Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
and make the rarer ones available :doh:...like the f40

yep, absolutely.

I can think of about 30 people who would happily pay about $250k in taxes to legally import and comply an F40 and drive it.

If it were legal to drive them, you could sell F40's for ~$1M all day long here.

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
I agree...

I think easily available cars shouldn't be allowed in... things like 360/550/Gallardo/Murcie etc etc... all stuff here.

We need to protect the buyers of Aussie delivered cars from a damaged market price.

there should be some rule like...

"If there's more than a dozen pop up when you do a for sale search, it's  a" NO GO"

So, things like 328 GTB, Dry sump 308's, and generally models that were never sold here SHOULD always be allowed in.

and anyway, where did your Lambo come from???? :tilt:

Well as you know i have other cars apart from my countach and testa.
These I imported because they were never imported to Australia (in the case of the testa)  and
Countach's have been virtually impossible to find one for sale until recently.

The Testa's i saw in Australia for sale had been converted LHD to RHD (one is currently for sale)  or had been hit hard. So hence i travelled to UK to find one.

But i would never dream of importing a Gallardo or 360 because they are a common production cars and the Aussie delivered cars are generally:-
Better cared for
Haven't been in accidents
Have a service history that can be checked- and generally come with service books.
Haven't been driven on salty roads and hence have a floor.
And only worth a few dollars more.

If your spending that sort of money an extra $20-$50K isn't alot in the scope of things.

I have had my share of surprises with 1 rare exotic import i purchased in the past.
But that was over 20 years ago.

Shit i feel old!

Persistence Beats Resistance

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Well as you know i have other cars apart from my countach and testa.

And these are "Classics" now, so they don't count.   :tilt:

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au

And these are "Classics" now, so they don't count.   :tilt:

No  I am an Eighties Teenager/Adult...
We are still living in the eighties  ....aren't we :scratchchin:
Persistence Beats Resistance

Offline UKKAUS

I think its nice to have the option of a lesser priced imported car though, not everyone will want to or can afford to pay the extra 50 - 60k Australian delivered cars cost. We're not all bad us importers you know, some of us are just earning a living! We're not out to crash the Australian economy!

Offline dkabab

sometimes i wish entry level exotics were 1mil plus... they are the unobtanium of most people. at 150k second hand, or even 400k new, they aren't that far out of reach of the mortal man.

guess both a pro and con.

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
sometimes i wish entry level exotics were 1mil plus... they are the unobtanium of most people. at 150k second hand, or even 400k new, they aren't that far out of reach of the mortal man.

guess both a pro and con.

Agreed. Remember in the '80s when a Countach was $695k, yet a mansion in a rich suburb was $200k? People that bought Countach's in those days were TRULY rich. That's the way it should be.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
We're not out to crash the Australian economy!

actually, that's EXACTLY what IS happening...

and more than that... the amount of cars leaving the UK will mean damage is getting done there too....

Currently, the % of exotics getting sold in the UK that are being exported is at an all time high....

It's not all bad of course... it's almost criminal how much more a 360/Gallardo is worth here, in perspective, to it's equivalent UK value.... so I can see it both ways....

Luckily, I'm dual (UK/OZ) nationality... so I can have my bread buttered both sides ;)

Offline 98octane

Agreed. Remember in the '80s when a Countach was $695k, yet a mansion in a rich suburb was $200k? People that bought Countach's in those days were TRULY rich. That's the way it should be.

Really?  I appreciate the point - that exotics aren't as "exotic" as they used to be as "anyone" can buy one now - but if that was still the case today, this forum wouldn't exist and many of it's members wouldn't have their exotics.   How would you (I use the word in the generic sense) be able to build up your exotic collection?  Instead of a garage of several cars, maybe you'd have to make do with just one, and then you'd be reluctant to use you car as much due to its much higher relative value.  Whereas today there are many people you use their exotics as DDs, how many drove a Countach as a DD in the '80s?

Offline UKKAUS

There's too many cars in the UK, so i'm doing us a favour, the more that go abroad, the higher our prices will go on used, that makes sense doesn't it? So no damage done in the UK. I personally dont really care for comments like Exotics should be for the really rich and not the average man, thats just unfair.  :thumbsdown: