Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Wow, these new V8's are so quick, they're within a second of a 2010 spec Lambo Gallardo now!

Do you really think they all put there best foot forward on a general test day?  I'm sure there's more up their sleeves and all will be revealed at Clipsal IMO.

• Soap Dodger

Do you really think they all put there best foot forward on a general test day?  I'm sure there's more up their sleeves and all will be revealed at Clipsal IMO.

I think they did do their best on the day yes, but of course they'll go better with development.

Not sure if any gun drivers are in GT cars at Clipsal, but the times from previous years had them pretty level....

So in theory, new COTF should be faster this year.....

we'll see.

• Soap Dodger

Yes

Other teams already complaining about it after the test day

Not sure they need to complain.

If the massive amount of history is anything to go by, using a flat plane crank in a series where rev limits are applied, ain't going to do them any good at all.

With fixed gear ratios and a rev limit down in the 7s, a flat plane crank is an absurd thing to try IMO.

I hope they can make it work, and if anyone can, the Hun can.... but I just can't see it making decent torque figures at such lazy rpms.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

If the massive amount of history is anything to go by, using a flat plane crank in a series where rev limits are applied, ain't going to do them any good at all.

With fixed gear ratios and a rev limit down in the 7s, a flat plane crank is an absurd thing to try IMO.

I hope they can make it work, and if anyone can, the Hun can.... but I just can't see it making decent torque figures at such lazy rpms.

For us mere mortals can you explain the difference between a FPC and how it works and why it won't work here, obviously it has to do with revs which is why Ferrari use them.  I'm sure you've explained it to me before but I forgot the detail.  :doh:

Edit.  It's OK, Phil, Google is my friend. ;) Just read up on it.

• Soap Dodger

For us mere mortals can you explain the difference between a FPC and how it works and why it won't work here, obviously it has to do with revs which is why Ferrari use them.  I'm sure you've explained it to me before but I forgot the detail.  :doh:

Edit.  It's OK, Phil, Google is my friend. ;) Just read up on it.

err...

suck-squeeze-bang-blow is a lot different to suck-suck-squeeze-squeeze-bang-bang-blow-blow

in summary... :tilt:

google it.

if I could verbalise the answer I'd be working at Cosworth!

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG

in summary

back in the day either ford or holden wanted to run one and was given "no go"

under the new rules they didn't really do anything to their pre existing engines, the AMG got homoliagated with it from my understanding ( note i had 0 involvement with anything under the skin )

I think its already given everyone an excuse if the merc starts winning
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Flat-plane craftshaft                                                      
  Image   Eight-cylinder engines with a 90 degree angle between their cylinder banks are a relatively recent addition to Ferrari history.
  Apart from the engine sported by the 1956 World Championship-wining F1   car, which Ferrari inherited from Lancia after the latter pulled out   competition, and the one mounted to the 248 sports prototype in the   early 1960s, it was 1973 before a Ferrari would be powered by an engine   with this specific architecture.
  Characteristically flat-plane crankshaft engines have a crankshaft with   crankpins angled at 180 degrees to each other or "flat" i.e. on the same   plane.

Generally speaking V8 engines have a 90 degree angle between the   cylinder banks with each crank pin offset at 90 degrees from the   adjacent ones i.e. they are "crossed" at 90 degrees. Hence the   cross-plane name. Whether a flat or cross-plane crankshaft is chosen   depends on what kind of performance is required. To get maximum   performance from the engine, the flat-plane must be used but for   all-round functioning the cross-plane is best. This why all Ferrari V8s   engines (from the 308 to the 328, the 348 to the 355,the 360 to the   430,and the special high performance GTO series, the F40 and the recent   California, our first front V8) use a flat-plane crankshaft.

The advantages of the flat-plane crankshaft over the cross-plane one can be summarised as follows:
  A flat-plane crankshaft is lighter than a 90-degree, or cross-plane   crankshaft, and, having a lower rotating mass than the latter, provides   sharper response as well as allowing higher maximum revs, useful when   seeking higher power outputs. Another advantage of the flat-plane crank   is that it allows more efficient exhaust manifold design.
Lifted from Ferrari

Offline v8fans

• Name: Scott

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Volvo to join the V8 Supertaxis in 2014.

Gary Rogers to announce on June 17th in Queensland.