Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
As mentioned before several times there are areas of this site which are stuffed in IE6 - I used to fix those issues, but no longer - just thought we should have a specific thread about it if anyone asks. 

If there is a specific page which you think really needs to work then let me know and I'll think about it, otherwise - current and any future content I'll likely not bother to check if it works.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Kill IE6, for the sake of the web: expert

A US web expert has called for web users to abandon Internet Explorer 6 for the greater good of the internet.

Developed in 2001 and packaged with Windows XP, IE6 was the most widely used web browser of its tenure, reaching usage of up to 80 per cent during its peak in 2002 and 2003.

Despite being superseded by IE7 and IE8, as well as the rise of competitors such as Firefox, Safari, Opera and Chrome, market share was still at 25 per cent in September 2008, according to a Net Applications Market Share survey.

In a post on social media blog Mashable, associate editor Ben Parr says internet users and web developers are at a crossroads and for the web to move on, IE6 must be abandoned.

"We've sputtered on with the dead weight of IE6 since 2001, but we're just now reaching a breaking point and companies are starting to feel it," he said.

"YouTube and Digg clearly believe that it's not in their best interests to continue supporting the outdated browser and thus have put the word out about their plans to phase out support.

"More and more companies will take their lead as it becomes harder and harder to justify the cost of keeping a site running correctly in Microsoft's old browser."

Twitter and Facebook have also been urging users to upgrade their browsers.

Mr Parr says that the web has done all right, despite IE6, but the coming release of HTML 5 means innovation will be stifled if websites continue to cater to IE6.

He says HTML 5 offers a range of benefits, including being able to embed video and audio directly into html, a time tag to help browsers recognise time in html pages, the ability to drag and drop files directly onto the browser, the ability to create web apps that can determine your location and provide more relevant information, and the ability to save files locally when using web-based applications.

Mr Parr says people have stuck with IE6 because it is the standard browser of Windows XP.

A recent survey by Digg found people primarily use IE6 at work, because they have no other option.

"Without a significant event like Google not loading in IE6, people have stayed content with their current browser," Mr Parr said.

Microsoft has been contacted for comment.

ABC News Online has no plans to drop support for IE6 in the near future.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/17/2629029.htm

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

If anything - I'll add a banner to the top or bottom of pages for IE6 visitors and completely cripple the CSS so they can at least see the content and get the hint.

YouTube Will Be Next To Kiss IE6 Support Goodbye

Judging by this screenshot taken by an IE6 user who was watching some videos on YouTube, it appears the Google company will be phasing out support for the browser shortly. I don’t have Internet Explorer 6 installed on my computer, so I can’t verify this first hand, but illogical it seems not and a simple Twitter search shows multiple people confirming the news. Heck, some are even downright ecstatic over the news.

[img]http://cache0.techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/youtube-ie6.png[/imb]

The online video behemoth is pointing to ‘modern’ browsers like Google Chrome (twice on the same page even, unsurprisingly), Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.5 as alternatives.

With the impending move, YouTube follows in the footsteps of that other Web 2.0 poster child, Digg, which recently hinted at wanting to cut support for the browser too. Digg’s User Experience Architect Mark Trammell at the time wrote that the site is strongly considering removing essential features like digging and commenting for IE6 users. He explained that while IE6 users make up around 5% of site traffic, it only accounts for 1% of diggs, buries, and comments.

YouTube so far hasn’t officially communicated about the desire to drop support for IE6, but it’s conceivable that like Digg it would rather have its developers spend time optimizing the service for newer, better browsers than wasting man hours on the oft-despised Microsoft browser. We recently reported that Internet Explorer is losing market share to Firefox and Safari at a rapid pace.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/14/youtube-will-be-next-to-kiss-ie6-support-goodbye/

Offline dkabab

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
redirect on agent detection to goatse, lemonparty etc
even better, get a list of shock sites and rotate them
you can really annoy people, im sure you know how to replace hotlinked images

I have a site with thousands of audio files available for download, and I allow hotlinking as long as they arent embedded by a service which doesnt acknowledge where they came from, such as embedded flash players on commercial websites (myspace, baidu, facebook, dizzler, last.fm)
I occasionally scan my logs and add certain services to a blacklist, instead of streaming the mp3 they intended from me, they get a file of about 20 different screams/yells/other nasty noises overlaid at 100% volume

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Web browsers battle to convert IE6 users

By Andrew Ramadge, Technology Reporter

SOME of the world's biggest websites are taking sides as the most popular browser in history is phased out.

Internet Explorer 6 – for years the most popular program used to surf the web – is on the way out, with top sites dropping support for the ageing software.

And the phasing-out is shaking up the browser market, as rivals like Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome compete to snap up its users.

YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Google are all urging IE6 users to upgrade or switch browsers.

"We will be phasing out support for your browser soon. Please upgrade to one of these more modern browsers," says a prominent message on YouTube.

Owned by Google, the video site is suggesting users upgrade to Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8, Chrome or Firefox – in that order.

However other Google sites such as Gmail and Google Search are pushing Chrome exclusively.

Facebook suggests a similar list to YouTube but also includes Apple's Safari and social networking browser Flock.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has launched its own campaign to get users to upgrade to IE8 including banner ads on popular blogs and websites.

What's the difference?

Nowadays the difference between web browsers is shrinking, as features like multiple tabs and "private" modes become commonplace.

Much of the choice comes down to personal choice, convenience and brand loyalties.

Mozilla Firefox grew out of the remains of Netscape Navigator, the browser that Internet Explorer replaced at the top of the market in the late 1990s.

It was also the first browser to popularise tabbed browsing, letting users have multiple webpages open in the same window.

Internet Explorer is bundled with versions of Microsoft Windows and is the default browser in many offices, while Safari comes with Apple computers.

Google Chrome, the search giant's first major foray into desktop software, was released last September and threatened to start a new generation of browser wars.

However it has so far failed to make a serious dent in the number of users shared by Internet Explorer and Firefox.

How many people use IE6?

Released in 2001, IE6 is the most successful browser in history, dominating the market for more than five years.

It was the market leader from November 2002 to February last year, peaking with 86 per cent of users in January 2006, according to The Counter.

It now accounts for about a third or less of all users, having been superseded by Internet Explorer versions 7 and 8.

Last month, just over a fifth of news.com.au readers – 21 per cent – were using the browser.

In January 2008, the figure was 41 per cent.

As IE6 has fallen from favour, the number of readers using non-Microsoft web browsers has risen.

Last month, about 23 per cent of readers visited news.com.au with Firefox, 6 per cent with Safari and 4 per cent with Chrome.

Gartner analyst Ray Valdes last year urged offices running IE6 to upgrade to a newer browser.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,25989026-5014239,00.html

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren
Some websites don't support IE8 very well the menus get all shagged up and there's a compatability button on the IE8 browser which fixes it - but still frustrating.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Oh well - still don't have a reply box.   :(

Haha - here's what IE6 looks like...

(it's probably good to not give people who only use IE6 a voice anyhoo :p )

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Haha - here's what IE6 looks like...

(it's probably good to not give people who only use IE6 a voice anyhoo :p )

Well, it certainly shut me up for a while. :p

And I can't do anything about it - Sigh!!!!    :(