Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
and of course..

in circuit racing, you'll most likely only hurt yourself...

the guilt of hurting a co-driver as a surviving rally driver is terrible.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Wow can't we rip our teeth into this topic...

I have done tours but no rallies, I have been on a track once.
Now that my experiance is clear i can say my 2 cents worth.

Track weather against the clock or door to door  has to be the safer method of motorsport.
barriers, gravel traps, tyre walls so so it is just safer. When I was on the track with out a roll cage there was never a fear of danger.

CA style events is what I wan't to do the most,

It forces the requirement of control to a new level (I don't mean car control) You are controling yourself much more and that is where the challange comes in. almost anyone can go to a track do a squillion laps in a car and perfect or close to pefect the time, it is trial and error against the weather and the car. There is no human reason to go anthing other than flat out.

Rallying (all forms) have the extra ???? question in the equsion, I can not see around the corner and that scares me and probably everyone else. So that is where the extra control comes into it, controling the fear.
That is what the appeal of rallying is.
That is what the danger is
more to control
more to avoid
more to do

more to gain
more to loose......

I watched some of CA and I did not see one person that was only going 6th tenths with out a smile on their face. I have never been to watch a track event and seen smiles as big as the slowest guys in CA.

Track work is athletics for cars. CA is an adventure in fun.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Here are my reasons why I enjoyed Classic Adelaide 2009, which was my first tarmac rally event and it was non-competitive, in order of significance:
1. The adrenaline rush when I was chasing a car or being chased
2. Driving really fast on roads that I'm reasonably familar with and using both sides of the road
3. Driving through changing terrain and weather conditions
4. The occasional sideway action whenever I lose a bit of grip and recovering from it
5. Meeting other drivers and talking about cars

It is more fun that what I get from the track nowdays. That's probably because I've done hundreds of laps around Mallala and it doesn't thrill me anymore to do lap after lap.

However, point #1-#4 means I'm exposing myself to high risk situations. Far higher that what I've ever been exposed to on the track. Maybe that's why I find it exhilirating, but is it worth the risk? Would I get as much fun if I drove slower in CA hence lowering the risk? Can I control myself and only drive 6/10ths during CA in order to be safe? At this point.. I'm swaying to the 'No' side a bit..

Would I do it again... I don't know at the moment.

Offline dkabab

I think goober sums it up well with “Simon, I’ve got a boner”

Offline CortinaD

Aemel

1. The adrenaline rush when I was chasing a car or being chased - can happen at mallala
2. Driving really fast on roads that I'm reasonably familar with and using both sides of the road
3. Driving through changing terrain and weather conditions - 50% at mallala
4. The occasional sideway action whenever I lose a bit of grip and recovering from it - happens anytime you want, safely at mallala
5. Meeting other drivers and talking about cars - happens at mallala

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

It's great that everyone has an opinion, and we are very knowledgable people in our own right, but let's be honest here........each to his own.........no amount of arguing that you do not like something and so you think it should be banned is ever going to work with this crowd, and neither it should!

If you dont want to do any rallies, or any more rallies, or even go to another rally or go to your first rally....then DON'T! If you do want to go hare-arsing around any and every race track in your car with or without cage and if you want to drive to or from an event or the shops with your cage and no helmet, do it........we all know the risks and if we elect to make the gamble, then so be it.

I beleive it is great the way that Goober and Simon reacted and acted thru the very sad and emotional experience they have had. I admire their ability to think clearly and also to make the decision to carry on with the event. I think that it would have been only lesser men that would have given up, and as I have rallied with these guys, I know them to not be found wanting for backbone.

It is sad and in many ways terrible that two really good guys have died in this event but that is the way of the sport we love. It is the clarity of living the speed and the excitement of the danger that brings us back. We do not want our friends to suffer and we most certainly do not want to suffer ourselves but this applies to life in general and we do not attempt to ban every possible thing that may cause us harm.

We have a phrase in Australia that is pretty much known to us all......."lest we forget"....and this is the true concept we should embrace here............we do not forget those that have died doing what they love and we do not judge them for doing it, but we do support their loved ones and families and we carry on, both in their memory and because we are destined to live our own lives.

Ladies and gents, start your engines and continue to use your cars the way you most enjoy and respect the choice of your peers to do the same.
Always Gunna

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Dwayne,

1. The adrenaline rush when I was chasing a car or being chased - can happen at mallala
Chasing a car through blind sweepers or being chased by a car where you can only see glimpses of their headlights behind you, gives a different sort of feeling.. doing all this whilst not knowing really well what's coming up ahead makes it even more thrilling.. and risky.

Dips, sharp bends, blind corners, debris, gravel, mist, changing elevation etc etc.. very different from Mallala..

4. The occasional sideway action whenever I lose a bit of grip and recovering from it - happens anytime you want, safely at mallala

Agreed, but doing it on a road feels more 'naughty' and thrilling..

Most of the people that go to Mallala drive track suitable cars.. in the TT section of CA, you meet all sorts of people with all sorts of cars.. bigger variety

Offline CortinaD

Dwayne,

Chasing a car through blind sweepers or being chased by a car where you can only see glimpses of their headlights behind you, gives a different sort of feeling.. doing all this whilst not knowing really well what's coming up ahead makes it even more thrilling.. and risky.

Dips, sharp bends, blind corners, debris, gravel, mist, changing elevation etc etc.. very different from Mallala..

Agreed, but doing it on a road feels more 'naughty' and thrilling..

Most of the people that go to Mallala drive track suitable cars.. in the TT section of CA, you meet all sorts of people with all sorts of cars.. bigger variety

Do you think that if we had a better facility, say similar to Phillip Island where you cannot see all the cars, there are elevation changes, somewhat blind corners, that you would still have the same sentiments regarding 1 & 2?

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Do you think that if we had a better facility, say similar to Phillip Island where you cannot see all the cars, there are elevation changes, somewhat blind corners, that you would still have the same sentiments regarding 1 & 2?

It will still be a track vs road driving experience, so I doubt it'll change my view on things. If I had to choose an activity for a day between a day at a track or a day driving the open winding roads where you can drive on both sides...i'll choose the latter.. it is more thrilling for the car that I have.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
It will still be a track vs road driving experience, so I doubt it'll change my view on things. If I had to choose an activity for a day between a day at a track or a day driving the open winding roads where you can drive on both sides...i'll choose the latter.. it is more thrilling for the car that I have.

Aemel... you're comparing track day laps at one track...Mallala... to competing in the tour section of a road Rally.

You've never raced at any track yet, right?

Racing and track day laps are VERY different..

The adrenalin rush of gridding up, then doing a race start (rolling or standing both V exciting), then actually RACING nother car is something you've not experienced...

To go racing at a track with some character, Like Eastern Creek, phillip island, Bathurst, oran Park, even winton, sandown and calder... is all very much more exciting than just doing laps.

I agree with the sentiment "each to his own"....

I'm just pointing out that rallying is easier to get in to, but MUCH more dangerous, and those two facts combined make for very high risk factor. And that risk is amplified 'cos you've got a co-driver that suffers whatever you do.

The co-driver also gains from whatever you do too, so i totally see the point to it, but the stats are just out there.