Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/how-this-high-roller-saturated-youtube/story-e6frea83-1226256305447

CAR lover Lance Vater has loaned his two Rolls-Royces to a mate for his wedding.

While professionals took care of the major cleaning yesterday, Mr Vater tenderly rubbed orange oil into the wood panelling on the rear of his Phantom Drophead Coupe.

It is worth about $1.2 million, after all.

Always a talking point, the Drophead and Vater have been making news for all the wrong reasons this week, after a soggy excursion that has car lovers around the globe talking.

Even this day, the two stand out amid the gym gear and BMWs frequenting the business. Vater is wearing patent leather black shoes, a diamond-encrusted bracelet, a trilby and a sparkly silver tie.

He didn't start out rich but after a lot of hard graft he can afford to indulge a little.

"I get up at 4am every day, always have, after getting up with my dad to help with the cows," he said.

"He said he would never give me pocket money but that if I caught rabbits he would skin and gut them and help me sell them. That was the start."

His first car was a 1928 Rugby Tourer with a hole cut in the roof so he could get inside.

Over the years he's owned Ferraris, a Corvette Stingray, a Pontiac Firebird, a Lexus or two, a Jaguar V12 sports, and a V12 twin-turbo Bullit, but it's the Drophead that is special.

Bought just before Christmas - along with a Maserati for his fiancee, Lissi - Mr Vater parked it on Jetty Rd about two weeks ago.

Top down to enjoy the sun, he didn't think twice before strolling to the shops.

But while he browsed books, a storm moved over the coast, dumping torrential rain on the street, pedestrians, and the inside of the Rolls.

And, like all modern moments best forgotten, there was someone there to catch it on their phone.

The video has had almost 25,000 hits on YouTube in less than a week.

While some speculated online that the clean-up cost could be as much as $100,000, that good old country ingenuity meant it was a lot cheaper.

"It was a wet drive home but I soaked it all up with four big towels," he said. "It had a good bath.

"I'm a car man but nothing phases me anymore. It's water off a duck's back."

In typical Lance style -  no sweat!