Offline 308

Are you aware of any idiosyncrasies involved in bringing Race or track oriented cars in? From what I remember when I made enquiries some time ago, you had to have a racing licence and I'm sure CAMS would be involved somewhere along the line too.

While Fezzas are nice, they're not my go or at least not the ones I could afford but I wish anyone luck who chooses to do this method. We pay absolutely stupid prices for cars here and it's all just Govt. theft. As if they're protecting any local industry by taxing a Porsche, Ferrari etc They're just crooks by a different name.
you need to look at the DOTARS website..that will give you an idea on what can be imported and under what scheme...it's a lot more difficult to import a car after 1989 but race cars probably have their own restrictions
cheers

Offline 308

here we go
8. Racing Vehicles - Part 11 of the Application Form
Rally Use/ Closed Circuit Racing

Before approving a Vehicle Import Application, the Administrator needs to be satisfied that the vehicle will be only used for rally/race purposes

Vehicle Import Applications for rally/race use will only be considered where the vehicle will be used in serious competition, generally at professional level. Where a particular vehicle model is readily available in the Australian market, a Vehicle Import Approval will not be granted unless there are compelling reasons to justify why it is necessary to import a vehicle to compete in events in Australia. The fact that a vehicle may be on an eligibility list for an event is not, of itself, a reason to justify the granting of a Vehicle Import Approval.

At a minimum, the following criteria must be met:

eligible vehicles for rally/race use are those homologated by the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA). A list of homologated vehicle models is available.
under normal circumstances applicants will be restricted to importing a single vehicle and acceptable reasons will need to be provided to import another vehicle for rally/race use.
road vehicles for rally use are imported on the condition that they will only be used in the course of competition, practice associated with competition and transport to and from a rally location.
the applicant must include a statement with their application that the vehicle will only be used for rally purposes together with a copy of a current CAMS R3 or higher grade licence.
For closed circuit racing the applicant must include a statement with their application that the vehicle will only be used for closed circuit racing purposes together with a copy of a current CAMS C3 or higher grade licence.
In addition, the applicant will need to provide evidence of a professional or high level involvement in rally/race sport, including:

details of events in which the applicant has driven a rally/race car;
details of specific events in which the applicant proposes to compete in the car for which the Vehicle Import Application is submitted;
details of the rally/race club or organisation of which the applicant is a member and the length of membership; and
if the vehicle is a model available in the Australian vehicle market, justification for the need to import the vehicle (cost of the vehicle in the domestic market will not generally be considered an acceptable justification).
Documents required to be submitted with the application form:

$50.00 application fee
purchase documents
copy of CAMS R3 or higher licence or CAMS C3 or higher
evidence of participation in rallying or closed circuit racing and
evidence of vehicles homologation,
certified picture ID of the importer or responsible officer if a company
if you have not imported in the last 12 months you will need to provide your ID again

Offline 333pg333

Yep that's what I remember and why it sucks to a degree. In other words if you intend to import a track vehicle of any nature and you are not a holder of a CAMS R3 or above licence, you're stuffed. What if you just want to compete at club level? Why do they care what level of CAMS Licence you have? You can see some amazing cars that are built up by other people OS and you can't buy them because of these laws, yet you can buy something similar here without any licence?

I imagine there are ways of circumventing this but that might take a little bit of initiative I guess.

Thanks for the link/post too.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hey Mondial32,

I would love to know more about this VASS. Is it like a roadworthy and how do you find these guys. Are they one and the same as RAWS workshops?

Is the process this,
1) Visit VASS bloke
2) Rectifiy noted items
3) Obtain VASS pass certificate (like roadworth cert)
4) Go over pits at RTA to Rego.

Does it still need a roadworthy certificate? Is there much else?
An 89 Testa has to go thru RAWS, an 88 will go thru the VASS system.
1st Jan 1989 is the cutoff, so anything after this will be a RAWS, anything before is VASS.
And if you are VASSing a vehicle between 1985 and 1988 it has to comply with ADR37 and is a real pain in the arse.

Basically book the car in to the VASS engineer, they will inspect it and tell you what needs to be done so the car will comply.
There will be items like, intrusion bars in the doors, sun visors, head rests, emissions(eg.ADR37) just to name a few.
Once that is done and the car inspected the second time, you will be issued with a certificate that will last for 28 days.
And a RWC will be needed, but that is just the same as doing any vehicle.

The Vehicle will need to be presented at RTA/Vicroads, etc.
The following items need to be shown to them:
VASS cert.
RWC
Import approval
bill of sale.

They will inspect the vehicle for the VIN # and engine #, to my knowledge they will not put it over the pit unless there is modifications.

What state are you in??? I can give you a list of Victorian VASS engineers, and I think that some of them are accepted in NSW as well.

Also, have a look thru this:

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/ferrari/need-some-help-please-be-gentle-vassing-a-1988-mondial-t1751.0.html

Also remember if you are thinking of importing a car, the Aussie delivered version is probably going to be cheaper and a better proposition.

Mostly the only vehicles worth importing are those that may not have been Aussie delivered or if the vehicle is considerably cheaper.

There are lots of threads on here about this.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Mostly the only vehicles worth importing are those that may not have been Aussie delivered

i love my 328GTB :)

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline Randazzo

Hey, Ive heard of people getting letters from the manufacturers verifying compliance. Do these carry any weight?

Does anyone  know much about the ferrari 456 and whether or not the RAWS component is worth much?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hey, Ive heard of people getting letters from the manufacturers verifying compliance. Do these carry any weight?

Does anyone  know much about the ferrari 456 and whether or not the RAWS component is worth much?

Yes, but in the case of a UK Ferrari they do not comply because of emmissions(ADR37) so even a letter is not going to help.

If you want to find out what cars can be imports after 1989, here is the list.

http://www.raws.com.au/SEVSReg.asp

The 456 is on there but I would be doing my homework big time, the RAWS cost on a 355 was $35k plus GST plus Aussie tyres which I would assume is pretty close to the 456.
So the 355 was not worth importing, as a nice Aussie one can be purchased for around the same money.

And I have seen 456's for sale @ around $150k.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
the RAWS cost on a 355 was $35k plus GST plus Aussie tyres

are you calling Pless a liar?