Online j15

A colleague of mine is a participant and organiser in this event which kicks off in just over a month (20-27th of March). The premise is that you buy a $1000 car and drive it from Sydney to Alice Springs via SA to raise money and awareness for Cancer.

Dunno when you guys are doing your NT run but it might be worth keeping this event in mind if the dates coincide.

http://www.shitboxrally.com.au

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
This sounds great! :D

Wonder if there's any working X1/9s or Alfas out there for under $1k... :scratchchin:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

http://carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8161964

HANDLES VERY WELL. HAS MINOR RUST BUT CAN BE DRIVEN AS IS - NO PROBLEMS. WELL BELOW VALUATION IN $$$'s AND K's ON THE CLOCK. K's ARE GENUINE ALTHOUGH CLOCK STOPPED TURNING A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO?? ALTERNATOR RECENTLY RE-CONDITIONED. RECEIPTS FOR BRAKE-WORK. THERE ARE SOME SPARE PARTS IN THE BOOT. REAR RIGHT DOOR IS LOCKED AND WILL NOT OPEN (HAVEN'T REALLY TRIED...). I THINK THERE IS A BOLT MISSING FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD AND THERE IS AN EXHAUST RATTLE DISCERNIBLE AT TIMES BUT NOT WHEN CRUISING. CD PLAYER HAS A CD STUCK IN IT...??? WHEN CHANGING DOWN THRU THE GEARS, SECOND GEAR WILL CRUNCH IF THE VEHICLE IS TRAVELLING TOO FAST OTHERWISE NO PROBS (FAMILIARITY). VEHICLE DID BELONG TO MY YOUNG SON BUT HE IS IN THE MARKET FOR A KOMBI RATHER THAN THIS PERFORMANCE VEHICLE (FINE BY ME..!!). CAN ARRANGE TO DELIVER TO YOUR DOORSTEP AS FAR AS ADELAIDE OR MELBOURNE AT AN AGREED/ACCEPTED ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO BUYER IF REQUIRED. VEHICLE IS IN MOUNT GAMBIER, SA.

http://carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7933943

This little car has been my mother's runabout since 1992. It is in reasonable condition - the body is straight with very little rust, it was resprayed 5 years ago. Must sell, running out of space in shed!

The mechanics are sound but the CV joints do need replacing and the steering/suspension checked over to see if any bushings require replacing etc. The engine itself is (and always has been) reliable and lively. It has always started easily (the battery has been recently replaced). It has been regurlarly serviced by Alfa workshops since our family took ownership.

The interior is a charcoal velour and is neat and tidy. The car has been garaged for the whole time it has been in our family.

The gas struts for the hatch need to be replaced and the rear brake lights aren't working (I've checked the fuses and globes so there is a bit more to it).

It would suit an enthusiast who knows Alfas, wants a low cost Alfa and does not mind a few rough edges. Would also suit someone who wanted a platform to build a racing 33.

Mum is selling it to get something that is more in accord with her changing needs (she needs power steering though I maintain that driving this was the only excercise she ever got!).

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/FIAT/X1%2f9/TAS+-+ALL/detail.aspx?id=13705186&lid=13705186&pg=1&pp=0&d=0&SG=189388845&pt=1

Collectable early model with half-bumpers, Cromodoras, newish Yokahama tyres. Full service records last 30 years (5 owners). Fun and usable as is, but really deserves proper restoration. Please contact by phone - we are no longer replying to e-mail inquiries.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Awesome!

How could this not be fun?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

http://cherrypicked.com.au/todayspick/gentlemen-and-ladies-start-your-engines

When you think of the ultimate road trip movies what would be your wheels of choice? Are you the “Easy Rider” type straddling a 1951 Harley Davidson Panhead or is a ‘66 Thunderbird Convertible from “Thelma & Louise” more your speed? It’s time to get creative.

Registration is now open for the second edition of the much talked about “Sh*tbox Rally”, which is to be held May 21-28, 2011. As the name suggests, it’s all about beaten up old bombs but this is no typical race.

Created by James Freeman, who lost both parents and a brother to cancer, the rally aims to raise much needed funds for the Cancer Council Australia whilst providing participants with a cheap, fun and safe way to discover some of Australia’s greatest outback drives.

Fear not, driving or mechanical skills are not essential. All you need is a cheap lemon and loads of enthusiasm to take you across desert.  The 2011 edition will see you brave the open roads and your machine head on as you depart Brisbane and make your way to Darwin.  We’re thinking sequins and feathers aboard a Barbie-style campervan ala “The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert”. En route, you and your buddy will pass some of Australia’s most stunning locations including river crossings, aboriginal settlements and rugged Kakadu.

The ultimate challenge is to get your car to the Top End’s capital in one piece and raise $4,000 in donations and/or sponsorships for the cause.  The catch is that your clunker must be worth less than $1,000.

So what are you waiting for? Join 100 other teams from around the world now for the road trip of a lifetime.

Offline Grimsbyreaper

• Drives: BMW X5 35d MSport
Sorry missed the original thread, but this looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Back in Lincolnshire.

Online j15

Sorry missed the original thread, but this looks like it could be a lot of fun.

My mate had a blast, bought some POS '87 Ford Meteor which broke down on the last leg so limped it into Alice Springs. Sold it for $300 that night at the charity auction.

Offline Grimsbyreaper

• Drives: BMW X5 35d MSport
I always fancied the UK one before I moved out here,

http://www.dakarchallenge.co.uk/

but time / job / lack of willing idiot to join me on the run, I never got round to it and then I moved here.

Definitely have to look into this one though.
Back in Lincolnshire.

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
Psh, this is for pussies  :p :D ;)

I'm doing the Mongol Rally in 2012... I hope!

http://mongolrally.theadventurists.com/