Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
This is a pre-emptive post for a resto mob looking at dipping their toe into online advertising, looking for feedback - Pete should be along shortly to explain...

Offline pku

Greetings all, my name is Peter Upton (lurker on this great site since Oct 2008) and I am a co-owner of a classic car restoration facility located on the NSW Central Coast (about 40 minutes north of Hornsby on the F3). Previous work is far too long to list here but it includes such Marques as Aston Martin, Delage, Hispano, Bugatti and Voisin along with the usual suspects, Jag, Triumph, Austin Healy etc. We also have motorsport experience (6 x Targas) including a category win in a motorcycle engined clubman (What were we thinking!).

Of late we have seen a shift in the demographics looking to have work performed on their vehicles, in turn we have noticed a shift in the Marques requiring work. This has led us to look at our business model and this is where you the forum members may be able to provide some feedback.

My business partner who works in the financial markets was speaking to a number of traders last week and the topic shifted onto cars. Between them there was two Aston Martins (DBS & Vantage), a Ferrari 599 (just back from Taga Tour) as well as a number of older classics. All were of the opinion that minor body repairs were being significantly jacked up purely because of the badge on the front of their cars.

Without waffling on and making it sound even more spam like, I am after feedback or expressions of interest to have work carried out at the "Non-Sydney" rate of $70/hr + materials. We are not looking to do major accident repairs, just the small stuff that you may of wanted done for ages, or even work that may not warrant the hefty insurance excess (although we are an approved Shannon's repairer).

I have not included the name of the company and have run this message by Ash just to make sure it doesn't contravene forum etiquette. If we can generate some interest then we will of course sponsor the forum and would be happy to offer the car park and BBQ for any future runs north of Sydney.

Let me know your thoughts either on this thread or you can email me at: pku1269 (at) bigpond (dot) com

Thanks and I look forward to your feedback.

Pete

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Done. Sign us up.  :thumbsup:

Uber's got a dozen cars, always needing some work and there's other restos and mods that we'd be tempted to do, but drop off the radar as we can't deal with being overcharged, underserviced ... or provided services by chaps who mean really well, but at the end of the day are 'practicing' on some really expensive (and sometimes collectible) bits of kit.

If you're genuine, will live up to sticking to quotes and taking onboard reasonable variances (so not always hourly rate, but fixed price and time quotes for work as well - so you have skin in the game), and are willing to show the results and have customers comment on a public forum like this - then I'd be all for pushing some work your way.

You'll owe Ash a carton of beers and a subsection of cow for helping you drum up opportunities though!  :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
You'll owe Ash a carton of beers and a subsection of cow for helping you drum up opportunities though!  :)

Surf n turf :cool:

Offline j15

I'm interested too, need a front bumper respray after a dodgey repair.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
and the topic shifted onto cars

Nooooo... how could that possibly happen?   :D

And hmmmm... you're just up the road from me...    being on the north side myself, it would actually be quicker for me to check in on Uber repairs being done on the central coast rather than anywhere known as "Sydney".

Road trip Al?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Al's covered that pretty well right there.

In my experience and comments made to me, folks find it very difficult to locate a panel shop that is willing to do the work on an "expensive (and sometimes collectible) bit of kit" and give a shit about the finished product as well as the vehicle itself.

And I'm in the same boat as Al - I would have no problems referring work. But unfortunately not my rides - I do all those myself.   :)

Would you be offering a one stop shop - that is body/paint, mechanicals, auto-elec, interiors, etc, etc??? And what about big, full resto projects if they came your way???

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

.....being on the north side myself, it would actually be quicker for me to check in on Uber repairs being done on the central coast rather than anywhere known as "Sydney".

That what we call "Mary Pop'ins" in the trade.    :p

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com

That what we call "Mary Pop'ins" in the trade.    :p

Yeah that's me.  But I'm only little.  I just sit in the corner and watch without taking up too much space.   ;)

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Sorry, forgot to ask... PKU, could you please post up some pix of some projects that you're particularly proud of. Before and after's would be good.

It is the internet, so talk is cheap!    :eek:
C'mon, do it!