Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
ok Maybe I'm looking at it wrong or my intentions arn't as high as some here.

I thought buy it 40-50k Km sell it after weekender for 5 years with 75-80Km get money back....

Thats all.

If I buy 911 say late 996 with 50-70K Km my guess is when I get it to 80- 100K Km  Im' going to loose 10 K$ minimum.  I dont know.....

I know i'm more conservative than most people, and I completely agree that you always want to minimise your tear up on any transaction you do, it's just good business. But it really seems to me that you may be over stretching yourself if you're worried about $10k tear up on a car.  If that's the case you really need to reconsider.

When I got my 996TT despite being 'a good car' according to the PPI, i was still lumped with a service bill over $5k the week it arrived to fix a bunch of stuff i was not expecting. If tear up is a big deal for you, my suggestion would be buy an Elise.  you can pick them up in the 30s' these days and likely you'd get around $25 - $35 back for it in 5 years depending on which model you buy.  They're very basic cars, parts are cheap and still quite a bit of fun to drive as long as you hit the twisties instead of the cafe strip.  Just some food for thaught.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Spot on Looney.

Dave, why not just get a higher K's S2000 if you like the car and drive the wheels off it?  Gotta live man! Could pick this up for a third of the price and looks like just as many funs.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Honda-S2000-1999/OAG-AD-13533075/?Cr=27

C'mon, do it!

Offline David B

Hey Guys Great Advice,  Thanks!!

I will only be putting on 5-8K a year max on the car I get,  with my work I am stuck in front of a computer most of my waking time...  Car will be there for a relaxing drive to just get away from the screens ( and the wife and kids ..shh) for a bit of down time.

I could get a boxter too!!  the Budget is still not finalised so thats why I am a bit all over the place in choices, and idea's.

The lotus is a good idea but I am looking for something I could do the odd overnighter with the wife to the wineries so it maybe a little too go cart for me.

As I am never going to track I quite like the idea of a convertible as I had an MGF series 2 and it was great fun but had to sell it to pay for first daughters IVF...25K ouchy decision to swap car for first born (literally!!!)  but I always knew I'd get around to getting another weekender car eventually.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I could get a boxter too!!  the Budget is still not finalised so thats why I am a bit all over the place in choices, and idea's.

If you haven't driven one make sure you do before you decide, hire one for the day, I think you'll be reluctant to give it back.

Offline looney

What he said ^^^^^

The Boxster is a fantastic all rounder. It's a shame it has the stigma that it does but they are a very good thing for the money.  I actually think the 986's are starting to look better with age.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

What he said ^^^^^

The Boxster is a fantastic all rounder. It's a shame it has the stigma that it does but they are a very good thing for the money.  I actually think the 986's are starting to look better with age.

I actually found it more fun than any of the 911's I've "gunnad"

Offline looney

I actually found it more fun than any of the 911's I've "gunnad"

Their only downsided are the stupidly long gears.  See comments about this in the fantastic cars to buy thread.  And that they're convertibles because I don't like skin cancer or people looking at me, but that is personal preference.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Their only downsided are the stupidly long gears.  See comments about this in the fantastic cars to buy thread.  And that they're convertibles because I don't like skin cancer or people looking at me, but that is personal preference.

I'm no fan of convertibles either and they (the Boxster) don't tick the boxes for what I need but I love'm anyway  :)
So cheap now too and you don't need a late model to get the feelgood effect.....just fun

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Votes are in then.

The Boxster is definitely the car you should talk about buying but never actually get.
C'mon, do it!

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
Votes are in then.

The Boxster is definitely the car you should talk about buying but never actually get.

Spot on I suspect.
I love my car. Buy your own