Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Been told by a couple different people lately that navigation around this site can be a bit difficult.  Personally I think it's laid out nicely, but then I spend a lot of time going around the place.

Any feedback on what's good and what's crap?  I'd like it to be as simple as possible while still being full of all it's features.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Been told by a couple different people lately that navigation around this site can be a bit difficult.  Personally I think it's laid out nicely, but then I spend a lot of time going around the place.

Any feedback on what's good and what's crap?  I'd like it to be as simple as possible while still being full of all it's features.

i always have trouble working out where to find photos.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
As a general visitor I'd say it does the job.

But if I put my website developer and graphic designer hat on, I'd say it needs a bit of polishing, with a lot of menu consolidation and standardisation.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

One problem is that most photos are uploaded without a name or keyword - and it takes quite a bit of effort to go through every pic and add that information so it shows up in the relevant areas.  Would like to spend some time doing this - but it's laborious, would also like to implement an easier system which could allow other users to apply relevant keywords with a simple click as they view a photo, but that would take a couple dozen hours of work to get up and running.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

As a general visitor I'd say it does the job.

Yeah well that's part of the big fat nav buttons I've put up in the last week - to highlight the six main areas of the site - but I still had a mention from a non-member saying they got confused trying to get around the site, not much more info than that though.

But if I put my website developer and graphic designer hat on, I'd say it needs a bit of polishing, with a lot of menu consolidation and standardisation.

Yeah, like the old adage... the mechanic's car is always the last to be worked on :o - my gf's dad is a sparky and he still hasn't connected up the smoke alarms in his own home...

So yeah I do the minimum here to make it work good enough because I'm my own boss when it comes to this and the time I spend on this joint could be spent getting paid to do real work. :p 

As for the standardisation - one of the problems is there are so many disparate software systems running here which are only vaguely integrated behind the scenes to give the appearance of a single website.  This forum uses SMF, the front page news/blog uses Wordpress, the photo gallery is Coppermine, the shop is Zen-cart, the classifieds are BosClassifieds, the file-sharing is FileChucker, and the video pages are ground-up custom.  All of these systems are massively modified from their original guise to end up how they are here.

To get all of these completely separate systems operating together as they do is no minor work of magic, and to make them have the same look and feel is just plain masochistic. :boggled:

What would you do re: menu consolidation?

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
one of the problems is there are so many disparate software systems running here

Yep - already noticed.

That's why I focus on Joomla (open source CMS) and integrated components to minimise the headache.

What would you do re: menu consolidation?

Difficult to say considering the disparate systems.

But I always try to stick to a standardised menu at the top/side, and possibly a context specific submenu elsewhere.

But maybe at least getting all the existing menus looking the same within a single blob could help.

Offline 265T

i don't know anything about web design, but the site looks pretty & that's important to me  :)

i find it quite easy to use although one thing that really bugs me is if i'm looking at a thread as a guest, when i log on it takes me back to the home page, then i have to find my way back to the thread

also occasionally lately when i hit the log in button a picture will come up,  usally the lego Lambo   :confused:  any one else had this?

me too

when i want to look at galleries like - http://gallery.aussieexotics.com/SaveFerris, i have to go to the news page, is there an easier way?

one thing i would like to see is rather than the recent posts listed on the home page the recent threads are - because the posts are usually all in the same thread

and i still can't upload to the gallery with Vista  :rolleyes: :mad: :waah:

apart from that your doing a top job Ash, keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

i don't know anything about web design, but the site looks pretty & that's important to me  :)

Ok - at least I know my target audience.... :p

i find it quite easy to use although one thing that really bugs me is if i'm looking at a thread as a guest, when i log on it takes me back to the home page, then i have to find my way back to the thread

I haven't noticed this - though I usually only log on here on 2 or 3 different computers which only I use.  I'll try on another browser to see what happens.  If I'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer.....

Ok, I'm viewing this thread as a guest - I'll log in as my normal user testing account - Tyler Durden...

Righto, it takes me back the forum index page.  A minor annoyance, but I'll keep that in mind.  I've removed all "action" buttons from guests such as "reply" etc so they don't even have a chance - I wonder what would happen if you went to reply and weren't logged in...?  I'll try that now, logging out...

Ok I logged out and copy/pasted the URL from *this* post that I'm writing now into the unlogged browser - it came up straight away asking me to log in so I could post a reply, let's see what happens...

"Session verification failed" - I assume that is something to do with copying the random junk in the URL when you first visit, but otherwise it returned me to the correct thread. 

I suspect most times if you are browsing as a guest and want to log in and return to a specific thread, it means you wish to reply, in which case perhaps I should just re-instate the reply button to guests and it *should* work fine.  It's on my to-do list.

also occasionally lately when i hit the log in button a picture will come up,  usally the lego Lambo   :confused:  any one else had this?

WTF? :confused:

Only thing close to this which I've had is Flamestone once had a classified ad embedded in his message, I posted a screenshot but couldn't reproduce it, it was bizarre.

Post a screenshot anytime anything odd happens.

when i want to look at galleries like - http://gallery.aussieexotics.com/SaveFerris, i have to go to the news page, is there an easier way?

Ok, I should straighten something out - basically "gallery.aussieexotics.com" is a completely different domain from aussieexotics.com, it is where I host my photos with SmugMug, who charge me about AU$200 a year for the privelege.  Point is, I used to use this service as the hosting was much faster for Aussies AND US/Euro/etc than my crappy German hosting I had at the time.  In comparison, the speed of delivery for Aussies of that site is about 1/8th of the speed of this site here which since March has been hosted at a premium on Australian soil.  Given about 60% of our traffic is Australian, I decided to focus on posting photos hosted here rather than on gallery.aussieexotics.com.

So anyhoo, nearly all of my personal galleries have been migrated to http://AussieExotics.com/Drivers - there was little need to confuse most people by showing them two sets of galleries - one being my personal stuff, the other being mine plus everyone elses.

one thing i would like to see is rather than the recent posts listed on the home page the recent threads are - because the posts are usually all in the same thread

Good idea, I like this one and will look into it. :thumbsup:

and i still can't upload to the gallery with Vista  :rolleyes: :mad: :waah:

Gallery system is due for an upgrade - it's still great for those who it works for - and could be servicable for years to come without touching it, but there's still too many shortcomings for my liking - it's just the choice for good community galleries out there is pretty bleak.  Sure, there's heaps of them, but they all have *most* of what I want but lack the stuff I need, which I end up coding myself.  And yes, if there's anything I'm extremely well versed in it's online photo galleries.

apart from that your doing a top job Ash, keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

Danke!!!  After all that typing I needed that. :)

Offline 265T

If I'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer.....

an Ace Ventura fan?

I suspect most times if you are browsing as a guest and want to log in and return to a specific thread, it means you wish to reply,

yep

WTF? :confused:

Only thing close to this which I've had is Flamestone once had a classified ad embedded in his message, I posted a screenshot but couldn't reproduce it, it was bizarre.

Post a screenshot anytime anything odd happens.

looks like this, happened 5 or 6 times after hitting login, not always the same pic

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

an Ace Ventura fan?

Aaaaalrighty then.

looks like this, happened 5 or 6 times after hitting login, not always the same pic

OMFG.... :eek:

that's too funny... I was seriously almost literally ROFL etc.... oooooh, my belly hurts  :D

Whatever that feature is, I'm leaving it in!  The Lamborghini Superlego is an awesome greeting message! :D :D

Oh dear that's the funniest random shit I've seen in a while.