Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8NNC5nu_9A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8NNC5nu_9A</a>

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
F40 v F50

F40 1.3 seconds faster than the F50. No surprise to me, but how standard was it?
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
F40 1.3 seconds faster than the F50. No surprise to me, but how standard was it?

You never drove an F50 on the track AFAIK?
I've never driven an F40 anywhere :p

All I can say is the F50 is very user friendly, has shitloads of grunt, brakes that don't fade and much higher tech suspension than the F40. If you are prepared to go for broke and possibly hang it on the fence, I think you would be surprised how fast an F50 is.

Offline Aircon

You never drove an F50 on the track AFAIK?
I've never driven an F40 anywhere :p

All I can say is the F50 is very user friendly, has shitloads of grunt, brakes that don't fade and much higher tech suspension than the F40. If you are prepared to go for broke and possibly hang it on the fence, I think you would be surprised how fast an F50 is.

Did you watch that video? I think they were driving both much harder than I'd ever be prepared to, even if I had the skill. Only thing is it's pretty easy to up the boost on an F40, which makes it an unfair comparison, obviously.

Speaking of brakes, I wonder if brake fade was what caused the F40 to run off the track towards the end? F40 brakes were a lot better than I'd been previously used to,  but they weren't as awesome as they should have been, that's for sure. I never got fade, though.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Did you watch that video? I think they were driving both much harder than I'd ever be prepared to, even if I had the skill. Only thing is it's pretty easy to up the boost on an F40, which makes it an unfair comparison, obviously.

Speaking of brakes, I wonder if brake fade was what caused the F40 to run off the track towards the end? F40 brakes were a lot better than I'd been previously used to,  but they weren't as awesome as they should have been, that's for sure. I never got fade, though.

No I didn't watch it. I've watched heaps of those Japanese supercar  track challenges before. Most if not all seemed like the winner was chosen before the "race" began.

Like you said, it's simple to seriously increase an F40's performance, who knows what state this one was; in 25 years after it was new?
I've only seen a few modified F50's. A turbo disaster that was later reconverted to standard and a car that was sent to Michelotto and worked over. Every other car was bog standard.

Offline Aircon

No I didn't watch it. I've watched heaps of those Japanese supercar  track challenges before. Most if not all seemed like the winner was chosen before the "race" began.

Like you said, it's simple to seriously increase an F40's performance, who knows what state this one was; in 25 years after it was new?
I've only seen a few modified F50's. A turbo disaster that was later reconverted to standard and a car that was sent to Michelotto and worked over. Every other car was bog standard.

The video is pretty old, actually. Nevertheless, F40's boost has been able to be played with for a long time.

Imagine modding an F50 mechanically! Seriously big bucks.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
I'd say the F50 driver did all he needed to win and not much else. He never really pulled away, he was never pushing as hard as the F40 driver..
The F40 driver seemed to be at 10/10s the entire time, a lot of steering wheel movement compared to the smoothness of the F50 driver. A lot of these videos are a joke with who wins and who loses but this one seemed pretty accurate. I added it because of the great cars involved, some nice action shots and some great sound.

Offline Aircon

I'd say the F50 driver did all he needed to win and not much else. He never really pulled away, he was never pushing as hard as the F40 driver..

The F50 driver had some serious catching up to do and some serious overtaking. Fastest lap for both cars was on lap 3.

F50 has less torque than an F40 I think, hasn't it? But the F50 weighs significantly more and only has a little more peak HP.

We'll never know, but it's fun to speculate.

Offline dkabab

was that u driving? i remember seeing and f40 doing some hot laps back in the later years of the adelaide GP, 92-94 maybe... although i thought i remember seeing an f40 LM not a stock road car.

Offline Aircon

was that u driving? i remember seeing and f40 doing some hot laps back in the later years of the adelaide GP, 92-94 maybe... although i thought i remember seeing an f40 LM not a stock road car.

That's me driving, but in '89