Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Ive been quoted $2500 to have my timing belt done by the local dealer
They havent checked how much the actual belt/kit is yet, so will firm up the quote once they get it, but tell me its a day to a day and a half labour.

Ive told them to give me a proper quote before they do any work

so now to the local vs imported argument

I have checked with Bell and Colvill, who are the biggest official Lotus dealer in the UK
The belts cost 80 pounds for both the alternator and timing belt (im not sure if I need both done)

The engine in my Europa S is an ecotec engine which you can find in an Astra turbo and also some Saabs I think, I predict the belts are the same, you can buy a kit to do the whole lot for 40 pounds, including pulleys and tensioners.

Now to the labour, the estimate of a day to a day and a half doesnt correspond with the opel astra forum guys who have the service book for an opel astra turbo which tells the dealers to quote 2 hours labour for the job

Now lets see what the local price ends up being!

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Took the Esprit into the old Fezz dealership on Glen Osmond rd earlier this year (before they shut down).  They quoted me $1000 to replace all the belts (which I was going to supply) - which I thought was fair.

Oh and btw, I lived 10 minutes up the road from Bell & Collvill.  Last job they did for me was to replace the whole rear gearbox mount framework.  Cost me 120 pounds for labour and parts.  Cheap as chips & and they also know what they're doing.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Ive been quoted $2500 to have my timing belt done by the local dealer
They havent checked how much the actual belt/kit is yet, so will firm up the quote once they get it, but tell me its a day to a day and a half labour.

Ive told them to give me a proper quote before they do any work

so now to the local vs imported argument

I have checked with Bell and Colvill, who are the biggest official Lotus dealer in the UK
The belts cost 80 pounds for both the alternator and timing belt (im not sure if I need both done)

The engine in my Europa S is an ecotec engine which you can find in an Astra turbo and also some Saabs I think, I predict the belts are the same, you can buy a kit to do the whole lot for 40 pounds, including pulleys and tensioners.

Now to the labour, the estimate of a day to a day and a half doesnt correspond with the opel astra forum guys who have the service book for an opel astra turbo which tells the dealers to quote 2 hours labour for the job

Now lets see what the local price ends up being!

http://www.esmotorsport.co.uk/service-centre Cam belt fitted, im guessing with parts included, under 300 pounds in the UK. Alternator is not going to be more than 50 pounds on top of that.  The over estimate of 350 pounds in the uk is just under $530AUD and thats with parts included.

Call Italservice  71 Gibson St, Bowden, SA 5007 Tel: (08) 83463114 for a price, would be very interesting.

Offline futurism

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Hey Looney

is that a new car i see?

nice!

mate its Aspirational at the moment, gotta sell the Twin Turbo first

Offline futurism

I got my car back today.

The initial quote for the timing belt was $2500, including fitting, which would apparently take a day and a half.

I told them I didnt want that done then. I will risk it. I informed them its a $500 job when done by a Lotus dealer in the UK, including parts etc.

What I was really going to do was import the kit myself from Bell and Colvill and get someone else to fit it.

After an exchange via phone, where I again mentioned the costs at various well known UK places for the parts and fitting, the service manager called me, and then emailed me. He explained that the person who originally quoted shouldnt have done so, as it wont cost that much.

After a bit of going back and forth, the kit was magically sourced from Holden locally, as the UK kit is ordered from Vauxhall and Lotus can not supply it themsleves.

I was origanally told its not possible to fit non genuine Lotus parts. I had my doubts Lotus manufacture timing belts because they dont make engines after all.

Parts and fitting came down to $650 which included extra work to remove a seized bolt and source a replacement.

I suspect had I have just accepted the $2500 price origanally quoted, thats what I would have been charged.

In good news, nothing else could be found to do on my car, the radiator was flushed and checked, the engine oil was still as clear as when it went in, theres no leaks or weeps or whatever in the engine, the brakes are now fine despite being told at the last service that the discs were buggered.
To fix the brakes about a year ago, I took it elsewhere and sourced my own pads, the problem was the fluid was stuffed, and had lumps in it!

Turbo seems a bit more aggressive from lower revs after the major service, could just be perception though.

So, major service done, brakes done 3500km ago, new battery a month or 2 ago, new tyres 300km ago.
If only my paint job on the front could be fixed quickly it would be perfect!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Excellent, keeping the bastards honest!

This crap happens so often and it gives us grease monkeys a bad name.

Despite them coming clean, you should still write a real letter to higher management within the company, and even point them to the fact you've put it on the net.