to sound random, but I love F1 (as nothing else is faster around circuit  or sounds better) and thus I love the circuit, hehe.

Offline YSS

Ok, to clarify, My sentiments are mainly against Tarmac rallying....

gravel and dirt and snow are safer, as speeds are lower. Still more dangerous than Circuit racing,  but Tarmac rallying is SO much more dangerous than anything.

I turnover a lot of work preparing Tarmac rally cars, so my sentiments are REALLY bad business.... but I have personal experience of the dangers, and to lose a friend/customer in a car I prep would be a show stopper.

In a way, I hope Garys death serves a purpose... partly to force technical changes, but MUCH more importantly... to act as a mental foot note...... It can happen to anyone... Not just the Peter Brocks that are driving at 10/10ths all the time, but to nice guys that are there for fun and have families and DON'T deliberatly take unnecessary risks....

Cabin temperature is EASILY controlled. It's mandatory in FIA GT racing to maintain a certain cabin temp. Simple aftermarket pressure differential A/C units can be installed very quickly and cost effectively... they sap no horsepower and are very reliable. The Mosler comes as std with one, but they are small and light and will fit into anything.

As for the buzz of rallying being greater than that of circuit racing... well, it just aint fact. They each have their own buzz.... rallying is dicing with death at ALL times.... if that's the kind of buzz that excites you, put your affairs in order and go for your life.

if you want EQUAL buzz and greater technical satisfaction (chance to repeat until perfect, or at least tangible personal driving technique improvements)., and to go home to your family in the evening.... circuit racing is for you.

The rally event is great for end of day camerarderie and general social activites... but that's no good to you if you're dead or in a wheelchair.

can i add that iam enjoying reading some great perspectives on a real issue.
thanks to all posting.

I will happily drive at 10/10ths on the track but have not had the stomach to enter a tarmac rally.  I figure if the stopwatch is ticking and the red mist falls, anything can happen.   I was watching a stage of CA and envied the discipline of those driving at 6 or 7 tenths.  I also started walking towards a car i thought was about to have a major prang (thinking i was about to be firt on the scene!).  He managed to get it back from about a metre off the armco and a 70 degree slide (no exaggeration).

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ladies - FFS please keep personal BS out of this, I already privately asked to keep this civil, take it to PMs from here.

If you *must* vent publicly, do it elsewhere, your crap will just be deleted here, I don't care whether you've asked me to drive your car and will have a hissy fit, personal crusades are not welcome here. If you can't post without the personal digs - unplug the keyboard because you'll waste your time. :cool:

• Soap Dodger

I don't care whether you've asked me to drive your car and will have a hissy fit,

dream on, you're not driving MY GETZ  :irked:

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

As for the buzz of rallying being greater than that of circuit racing... well, it just aint fact. They each have their own buzz.... rallying is dicing with death at ALL times....

All times?? Both circuit racing and rallying are risky. But I don't see how rallying is dicing with death at all times. Some street circuits look to be just as risky as a tree-lined high speed tarmac stage. Both disciplines depend on a large extent on the attitude of the driver, both can also be subject to the extremes of intangibles that can cause serious injury or death.

• Soap Dodger

All times?? Both circuit racing and rallying are risky. But I don't see how rallying is dicing with death at all times. Some street circuits look to be just as risky as a tree-lined high speed tarmac stage. Both disciplines depend on a large extent on the attitude of the driver, both can also be subject to the extremes of intangibles that can cause serious injury or death.

Ok, clearly not ALL times, but heavily weighted that way.

Even street circuits have full concrete walls set up to create lower impact glancing blows rather than sudden stops, wherever possible.

But I also think street circuits are too dangerous too. Because they're quite like tarmac rallying!

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

But I also think street circuits are too dangerous too. Because they're quite like tarmac rallying!

That's what I thought too.