Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Fro another forum, I guess being a smart arse might have it's price  :scratchchin:

It also encompasses facebook ,twitter and any other social media.
 Lawyers of a WA company have forced he closure of threads about about that company and are in the process of
 prosecuting some posters by tracing IPO addresses.

and -

If you post defamatory content or injurious falsehoods, you may be tracked down via a court order and held legally responsible for what you have posted. Financial damages may be awarded against you in any legal action if it can be demonstrated that your posts have caused damage to someone's reputation and financial losses can be quantified by the plaintiff's legal team. Not only that, but you may also be also forced to pay for not only your own legal costs but those of the person/company that brought the legal action against you. Posting irresponsibly can be a very costly exercise.

That's the reality, and anyone who thinks they can post whatever they want on the internet is an extremely foolish person indeed.

Rather than focus on forum owner's obligations, you should be thinking more about forum poster's responsibilities. Because in the end, it is forum posts that are the cause of every single one of these legal threats; and they don't come out of nowhere.

Think very carefully before you post, and educate yourself about defamation. That would be my advice.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
foolish for a forum owner to post such things

threatening a mass of largely anonymous users with 'the internet is serious business' never ever works

much like telling your teacher that someones a bully never ever works

a better solution to these problems, and I have seen such problems so many times over many years, if you find yourself to be out of favour with the spirit of the forum, leave, you cant win!
Peope who try and use the law to win an internet argument are delusional, they dont understand that everyone will side with whoever leaves lawyers out of it the longest.

And as soon as anonymous or similar get wind of epic butthurt, they will do all they can to exacerbate the situation, for the lulz. Any 'docs' on you that arent public knowledge soon will be, and then you might be left with no choice but to 'an hero' yourself.
Thats my internet forum meme quote for the month :)

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Whats alarming is tracking by IP if thats really possible it could have consequences.
I recall a particularly nasty attack on ff both personal and professional , a very nasty attack which could have been acted upon.
Then who's to blame ? the poster ot the moderator for allowing it to remain on the site ?

a better solution to these problems, and I have seen such problems so many times over many years, if you find yourself to be out of favour with the spirit of the forum, leave, you cant win!

Noted.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Whats alarming is tracking by IP if thats really possible it could have consequences.
I recall a particularly nasty attack on ff both personal and professional , a very nasty attack which could have been acted upon.
Then who's to blame ? the poster ot the moderator for allowing it to remain on the site ?

"They" track your IP now. It can be tracked back to your ISP. But your ISP has privacy rules to apply to. They are not allowed to give your info out, unless there is a court order or legal action that makes them.

It's like downloaders getting letters from Copyright owners, ISPs just pass them on or delete them. They can demand details as much as they like but they will be very hard pressed to get any info unless legal action is under way.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

the recipient?

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

"They" track your IP now. It can be tracked back to your ISP. But your ISP has privacy rules to apply to. They are not allowed to give your info out, unless there is a court order or legal action that makes them.

Well no ones going to request info from the ISP unless there's legal action underway are they.

So they can track you right down to your physical address ? I was never really sure.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Well no ones going to request info from the ISP unless there's legal action underway are they.

So they can track you right down to your physical address ? I was never really sure.

Copyright owners send letters to ISPs all the time asking for details without any legal actions running. They want to collect the details so they can start legal action.

All the IPs are logged to dates and times, they can go back and see who had that IP on X day at X time and it's all logged against your UserID. And your UserID has all your details against it.....

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

So my reputation is ruined, people know I come in here :doh:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

So my reputation is ruined, people know I come in here :doh:

How is improving your reputation ruining it????

And Eeewww, hope you have tissues!!!!!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

And Eeewww, hope you have tissues!!!!!

No mate I use the ex wifes alimony cheques  :cool: