Offline adam01

Hey this gets even better, we can set Mondi up with a $10 web site call it "whores I've known" and place the link all over the site, that should be an impressive monthly earn at $50 a click. :scratchchin:

ummm maybe "whores I'd like to know" that way we can put pics of real women in there instead of plastic blow ups.

Change that to whores Charlie Sheen & I've known - U will make a motza - Ash can afford to retire

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
It could work in principle, but without looking into too much, for a variety of reasons I doubt that a clause like that would be enforceable.

Also, I don't see you as the litigating type when it comes to enforcing the collection - too much effort/time/cost

Just send the bills out and if they don't pay add them to a defaulting payers thread, that would shake them up.

Yeah, of course I can't be arsed doing anything like this, but I might put a big fat line next to the confirm registration button to tell them to bugger off. :p

FWIW - this is basically a recycled version of one of 2010's most devious schemes via babynamemeans.com:

From Choice 2010 Shonky Awards:

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/money/shopping-and-legal/shopping/the-2010-shonky-awards/page.aspx

When a school student was researching the origins of Catholic names for an assignment, she thought she’d struck gold when she came across the website babynamemeans.com, and registered to access the site. In fact, it was the website that had struck gold – or at least a fair few gold-coloured coins.

In what’s becoming an increasingly common internet rip-off, buried in more than one page of dense fine print constituting terms and conditions was the not-insignificant observation that the website was in fact a subscription-based service, costing $12 per month for a minimum of one year – and by registering, she’d agreed to pay this. She was duly invoiced for $144 by the Indonesian company’s Australian “payment agents” – aka its debt collection agency.

While technically, the student perhaps should have read the whole 1500-word terms and conditions document thoroughly, the ACCC takes a fairly dim view of this needle-in-a-haystack presentation of important information that no-one’s likely to read. Warnings that costs will be charged should be clearly displayed and accessible, or the company risks running foul of Australia’s new unfair contracts legislation.

To its credit, the company agreed not to pursue the charges, but not before causing a fair bit of angst for the student and her family. See the video.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

$50 per click is steep, i think you'll just deter them with that

Yep, but we're all getting tired of seeing people promoting crap all over the web - and as a webmaster it is 100x more annoying because I'm stuck with constantly developing methods to counter it, and left with the clean-up job when that fails.

Why not add a checkbox in the reg form for providors of goods and services to make themselves know during the sign up process, their registration should be pending your approval.

If someone's not going to first read/contact about advertising, this is pointless.  The thing is, many folk still think the web is just a free place for everyone which runs on fairy dust and LOLcats.

At the point you start getting notifications start email interviewing the people, get a feel for the product and charge them a flat yearly fee to be on the site

I already have a plan underway, and a bunch of folk waiting in the wings, so I'm ok there - I just need the time to finish things off and get it rolling.

Charge them per click, you get enough traffic to make this worthwhile but I think I'd be expecting some decent reporting as to click throughs / conversion rates.

You've seen the stats I randomly post?  You'll be hard-up to find a site with better coverage of geeky metrics. :D

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Yeah, of course I can't be arsed doing anything like this, but I might put a big fat line next to the confirm registration button to tell them to bugger off. :p

If you send the accounts out you might be suprised at how many pay, actually there arent that many it's just annoying when it happens so delete them as spam and send them their ad options, it's easier that way I guess.

Offline Paulstar

I know they are annoying, i meant dont deter them but let them come and pay if no pay, no stay!

I'm keen to see your plan roll out ;) $150 p/month for their own thread + say 50 click throughs on a banner, get 100 sponsors on board and sit back and cook steaks all day  :cool:

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
$50 per click will never work, Carsales does  about $50/click (for dealers) and in reality i'd look for a car on carsales and not on AE.

I couldn't see AE ads getting more than $5-$20 per car run it till you sell it for private ads as Carsales charges $60.

I would use it to bring traffic flow in. In the near future at least it would probably harm the website to charge too much, it would lead to people stop advertising, and then only the forum members remain talking about shit day it day out.

Dealers are a bit different, they understand that enquires = sales, i'm sure you could build the AE car sales side of things by aproaching dealers and giving them something crazy like $1 per enquiry, build the name up that way, hope they make a few sales and see how it goes.

But $50 is a no way scenario, the market leader charges that because they can, and in reality it is hard for any other website to take them on because the public now refers to used cars for sale as carsales.com.au
Like where the trading post 20 years ago was the beez kneez.

My 2 cents,
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

That was tongue in cheek sort of but what you could do is try Ad Sence

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdSense?hl=en

I thought it was for small sites no big deal but lately I've noticed some very respectable sites running it so there might be money it in, only one way to find out.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

$50 per click will never work, Carsales does  about $50/click (for dealers) and in reality i'd look for a car on carsales and not on AE.

I couldn't see AE ads getting more than $5-$20 per car run it till you sell it for private ads as Carsales charges $60.

I think you've missed the point, this is for SPAMMERS, not advertisers who enquire and pay BEFORE posting ads/advertorials.

My point is, if you put in a clause which says that if you post an ad without clearing it for advertising, you are entering an agreement whereby you will be charged $50 per click.  I pulled the number out of my arse - I just wanted to make it less desirable for people to illegitemately fill the interwebs with advertising crap.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

That was tounge in cheek sort of but what you could dod id try Ad Sence

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdSense?hl=en

I thought it was for small sites no big deal but lately I've noticed some very respectable sites running it so there might be money it in, only one way to find out.

I do, but it's mostly highly targetted and for my own shits n giggles testing.  There's no point running it on small sites with no purchase-ready traffic.  I have spent years researching and testing - it's a hard slog but if you target well you can make a bit more than lunch money.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
I think you've missed the point, this is for SPAMMERS, not advertisers who enquire and pay BEFORE posting ads/advertorials.

My point is, if you put in a clause which says that if you post an ad without clearing it for advertising, you are entering an agreement whereby you will be charged $50 per click.  I pulled the number out of my arse - I just wanted to make it less desirable for people to illegitemately fill the interwebs with advertising crap.

Ahhh yes I did miss the point, oh well in that case, get a lawyer, I fear any advice given to you on a forum would only be hear say/guess work/some ones opinion and not leagal advice. Atleast there will hopefully be less scabs on here promoting without bothering to contact you first.

You could even make up a clause (not legally binding at all) that would deter some of the local spammers anyway... and not have to bother with chasing people around unless it is legal ofcorse.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ Ferrari ] The cool Ferrari photo thread MRdino Today at 16:05
[ Porsche ] air-cooled porsche help amgsl55 Today at 15:45
[ Lamborghini ] Huracan Performante shack Today at 15:41
[ Gadgets and Technology ] Forget about Lily, this is cooler OzCarSightings Today at 15:36
[ Cars ] Spotted thread mhh Today at 15:03
[ McLaren ] OFFICIAL - MCLAREN P1 mhh Today at 15:01
[ Porsche ] 991.2 GTS Announced NBTBRV8 Today at 13:39
[ Cars ] HEARING AIDS 360c Today at 12:19
[ Off Topic ] The SA BS thread amgsl55 Today at 09:08
[ Off Topic ] Sydney restaurant recommendations cel Yesterday at 22:45