Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
BMW 'M1' set for Australia
BARRY PARK

A quicker, wilder version of BMW's 1-Series Coupe could be heading down-under.

BMW'S most exciting performance car not to wear a coveted M badge - the compact 135i Coupe - is about to get a bit wilder.

BMW Australia has confirmed that it is considering bringing in a small number of coupes and giving them a performance hike, lifting the standard 3.0-litre twin-turbo six-cylinder engine's output from an already staggering 225kW of power and 400Nm of torque, up to 240kW and 450Nm.

Company spokesman Toni Andreevski said yesterday the company was already in talks with its head office in Germany about bringing in between 30 and 50 of the vehicles.

Andreevski said the higher-performance editions of the 135i would draw inspiration from the Concept 1-Series Tii show car revealed at the Tokyo motor show in 2007, although they would not wear the coveted Tii badge.

"The Tii badge is a very special one and has a very special place in BMW," he said. "We can't use it for this car."

However, he said the cars would have a distinctive look to make them stand out from other 135i coupes on the road.

That could mean the striking black and white colour scheme that featured on the show car, as well as a more aggressive-looking body kit with improved aerodynamics, boot lip spoiler, bigger brakes and individual 18-inch alloys.

Andreevski said the extra output would come from a BMW Performance power kit, a group of factory-designed enhancements that eke out the extra excitement. The only transmission offered will be the six-speed manual gearbox.

The kit includes special air intakes and filters, and lightweight carbon fibre components that all help to shave up to 0.2secs off the standard 135i's 5.3secs 0-100km/h sprint.

Other changes are likely to include sports seats with more lateral support, and a formula one-style steering wheel that can feed data to the driver via a three-section display built into the wheel's rim.

Andreevski said the performance modifications to the car would be made at the Australian dealership before the car was handed over to the customer.

Last month the BMW 135i Coupe won the 2009 Drive Car of the Year award for best performance car over $60,000 -- the second consecutive year that the car has taken the top gong.

Andreevski said BMW Australia would make its decision about the high-performance 135i within three months.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/bmw-m1-set-for-australia-20091210-kkmk.html

Offline brandonmillsap

I have always admired the German giants, and I am not changing anytime soon. I plan to get a 2001 135i. BMW for life!