Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
As we all know Adelaide only has one BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz dealer. Having purchased locally it's like a captive market. I just wanted to know if any of you guys have purchased a new car interstate and had it delivered locally.

I figure with the wonders of technology I can get a better deal buying interstate since its a new car and I know exactly what I will be getting.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

As we all know Adelaide only has one BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz dealer. Having purchased locally it's like a captive market. I just wanted to know if any of you guys have purchased a new car interstate and had it delivered locally.

I figure with the wonders of technology I can get a better deal buying interstate since its a new car and I know exactly what I will be getting.

Any feedback would be appreciated

I've thought about it but it's hard to see much benefit.  The local dealer has a cost advantage as the manufacturer's price includes delivery to the dealer.  If the dealer has to get it to you interstate, they are burning margin to do it.  Maybe if an interstate dealer had a car that couldn't be found locally, it might make sense but the local dealer will usually find a way to do a swap. I was offered an E60 M5 from an interstate BMW dealer back when they were hard to find but Adelaide BMW managed to find me a car to keep my business.  I usually do a factory built order so there's no advantage buying interstate as it involves a long wait either way.  What are the wonders of technology you refer to?

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

What are the wonders of technology you refer to?
The Internet. You have heard about it.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
I've purchased from intestate years ago - BMW - when the local dealership had a punk who was giving me the bum treatment and I ended up buying from Mildura as I was working in the Riverland then and it wasn't that far away. In addition, they did discount it quite significantly.

I've also purchased a C63 from MB Toorak as they had one in stock back when it first came out and I could jump the queue.

Nowadays though, I try and support the local dealership although they do know that they need to be competitive too - (not super cheap to the point it makes no sense for them to remain in business!) and i do have good contacts at both BM and MB to remain relatively well looked after.

As for Audi, my last purchase was a Q7 from the local dealership after making sure they at least matched Five Docks in NSW on price but I WILL NEVER purchase another car from the locals ever again be it Audi, VW or any other of their cars - been treated like crap one too many times to ever give them my business again.

Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

The Internet. You have heard about it.

Is that all?  I figured it must be something else because the internet won't help you get a better bargain on a new car.  Perhaps he means the telephone? :p

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

As for Audi, my last purchase was a Q7 from the local dealership after making sure they at least matched Five Docks in NSW on price but I WILL NEVER purchase another car from the locals ever again be it Audi, VW or any other of their cars - been treated like crap one too many times to ever give them my business again.

Wow - that doesn't sound good.  I've had great service from Solitaire in the main.  I've bought 2 Golfs and 2 Lambos from them and found them very competitive every time.  Or are  you talking aftersales service?

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Could try using a car broker. I contacted one before I bought the CC but ended buying locally for a touch more but could collect the car at a dealer not at a truck depot at Wingfield.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Could try using a car broker. I contacted one before I bought the CC but ended buying locally for a touch more but could collect the car at a dealer not at a truck depot at Wingfield.

Interesting idea - I've wondered about them in the past.  I guess they could be handy for hard-to-find new models.

Offline alvchua

Wow - that doesn't sound good.  I've had great service from Solitaire in the main.  I've bought 2 Golfs and 2 Lambos from them and found them very competitive every time.  Or are  you talking aftersales service?
Sales was fine - was the attitude of the service dept - 1st time was in 1999 - had just purchased a Audi A4 2.6 V6 - drove it back from the Riverland 3 times as the car would literally die when pulling out onto the Sturt Highway (with a limit of 110km/h) and having a truck literally eat your rear view mirror whilst the car would limp to a halt! - after 3 times to be told that I was imagining it, last straw car blocked the local hospital entrance for 3 hours and I bypassed them going direct to Audi Australia who had the car towed back to them. After a week - same service manager rings me saying that I had to take the car back as there was nothing wrong with it and it was taking up space in their yard!! I refused and told him to keep looking - poetic justice - he drove the car home that night, going across the Cross Rd/Princess Hwy intersection - it died on him - towed it back and it was a faulty radiator sensor causing engine management system to shut down to prevent overheating!

A few episodes in between then 2nd significant time was with the Q7 - only 2 months old - spare key would not disarm/arm/start car - took it back and service dept said tell your wife to take it out of her handbag so things would not press and accidentally drain battery!!! (SWMBO was NOT IMPRESSED!!) - a week later, same issue, key was sitting on bench entire time!! Appears car was so new they could not "reprogram" it locally yet at the time! (We sold the Q7 after 4 months!!)

A few other minor service dept incidents along the way too and recently with my a VW I had bought my dad to use!

My gripe is every car can have idiosyncrasies/incidents but treating customers like idiots was definitely a no no in my opinion!

Offline alvchua

Fortunately Duttons is now not that far away!  ;)