Offline MRDMC

• Drives: Delorean, Supra
ON EBAY AGAIN!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1981-DELOREAN-DMC-12-BACK-FUTURE-CAR-/220914482692?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item336f877e04

LOWERED BIN PRICE AND RESERVE I'VE COURSE. SPREAD THE WORD. FB, OTHER FORUMS, ALL YOU CAN PLEASE! SOMEONE COULD GRAB A BARGAIN ON A DELOREAN THAT'S IN AUSTRALIA!

Offline BigD

The wife showed me this link http://instagr.am/p/L4sADPAc-5/ she found on Twitter which has the following attached picture ... of a Golden Delorean!

Offline cookie720

So how much are they these days? The prices here are pretty ridiculous, ive seen some for 50k+
Im in Adelaide.
I will consider getting one from US and shipping it over.
How cheap have you seen them go for?
In 'Theory' get a cheap one from US - 9000USD, get it shipped 6000USD or less. thats Around $15,000 AUD all up...sound reasonable?
I have mechanical skills so it doesnt have to be mint.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

So how much are they these days? The prices here are pretty ridiculous, ive seen some for 50k+
Im in Adelaide.
I will consider getting one from US and shipping it over.
How cheap have you seen them go for?
In 'Theory' get a cheap one from US - 9000USD, get it shipped 6000USD or less. thats Around $15,000 AUD all up...sound reasonable?
I have mechanical skills so it doesnt have to be mint.

Don't!!! and I mean DON'T buy one of the ones around the $9k US mark. I have looked at a lot of them and they are rooted!!!

Anything that is in reasonable condition goes for around the $20k mark in the US.

Chassis and engine is reasonable to repair money wise but the body is not. These are of course Stainless steel and it’s very hard to remove dents and panel damage. In fact if you have one that needs body work, it would be far cheaper to spend the money on a good one that is already here and had the hard work done. Almost all of the parts are now being repro’ed now, but it’s still not going to be cheap to get the body looking good again.

If you have to repair the body, do engine work, chassis work, etc, etc, $50k can be eaten up pretty quick. And I haven't even said anything about interior either.....

Don’t buy a painted one either!!!!

Offline cookie720

Thankyou for your quick reply! Now you get more questions thrown at you :)
The main thing is, i want one. No matter what the condition really...Body/Panel damage and interior would probably be the worst variable here. As with the mechanics, I am pretty good (and economic), and have the tools.

The painted ones, are they stainless underneath?

I would definately consider a 9K from the US if the body panels are straight and has good interior. I dont see why the prices range so much! What do you mean "rooted"?

You mentioned the parts being reproed, where/how can I get these in Australia? And does this include the stainless panels? The worst place for body damage as in dents would be the rear wheel area up to and around the roof, the rest are removable panels am I right?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Thankyou for your quick reply! Now you get more questions thrown at you :)
The main thing is, i want one. No matter what the condition really...Body/Panel damage and interior would probably be the worst variable here. As with the mechanics, I am pretty good (and economic), and have the tools.

It's all here ---> http://delorean.com/

The painted ones, are they stainless underneath?

Yes - but they are painted for a reason - to hide a lot of sins!!!

I would definately consider a 9K from the US if the body panels are straight and has good interior. I dont see why the prices range so much! What do you mean "rooted"?

You may be lucky and get one for 9k with a reasonable body, then again you may get lucky and win Lotto as well.....

"Rooted" = Body f*cked, interior f*cked, in short they run and drive and most likely used as a daily driver but not looked after very well at all. If you have seen the way Yanks treat their cars you would understand. And what they class as a car in excellent condition is miles apart from what our definition is.

You will need to either go over there to inspect the car yourself or have someone over there that you would trust to inspect it for you.

You mentioned the parts being reproed, where/how can I get these in Australia? And does this include the stainless panels? The worst place for body damage as in dents would be the rear wheel area up to and around the roof, the rest are removable panels am I right?

See link above.

Example – a new ¼ panel will cost you $1000US, you then have to get it sent to LA to be put into a container or get a freight forwarding company to arrange shipping. Then taxes/customs/etc paid this end so it could end up costing twice that or more.

Once you start adding it up, a Car already here for $50k is not a bad option…..

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
...they are painted for a reason - to hide a lot of sins!!!

Are we back in the women thread? :D

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

^^^   LMAO

BTW - a $9k car at today's rates will cost about $16.5k to $17.5k landed here.

So that gives you about $32k to fix everything and rego it.

I have restored a lot of cars of different makes and models. $32k does not go very far at all.......

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
$32k does not go very far at all.......

but on the bright side, if you buy a dunger, you can always turn it into "ofuro"