Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Apparently it re-opened this week after being resurfacing, one of the Elise boys said:

Of course, the track is less bumpy. It is also now effectively wider in parts and some of the ripple strips aren't as high. This has altered some of the lines, especially the exit to turn 2 and through the horseshoe.

Gary Willmington took one of his V8s out and was immediately almost 2 secs/lap quicker. My mate went out on clagged tyres and beat his previous PB on those tyres by almost a second.

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

I did a track day there yesterday in the rain and it was obvious it would be nice in the dry, but with no rubber embedded in the surface and no other competitive days having been run, it was mighty slippery. Some of the Aussie race guys were there and they ran 1.13's whilst most of the Evo's and WRX were running around the 1.20's. There were lots of heros there and one guy stuck it into the wall in an Evo 8/9 and hurt himself.......enough to get taken to hospital.
The P1 Aston Vantage was there and I had a bit of run with it.....will upload the video...........whilst it was a slower day than my last one there...........it was still fun 
Always Gunna

Offline 265T

There were lots of heros there and one guy stuck it into the wall in an Evo 8/9 and hurt himself.......enough to get taken to hospital.

there are varying reports 1) the car is a write off & the driver was unconscious or 2) the car has no structural damage only panel

if the driver was unconscious it must have been a pretty hard impact which would result in structural/chassis damage

what's the real story? any pics?

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

there are varying reports 1) the car is a write off & the driver was unconscious or 2) the car has no structural damage only panel

if the driver was unconscious it must have been a pretty hard impact which would result in structural/chassis damage

what's the real story? any pics?

Even at the track there were conflicting stories but the most honest seems to be that he suffered a broken arm and concussion.......the car looked ok but was quite badly damaged as it took the impact along the whole of the drivers side. He had no cage or harnesses and so he got moved about quite a lot in the impact period. I was told by one of the observers that he tried to drive out of a spin and ended up on the wet grass instead of just burying his foot on the brake and safely coming to a halt..........ya just cant tell some people! We were all given the same talk by the organisers at the begining of the day and all you have to do is listen and apply what you are told............honestly, it was crazy for the first hour......people spinning all over the place as they just couldnt deal with not breaking the lap record! What did they honestly think was going to happen when the surface was brand new, (little grip), and the rain was pi$$ing down.......oh Gee, this will be way grippier than anywhere else I have ever been! Anyway, I hope the dude is alright and he gets his car repaired.....
Always Gunna

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Whereabouts did he crash?  The only places I can imagine are anywhere near close enough to lose it so bad to hit the wall are on the first and last corners.

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

Whereabouts did he crash?  The only places I can imagine are anywhere near close enough to lose it so bad to hit the wall are on the first and last corners.

Yep......last turn coming onto the straight..............got it sideways and tried to hold the slide and then when he hit the grass the car turned with it's bum facing the main straight and hit the tyre wall with the drivers side. He was facing the wrong way to track direction when he hit.
Always Gunna

Offline 265T

ya just cant tell some people! We were all given the same talk by the organisers at the begining of the day and all you have to do is listen and apply what you are told...........

but it's an Evo it can go around any corner no matter how fast your going  :rolleyes: i know of quite a few Evo's that have come unstuck due to this attitude, owners think that because they have the latest SAYC, ACD, TC, ABS, blah blah blah the cars are unstoppable  :doh:

people spinning all over the place as they just couldnt deal with not breaking the lap record! What did they honestly think was going to happen when the surface was brand new, (little grip), and the rain was pi$$ing down.......oh Gee, this will be way grippier than anywhere else I have ever been!

but it's been resurfaced - so it will be faster (see above)

Anyway, I hope the dude is alright and he gets his car repaired.....

i hear he is ok

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Yep......last turn coming onto the straight..............got it sideways and tried to hold the slide and then when he hit the grass the car turned with it's bum facing the main straight and hit the tyre wall with the drivers side. He was facing the wrong way to track direction when he hit.

this corner... man, I'm trying to picture how badly it must have been messed up to make it all the way..

http://aussieexotics.com/videos/ferrari-club-australia-wakefield-park-trackday-part-3/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_diEdnA5k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_diEdnA5k</a>

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

this corner... man, I'm trying to picture how badly it must have been messed up to make it all the way..

http://aussieexotics.com/videos/ferrari-club-australia-wakefield-park-trackday-part-3/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_diEdnA5k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_diEdnA5k</a>

At the beginning of your vid......the yellow 360 goes past the accom chalets, (said tongue in cheek) and round a corner.......thats the corner.....not a bad one but with the new surface it was quite "drifty" with a full stream of water running the full apex of it. Even so, if you didnt go at breakneck pace, you could still get it to go round very nice and stay on the island.......this guy who had the accident did car ballet with another car that spun ahead of him and then there was a car between he and I. The one before me must have seen the end of the accident and then just thought he could do better so he threw it away as well.........whilst I was on my last two laps, there was a guy in a white Evo V?????who didnt complete a lap as he spun at least 10 times.....he was damn quick in a straight line but those pesky corners were really ruining his "quicky"
Always Gunna

Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
The P1 Aston Vantage was there and I had a bit of run with it... will upload the video...

Hehe - that Ian's a cheeky bugger. I spoke to him on Friday and he said the Vantage wasn't booked for the weekend so he might take it for a drive...
I'd like to see the video :)