Offline adam01

Exactly. That's what I was thinking.

Under French law where criminal activity is suspected confiscation is allowed

Tis is tied up with human rights abuses and France being a signature to

Offline Nobleambitions

• Back from the naughty corner.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/mercedes-benz-600-pullman-barn-find-auction-2011-09-30

Fancy an abandoned 'barn find' Merc?

First, an apology. Yesterday we ran a story about a Ferrari Enzo that had been left to rot in the stifling desert heat of Dubai. The poor Enzo was riddled with sand and seemingly left for dead; a shame for such a rare and superlative supercar.

We were swamped with literally quite a few emails along the lines of ‘I can't believe it', and ‘give it to me', and ‘I'll take it off their hands and restore it', and ‘just give it to me and I'll fix it'.

We're keen to settle the cosmic imbalance this story has caused. We want to put something positive back into the universe, and this Mercedes is a step in the right direction. It is a disused, ‘barn-find' Mercedes 600 Pullman Limousine, and it is being offered up for auction at the annual London auction held by RM.

And when we mean ‘barn-find', we mean proper ‘barn-find': it is need of a full bonnet-to-bumper restoration.

Offline GRIML0CK122

• Drives: a zepline
tis funny how the people who can afford them take less care than us who dream of them.

Offline Paulstar

I always thought a barn-find (proper) meant the car was immac just dust if off / sympathetic restoration and drive it?

Offline Nobleambitions

tis funny how the people who can afford them take less care than us who dream of them.
There are proportionally way more people that don't take care of their 'normal' non-exotic cars than those who don't take care of their exotics. Besides, the person/people who put this car in storage didn't have the intent for it to end up like it did, the damage most likely accrued over time, and to them, every day the car would look the same, or only slightly worse.

I always thought a barn-find (proper) meant the car was immac just dust if off / sympathetic restoration and drive it?
Yeh, maybe a 2 month old barn find.
That Pullman has 40+ years of being exposed to dust/moisture, and judging by the dents it probably wasn't a prized possession for a large part of its life.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
They may have bought the car with the damage and missing parts years ago with the intention of restoring it and for whatever reason they never got around to it. It might have been a recovered theft vehicle that was vandalised when stolen.

Barn find can be anything thats collectible or just old, it doesnt have to be great condition and just covered in dust but more often than not it is.

Offline Nobleambitions

"Police to auction Ferrari Enzo that was dumped in desert"

A rare Ferrari Enzo supercar is about to go under the hammer in Dubai after a British businessman dumped the car in the desert before fleeing the country.

Being in debt can land you in jail in the Middle Eastern nation, so it is not uncommon for people to flee the country and leave behind their car at the airport. Based on auction results and current market prices, the dumped Enzo could fetch as much as $1.5 million when it goes under the hammer.

The rare Italian supercar - only 399 were built - was left 20 months ago and has been seized by the police. It will form part of a police auction that will include several other luxury cars.

More than 100 [129 to be precise] cars will be auctioned, including another three Ferraris, seven Porsches, and a number of Range Rovers, BMWs and Mercedes.

No reserve price has been mentioned

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/dumped-car-could-fetch-15-million-20120424-1xiea.html

Offline cel

I thought I read it wasn't happening as the car is still under investigation... or something like that.

Offline Nobleambitions

I thought I read it wasn't happening as the car is still under investigation... or something like that.
          My bad, should have used a more recent source:

"Abandoned" $1M Ferrari Enzo not up for sale after all?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/27/abandoned-1m-ferrari-enzo-not-up-for-sale-after-all/[/url]

Remember that Ferrari Enzo that is still sitting in a Dubai police impound lot for "reasons that have never been clear"? It was meant to be auctioned this week, but it wasn't, and the Dubai authorities added some information to the Enzo's backstory that boils down one word: Interpol.

Unpaid traffic fines are thought to have lead to a British businessman abandoning the seven-figure Ferrari almost two years ago. After numerous reports of the Enzo being headed to auction – which lead to numerous calls from big spenders trying to buy it outright, Dubai police said the Prancing Horse is on the notice list at the International Criminal Police Organization. Vehicles flagged by Interpol are said to usually be the subject of theft investigations, and according to Emirates 24|7, the police commander says the Enzo and nine other flashy rides were "seized as they were part of thefts."

That means that the next time you see pictures of the mummified Ferrari, you'll know why it's still there and not up for auction. And seeing how long international criminal cases can take to resolve, you'll know why it's probably going to be there for a while.