Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
As some of you picked up in my other thread, I'm not an owner, just a user. :D

The club only operates in Sydney so far (its only a couple of months old), but they've got a "spare" Lamborghini Gallardo ready to launch in another city (haven't told me which one yet).

The idea is you pay a once off joining fee ($5150), which gets you your insurance check, an intro to all the cars (you know, like where the missile launch buttons are hidden ;)), including new ones as they're purchased, plus a "driver awareness program" (including theory and practical).  Its not like race driver training or anything, but more like how not to get wiped out on city roads.  All good stuff.

Then there's just the annual fee of $5250 from there.  That then gets you access to all vehicles in all locations (current and future).  So when they do open in another city, I can fly there and pick up one of their cars instead of a dull Avis or Hertz generic. :thumbsup:

The annual fee gets you a certain amount of drive days, which differ depending on what car you nominate as your preference (up to a week from memory).

From there its just a really simple user-pays system.  For example, when you use up your included days, you can still go grab the F360 for around $500 a day.  Sweeeeeet. :D

Oh, and they prefer you to be over 30, but if not, then the insurance company might just squeeze a bit harder.

The cool thing is that in addition to the obligatory prestige sports cars, they've got a really nicely restored '65 Mustang convertible too, with possibly more classics on the way.

The 3 I've got access to right now today are the Lamborghini Gallardo (6 spd manual), Ferrari 360 Modena (F1 gearbox), and the Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

But from what I hear they're in parallel negotiations for many others.  Just don't know which one will become available first.

Apparently its not like a family sedan that you could order today and pick up tomorrow!

For example, I heard that one of the Elfins was a sure thing, then I heard there's a several month wait on delivery. :irked:

Oh well, its still cheaper than buying my own. :thumbsup:

So who's going to join me for a drive?  :D

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
ah, that's a different system to the other's out there like P1 and Marques250 and... there's another.  :confused:

as i recall the other's start at like $27k p/a and you get enough "points" to drive a decent car a few times a month.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

Yeah different set up, and much better in my opinion.

A user-pays system always makes more sense to me.  No tricks or treats, just use it and pay.

If you've handed over the wad of money up front, then the less you drive the car, the more profit for the club.  So regardless of what they say, you know its in their best interests to minimise your drive time.

But this way, you just book online, beat up your credit card a bit more, and show up to pick up the keys. :thumbsup:

Offline mcbridesnuts

I've looked into all these Clubs, the only one really operational is P1.
Quarterinch have 3 old bangers, not worth a cup of T in my opion...
Limited edition is so Limited it doesn't trade and Rent-a-Sportscar has an old 360,
a 'orrible yelow Lambo and a high milage shakey Vantage with a rental plate on it.
Now what the realyy need are some planes and choppers....

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

I've looked into all these Clubs, the only one really operational is P1.
Quarterinch have 3 old bangers, not worth a cup of T in my opion...
Limited edition is so Limited it doesn't trade and Rent-a-Sportscar has an old 360,
a 'orrible yelow Lambo and a high milage shakey Vantage with a rental plate on it.
Now what the realyy need are some planes and choppers....

:teehee:  Pure comedy. :D :D :D

You post at 11:13 asking what "quarter mile" is about, and then 11 minutes later you're an expert on all clubs.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

So what are the typical terms and conditions when you take a car out?

Limited kms? Metro areas only? No track work  :mischief:?

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

Its a user-pays system, so while 200kms are included in daily rate, you can go as far as you want really (if you're willing to pay the excess, which is around $2/km).

And yes, gotta stay away from tracks, but a road trip from Sydney to Perth is ok if you can handle the extra kms :scared:.

Insurance excess depends on the driver (age, history, etc).

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Got a link? I wouldn't mind checking it out as I go to Sydney regularly. In fact, going there in 2 weeks time with some friends to have a "boys weekend out"  :mischief:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It would be good to have one of these clubs in Adelaide but it will never happen as they have marginal viability in even the bigger cities.  There was an outfit on Goodwood road for a while that had some old bangers but that went broke very quickly.

The problem with putting the 10 grand (or 27 grand) into membership is that you don't know if they will be there tomorrow.

Offline waz356

So what are the typical terms and conditions when you take a car out?

Limited kms? Metro areas only? No track work  :mischief:?

is Tasmania considered to be a track?  :D