Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Don't get me started on this topic...    :irked:

Bit late now - you started the topic.  :)

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Also interesting...

http://www.australiandoctor.com.au/news/5e/0c04d95e.asp

Yeah Justin's a really nice guy.  Involved in lots of things - charities as well.  Since I do a lot of volunteer work, I always appreciate that side of a business man.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

Offline Nokianonsence

We’re researched all these type of companies in Aus for a Uni paper on “Emerging Business Practises “.
Limited edition never got off the ground, they went belly up without trading.
Quarter Mile have struggled from the outset, with 3 older cars in their limited collection it’s unlikely the business will develop.
The ownership of QM has changed hands recently following the realisation of under funding.
P1 is the dominant player in the market place here in Aus ,having expanded into 3 states and amassed a magnificent collection of cars.

Interestingly enough when we analysed the dollars and cents…..it was P1 that in fact worked out to be cheaper than the other two Clubs in true terms.

These Clubs all work on a structured formula which is ultimately based on the boat share business which have come to dominate boat use around the eastern sea-board of Australia. The important aspect for anyone considering such a Club should be the history and controlled growth of the business.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
As pointed out by Flamestone, the actual $/use ratio is based on how much you can use it, it's theoretically possible to get good value out of it.  The 10,000km option is $38k, with a $4.5k joining fee you're looking at the equivalent of $800 a week to do <200km in something you won't own a part of.

Actually, I'm waiting for new member Jamezilla to chime into this thread... :cool:

Offline Nokianonsence

Don't really get the point your trying to illustrate above ,cos most days very few of us expect to do 200k's in a car,most end users would drive out to a country hotel or vineyard,even a drive from the eastern suburbs to the Upper Hunter is a round trip of approx 500 km's. So I'd surggest a weekend every now and again in the latest Audi R8 ($310k to purchase), another in a 360 Challenge Stradale ($700k) P1's Bentley Arnage ($585k) or P1's super-rare Ford GT ($1m) begins to make P1 membership look excellent value........

Even as a student I understand the differance between an ordinary pile of metal and the best collection of modern day cars in Australia that the public has access to....abeit for a figure of $36,500

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Don't really get the point your trying to illustrate above ,cos most days very few of us expect to do 200k's in a car,most end users would drive out to a country hotel or vineyard,even a drive from the eastern suburbs to the Upper Hunter is a round trip of approx 500 km's.

Yeah, I'm saying that it's quite possible to get good value out of it.  Me - and I suspect many others - wouldn't bother getting a sportscar for a day unless we were going to do at least 200km (per hour :p ) in it, put it this way, many of the folk here frequently put 200-300km on their odo before breakfast on some days.  Also worth noting is that you can't take it to track days or put it in Classic Adelaide etc.

In the end, whoever's looking at the system will be studying their calculator furiously seeing what $3k/mo can get you on a lease, and for the added joy of actual ownership, many would extend somewhat.

360 Challenge Stradale ($700k)

LOL - tell scud that!

Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
Actually, I'm waiting for new member Jamezilla to chime into this thread... :cool:

Chime :)

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

Even as a QM member I have to agree with this view of P1.

*BUT* its not just about the dollars vs. cars.

When you take into account "time-poorness" and where money comes from, some (like me) would not want that much money going out as a lump sum, which then adds pressure to make use of it no matter what.

The lack of new purchases is obviously a sore point for me with QM, but that doesn't actually stop the model being perfect for a whole lot of people.

Offline Nokianonsence

yep, turns out the purchase price of the 360 CS was $700k new in Australia.
Hurts...doesn't it ? Which is prob why access to one through sucha Club makes good $$$ sense.

With these Clubs we found they all alowed the cars to go out for longer than the minimum 1 day agreement.

QM are due to add a Mini Cooper next....now I'd be pleased to have a go in that !!