Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/256919/

'Mega Mac' to eclipse Veyron

Work is under way at McLaren on a new flagship model that is intended to eclipse every supercar to date, combining blistering performance with ultimate agility and everyday usability.

Known internally as the ‘Mega Mac’, the new car is scheduled for a 2014 launch. The production run will be limited to just 500 units. The price is expected to be between £350,000 and £400,000 in today’s money.

According to insiders, the styling of the Mega Mac will be “bigger, angrier and more functional looking” than the MP4-12C, although it will have a family resemblance to both the current car and the McLaren F1.

It will also get active aerodynamics systems that include front and rear spoilers being deployed in certain conditions, in addition to the use of a rear airbrake, as seen on the MP4-12C.

Inside, the cabin will deliver impressive all-round visibility and luxuries will be kept to a minimum, with a small luggage space behind the seats. Sources say the car will be fitted with on-board data logging and a video camera to allow the driver to film his or her own track time.

At the core of the new car will an extraordinary 799bhp 5.0-litre V8 engine — that’s 160bhp per litre — which will be developed in conjunction with Ricardo.

According to insiders, maximum power will be developed at 7500rpm and 590lb ft of torque will be delivered between 3500rpm and 6800rpm. The engine will drive a Graziano seven-speed dual-clutch ’box.

According to McLaren’s internal calculations, the Mega Mac should hit 60mph in just 2.8sec, 100mph in 5.5sec and 200mph in just 20.0sec.

Although the car’s 0-60mph time is just slower than the 2.6sec Autocar obtained with the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, the Mega Mac should eclipse the Bugatti’s 0-200mph time of 22sec.

The Mega Mac will be based on a similar carbonfibre Monocell to the MP4-12C and will use similar, although extensively retuned, aluminium pushrod suspension, hydraulic anti-roll control, adaptive dampers and a five-stage traction control system.

Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes will be standard, as will Brake Steer and electronic brake force distribution.

Insiders say McLaren is considering making it possible to turn off the ABS system on race circuits. A sat-nav link would ensure that ABS could not be disabled on public roads.

The Mega Mac (whose showroom name may include the number ‘799’) will be built within the main McLaren building, rather than at the new bespoke MP4-12C factory site, at a rate of two to three per week over a three to four-year production life.

Hilton Holloway

Offline Marcus G

That picture looks hideous, but I do look forward to seeing this car.

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
 :scratchchin:

That picture looks hideous

agreed looks like something designed in someone's garage
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
The next car up is codenamed P12, a hypercar rival at the Lamborghini Aventador level, and a successor to the benchmark McLaren F1.

The next model is the P12. This will be the top expression of McLaren's motorsport-engineering philosophy. Despite running 800 horsepower or more, its weight shouldn't be vastly different from the 12C's because it will use more carbon fiber, including the crash structures and body panels. Active aero, Brake-Steer, and ProActive chassis might not be allowed in sport, but they follow the philosophy, because they allow faster lap times with less weight than conventional solutions.

Design director Frank Stephenson says the P12 and P13 won't look like different-sized replicas of the 12C. But there will be certain McLaren design cues: the dihedral door hinges, which aid entry; the glasshouse; a very low cowl for good forward visibility; the hidden rear lamps; even more detailed headlamp units compared with the 12C's; and an overall simplicity of design. Stephenson says the 12C's twin-blade side air intakes are probably not the most successful part of its styling-they were needed for functional reasons to turn the cooling air inwards toward the radiators.

The P12 will be shown within a year and a half; the P13, which has already passed design signoff, will be seen a year after that. This is one busy start-up.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1109_mclaren_four_new_models/

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
McLaren's new hypercar.
A couple of people on another global forum have seen the car in a private showing and claim it has over 1000hp....we will soon see if that is true!

McLaren Automotive To Make International Motor Show Premiere In Paris
British sportscar manufacturer to make international motor show debut
Next exciting chapter of the brand to be unveiled at 17.45 CEST (16.45 BST), on Thursday 27 September
Keep up-to-date with McLaren Automotive ahead of the Paris Motorshow via Facebook and Twitter
The next exciting chapter for McLaren Automotive will begin in Paris later this month, when the British sportscar company makes its international motor show debut.McLaren Automotive will use this stage to showcase future plans, and unveil to the world its strategy to fast forward the world of automotive at a press conference commencing at 17.45 CEST (16.45 BST), on Thursday 27 September.

The stage is set, and the story will unfold over the coming weeks through the official McLaren Automotive social media channels – keep up-to-date at www.facebook.com/McLarenAutomotive and by following @McLarenAuto on Twitter.

This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline RS

Really considering dropping into the motorshow when i'm in Paris

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Really considering dropping into the motorshow when i'm in Paris

I'm going Thursday 4/10 if that suits.

Offline RS

I'm going Thursday 4/10 if that suits.

Unfortunately I'm not getting to Paris until the 8th, sometime between booking everything at the start of the year until now the FIA GT1 round at Zandvoort has been cancelled so I'm stuck on the Dutch coast from the 4th to the 8th

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Unfortunately I'm not getting to Paris until the 8th, sometime between booking everything at the start of the year until now the FIA GT1 round at Zandvoort has been cancelled so I'm stuck on the Dutch coast from the 4th to the 8th

Get to Amsterdam.  You'll find something to amuse you there.  :mischief: