Offline CortinaD

It will still be a track vs road driving experience, so I doubt it'll change my view on things. If I had to choose an activity for a day between a day at a track or a day driving the open winding roads where you can drive on both sides...i'll choose the latter.. it is more thrilling for the car that I have.

You are making me want to do CA now!!!

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Aemel... you're comparing track day laps at one track...Mallala... to competing in the tour section of a road Rally....

Correct, I can only base my comments on what I have experienced, and can only experience, with the car that I have. It does limit to what I can do. So, with this in mind, a non-competitive road rally event would be more thrilling for me.

If one day I decide to start a mini racing team, and my maintenance boys, engineers and managers have discussed this regularly, then I would probably go for a track racing experience first before trying a road or dirt rally experience. Purely because it'll be safer for me to get into first I think.. I have fantasized participating in a competitive league locally and around the country. Maybe one day soon I'll stop fantasizing and actually research more into it..

Just for the record, I'm not saying road rallies are less or as dangerous as circuit driving.. I am saying it is more thrilling for the facilities available to me.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

You are making me want to do CA now!!!

I think YOU need to do it at least once... you'll have great fun in the M3 I guarantee it.

Be warned though.. you need to keep your head in check. There was a stage where I didn't.. I had the Jag XK-R in tail on one of the stages and there was no way I was going to let that thing come close to me.. so what did I do? Traction control off, M-mode, suspension on hard, SMG setting on 6 (max) and drove close to 9/10ths and had little care for the rules.. did I have fun? OOOOHHH YEAHHHH!!!! was it dangerous? MOST DEFINITELY!!

how do I feel about it now? regret, remorse, dissapointed that I did not control myself better. Tell ya the truth, it's the main thing thats holding me back from doing CA 2010. The red mist is real.. even more so for drivers like me who think i'm partially invulnerable.. so you know yourself best.. can you keep yourself in check?

Offline Toad

Aemel... you're comparing track day laps at one track...Mallala... to competing in the tour section of a road Rally.

You've never raced at any track yet, right?

Racing and track day laps are VERY different..

The adrenalin rush of gridding up, then doing a race start (rolling or standing both V exciting), then actually RACING nother car is something you've not experienced...

To go racing at a track with some character, Like Eastern Creek, phillip island, Bathurst, oran Park, even winton, sandown and calder... is all very much more exciting than just doing laps.

I agree with the sentiment "each to his own"....

I'm just pointing out that rallying is easier to get in to, but MUCH more dangerous, and those two facts combined make for very high risk factor. And that risk is amplified 'cos you've got a co-driver that suffers whatever you do.

The co-driver also gains from whatever you do too, so i totally see the point to it, but the stats are just out there.

I have done many tarmac rallies at the pointy end of the field and also continue to race at state level and regularly do sprints. And I agree 100% with Phil here.

I can also say that I would never do any tarmac rally or car race with out a very good cage, harness, hans device etc. Its just too dangerous in my opinion.

Offline 265T

Here are my reasons why I enjoyed Classic Adelaide 2009, which was my first tarmac rally event and it was non-competitive, in order of significance:

what about the awesome co driver???  :p

Offline 265T

how do I feel about it now? regret, remorse, dissapointed that I did not control myself better. Tell ya the truth, it's the main thing thats holding me back from doing CA 2010. The red mist is real.. even more so for drivers like me who think i'm partially invulnerable.. so you know yourself best.. can you keep yourself in check?

As your navigator i must say that i was impressed with the way you conducted yourself & i felt quite comfortable  - even with the lapse on that stage. I can assure you that if the "red mist" was out of control i would have reeled you in, however there was no need for it & i felt safe at all times. I would have no hesitation about doing it with you again

Offline 265T

While I understand FF's sentiments and logic, for the touring guys like me, it isnt about racing anyway. I can tell you, the CA experience in TT class can't be duplicated at the track.

+1

i spent quite a bit of time talking with Glen Seaton over the 4 days as he was in the car behind us, he told me he really enjoyed the TT class (130kph limit) & would like to do it again, however he would never enter competition class as to be competitive you need to push a little bit harder....then a little bit harder again....and a little bit harder again....and thats when accidents happen

Offline waz356

It's great that everyone has an opinion, and we are very knowledgable people in our own right, but let's be honest here........each to his own.........no amount of arguing that you do not like something and so you think it should be banned is ever going to work with this crowd, and neither it should!

If you dont want to do any rallies, or any more rallies, or even go to another rally or go to your first rally....then DON'T! If you do want to go hare-arsing around any and every race track in your car with or without cage and if you want to drive to or from an event or the shops with your cage and no helmet, do it........we all know the risks and if we elect to make the gamble, then so be it.

I beleive it is great the way that Goober and Simon reacted and acted thru the very sad and emotional experience they have had. I admire their ability to think clearly and also to make the decision to carry on with the event. I think that it would have been only lesser men that would have given up, and as I have rallied with these guys, I know them to not be found wanting for backbone.

It is sad and in many ways terrible that two really good guys have died in this event but that is the way of the sport we love. It is the clarity of living the speed and the excitement of the danger that brings us back. We do not want our friends to suffer and we most certainly do not want to suffer ourselves but this applies to life in general and we do not attempt to ban every possible thing that may cause us harm.

We have a phrase in Australia that is pretty much known to us all......."lest we forget"....and this is the true concept we should embrace here............we do not forget those that have died doing what they love and we do not judge them for doing it, but we do support their loved ones and families and we carry on, both in their memory and because we are destined to live our own lives.

Ladies and gents, start your engines and continue to use your cars the way you most enjoy and respect the choice of your peers to do the same.

Very well said Grant.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

As your navigator i must say that i was impressed with the way you conducted yourself & i felt quite comfortable  - even with the lapse on that stage. I can assure you that if the "red mist" was out of control i would have reeled you in, however there was no need for it & i felt safe at all times. I would have no hesitation about doing it with you again

thanks, mate.. was good having you aboard  :thumbsup:

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

I have done many tarmac rallies at the pointy end of the field and also continue to race at state level and regularly do sprints. And I agree 100% with Phil here.

I can also say that I would never do any tarmac rally or car race with out a very good cage, harness, hans device etc. Its just too dangerous in my opinion.

Steve,

I know you, I have raced against you and whilst I would not think to try to teach you anything, I have to tell you of a rule we have here.........DO NOT AGREE WITH Phil under any circumstances...he isnt nice.  :melting:
Always Gunna