Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
just looking to test the waters with regards to classifieds for high-end cars and stuff.  as it is the logs show that this site is getting a fair few visitors from people typing "porsche/ferrari/dino/lamborghini for sale" into Australian Google.

here's where the classifieds test is:
---> http://aussieexotics.com/showroom

feel free to look around, and if you'd like to post something (even some test posts of random stuff) then go for it.

please post any feedback, is it good, crap, missing features, etc!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

3.5 year :bump: :eek:

Seems we're going to keep being inundated with folks who just want to flog their stuff rather than get involved in the community - and are too tightarse to pay for it to be listed.

Originally the for-sale boards came about because regular members just like chatting about stuff on the market, but then the people who wanted to sell stuff started carpet-bombing so I set up the classifieds because a) forum posts don't get as much traffic on a random for sale ad; and b) people selling stuff tend to have a hissy fit when other people reply to their for sale thread telling them the car is overpriced/crap/suspect/needs something/etc.

So, I'm going to put up sticky threads in every for sale section for general marque-related sales, random marque stuff can be posted there, and any for sale crap that pops up on the forum that's not from contributing members will just be merged in there if interesting enough or deleted.

Basic rule for regular members is if it's an interesting car in it's own right that deserves a discussion, feel free to start a new thread about it, but if it's just yet another car on the market you'd like to make a comment on, post it in one of the existing marque for sale threads.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Yes mum.  :grumpy:

Hey it's good news for you, there will be dedicated threads to easily post stuff on the market in without having to start new threads with vague titles! :D

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Hey it's good news for you, there will be dedicated threads to easily post stuff on the market in without having to start new threads with vague titles! :D

Vague.....what you talking about Willis! How'd you go with that search?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Vague.....what you talking about Willis! How'd you go with that search?

I know when a topic has been started by you, there's never a mention of the car itself in the thread title, just "I love this" or "I would have sex with this" or "I've seen better stuff in my colonoscopy" etc :D

Anyhoo what search?  I haven't upgraded the search yet - but as I said in that topic, the thread you're looking for is in CC, just open that board and look for a thread about weddings. :)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Hey ladies - rejigging the ad system this month, want to make it as simple and useful as possible - if anyone feels like playing beta tester as it evolves then go for it, try to keep ads pretty well in line with what's useful on AE.

When posting an ad just use the coupon code "tightarse" and it will be posted gratis.

Lots of stuff to do to it so you'll spot some holes, any feedback appreciated.  :cool:

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
Glad to see you are tinkering away behind the scenes!

It could use a bit of a spruce up design wise, and a lot of the info seems to be repeated. From what I can see you can either click the logos, side menu or main brand titles and they all take you to the same content.

Maybe a "Search by Make", "Search by Body Type" and "Search by Engine Type" for example would be more user friendly.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Maybe a "Search by Make", "Search by Body Type" and "Search by Engine Type" for example would be more user friendly.

Frankly I don't see the need for such a thing on this narrow a niche, people who land here looking for a car for sale already pretty much know what they want - they're not tossing up between 30 types of road-appliance with different badges, they'll know down to the 2 or 3 specific models what car they are researching - if they don't, they're in the wrong place anyhoo.

For the most part I focus on the long-tail approach - ie specificity.