Offline pku

Just reading Australian Classic Cars and they have an article on "Future Classics - What cars will be collectable 20 years from now?" Their short list of 12 is interesting and perhaps fairish.

Anyone have any thoughts on this topic? Lets keep the real exotics out of it and think about what you see driving around on the roads everyday. It is a subject that I have asked people about so many times and there doesnt seem any really strong feeling for what is the next GTHO, XU1 or even an EH wagon.

If the current crop of plastic cars makes it too hard, how about what I term "sleeping beauties"? They might be old and laughed at but one day ....

As an example we have almost completed a resto on a BMW 3.0 CS that the owner was considering sending to the wreckers, (out of rego full of rust) and there is already one guy making offers beyond the resto cost. Mini Mokes is another one that seems to be getting hyped with good cars going for well over $15k.

Curious on your thoughts no matter how silly they might sound.

Pete

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Great topic, and I'm being selfish as all the Uber purchases are now also focussed on 'collectibility'.

Can you ping up the list from the magazine mate?

Offline futurism

• Drives: Porsche 911 996 GT3
  • Name: David
anything made by tvr, as they will be the last powerful, comfortable cars with no nanny devices at all

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Hyundai getz?

:D

nah, seriously....

here's my tip.....

Go buy a 360 GT.... a Michelotto built car ideally, but even the N-GT of Scott Davis, the converted by Veloqx car, will be very collectable when the old man Michelotto dies one day.......

Current prices are around $180k to $300k depending on source, condition, spares, originality and history.

I reckon they'll hit $0.5M before too long.

Basically, same price as a road 360 stradale will see each go very different ways.

Offline domino

• doing it topless

• Drives: on E85
only modern day classic imo is going to be a Carrera GT

with the current economy and increasing focus on profit/safety/emissions etc Porsche will never do anything like it again

wind back the clock a little further and i rekon the 993 Turbo S will become very desirable.....993 Turbos are already worth more than 996 Turbos. Or try and get your hands on an Aus delivered 964 Turbo 3.6 (think Weltmeister has one atm)

any hot baby Ferrari or 911 for eg will just be replaced when the new model comes out....360CS is old news compared to a 430 Scud, likewise who remembers the 996 GT3 RS when the 997 GT3 RS was such a huge leap

no need to mention an F40, they're already on the way up. Maybe a 512LM - last of the flat 12 rear engined Ferraris

seldom do non-standalone models become highly sought after collectables

Offline tentacles1

I can see the BMW Z8 becoming a collectors item as well as the Alfa 8C, agree on the Carrera GT too. What a shame none of these were made in RHD...

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

How about stuff that's actually not already 150K+, and can be road driven here. No arguments with the selection above, but most are purely academic unless you are a collector who doesn't want to enjoy them.

Offline tentacles1

How about stuff that's actually not already 150K+, and can be road driven here. No arguments with the selection above, but most are purely academic unless you are a collector who doesn't want to enjoy them.

Fair enough. 996 GT3 RS, M3 CSL, Z3 & Z4 M Coupe, NSX-R and RS4 Avant are a few that spring to mind, might be breaking the 150k barrier with a couple though.

Offline M308

• Degranged

I can see the BMW Z8 becoming a collectors item

Funny you mention the Z8, there is 1 on Ebay.com for starting bid US$1.3 :confused: Very rich atm for what you get & what it is compared to other vehicles available for the same dollars.
It's hard to pick a future calssic because most current classics these days that are worth big bucks have some sort of racing pedigree or history i.e. GTHO, GTR, Ferrari GTO, GT40 etc. Great discussion point though :thumbsup:

Edit: Sorry, just double checked it, they must have corrected it & it is now US$130,000. That's a bit better ;)

Offline cjay