Offline 98octane

Couldn't remember if we had a scam thread or not.
Got this email.......    :rolleyes:

I hate poor grammar, punctuation and spelling.  (By the way, I'm referring to the email.)  :gnasher:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Well, at least I got an email from Car Sales saying that the enquire was a scam before I had a chance to report it. Good job.   

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Well, at least I got an email from Car Sales saying that the enquire was a scam before I had a chance to report it. Good job.   
Most likely they have some words like PayPal, Western Union etc. flagged and the messages get reviewed by a staff member.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Hmm, only like 13 posts but over 2,600 views of this topic.

Just had a USA visitor get here with the following search:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+scam+with+paypal+in+carsales.com.au

:scratchchin:

Offline CortinaD

Hmm, only like 13 posts but over 2,600 views of this topic.

Just had a USA visitor get here with the following search:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+scam+with+paypal+in+carsales.com.au

:scratchchin:

Your car in immaculate condition, I trust.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.thesatellite.com.au/story/2011/03/15/car-sale-scam-exposed/

Car sale scam exposed

by Chris Owen

RIVERHILLS resident Danielle Dawes was just one mouse click away from making the worst mistake of her life.

Had she not been stopped in time, the 36-year-old office manager would have lost more than $17,000 in an elaborate internet scam.

Ms Dawes said it began when she came across a car advertisement online.

“I was in the market to buy a car and looking at a car sales website, I came across one ad in particular that stood out – a 2005 Mini Cooper,” she said.

The advertisement said the car, priced at $17,000, was in excellent condition with low mileage and a full service history.

“I was excited at the great deal I had found,” she said.

Through the website, Ms Dawes emailed the vendor. His response was not what she expected.

“He replied with an email saying that since posting the ad he had moved to Tasmania on business and the car was now there with him,” she said.

His story concerned Ms Dawes, but the man seemed genuine and had plausible answers to her questions.

“He even had the correct VIN and engine number, so everything came up clean when I checked,” she said.

“His suggestion for selling the car was to use the buyer protection program on eBay.

“He would set up the transaction via eBay and I would deposit my money into a secure account that he could not touch until I confirmed through eBay that I was happy with the car.

“He was going to ship the vehicle to me at his own cost so I could inspect it.

“The eBay site seemed legit and secure, so I agreed.”

Moments before Ms Dawes deposited the money she was contacted by the carsales.com.au website and told the advertisement was fraudulent.

Ms Dawes said she felt ill when she realised how close she had come to losing her money.

“I found out from eBay that the transaction he had set up was fake, and all my money would have simply disappeared.

“I would have spent the next five years paying off a car I didn't have.”

Ms Dawes said she felt very gullible for having been taken in by the scam.

But Detective Superintendent Brian Hay, who has worked in the police fraud and corporate crime division for the past seven years, said hundreds of Australians were victims of internet fraud each year.

He said the best way to protect people and businesses against internet scam artists was to make them more aware of the problem.

“Many of these scammers won't argue too much on price, since they are keener to get the money deposited,” he said.

Det Supt Hay said the main rule was “to not do business with someone who you are not able to meet in person.”

Ms Dawes said she had definitely learned that lesson and had put off buying a car for the moment.

“One thing is certain - I'm never buying anything online again, unless I have spoken with the person over the phone at a minimum,” she said.

Offline Joel

Just got an email from a guy wanting to purchase the car site unseen and that he would pay with paypal..

This guy think i was born yesterday.... :doh:

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
That is standard.
You will also get text messages asking if the car is still for sale.
Unless they called me or sent email and left their phone number I did not respond to them.

Good luck with the sale

Offline Joel

Apparently he is a sailor and his wife gave birth to their son and now needs a 4wd..
I said the prices was negotiable 3 times and he didnt say anything.. I was there was a reverse scam where i got the money and he got stuck with the car and had to pay..

Online S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
I got more scam texts and emails than real offers for the wife's Toyota Echo a couple of months back.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better