Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: Lotus Evora S
Hi Guys.

Need some advice/opinions. All the dealers are now trying sell (with a new car) a Paint Protection product which covers all external and internal areas of your car. It apparently uses high-tech nano techology and it means you never have to polish your car again. Just shampoo and rinse off. Same for the internal leather and plastic. For the life of the vehicle! Takes a day to apply and is ~$2,500. High gloss shine never goes. If it does they re-do it for you.

The brands are MotorOne.com, X-Pack and SmartKote. Question is; does it work, is it BS or can you buy someting and do it yourself?

Thanks,

ACP

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Check the related topics at the bottom of the page, I know nothing much about the technology, but I can say you'll probably do better to go third party than tick a box at a dealer.

Offline ACP

Thanks. Never heard of it before. Doesn't seem to have taken the mainstream by storm at all.

Online andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
You do realise that ANY of that stuff will void the manufacturer's paint warranty? Regardless what the dealer will tell you.

Paul was head at Honda and Francois head at Audi and they would reject any paint warranty claims if the car had ANY paint protection applied, etc. As soon as the protection is applied, the manufacturer washes their hands of it and any warranty claims can be taken up with the person that applied the protection  :rolleyes:

Offline ACP

Dealer said that any issues regarding paint and/or leather will be fixed at their cost regardless of whether or not the manufacturer comes to the party.

I would've thought that if it was so good that manufacturers would offer it as a factory option, but it doesn't appear so...

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
From what I've seen, dealers make as much if not more $$ from warranty claims out of the manufacturer, than they do from retail sales in the workshop.

The manufacturer trusts the dealers to be honest about faults, they rarely, if ever, investigate.

Dealers have licence to print money IMO.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Ask them do they do Rockote. That way on hot days you can cook on it and still not scratch it.... not sure you retain the shine though.
Remember back when you only had the choice of Ming paint protection? I wonder what ever happened to the Ming Dynasty.

Offline adam01

• Drives: vw anything
From what I've seen, dealers make as much if not more $$ from warranty claims out of the manufacturer, than they do from retail sales in the workshop.

The manufacturer trusts the dealers to be honest about faults, they rarely, if ever, investigate.

Dealers have licence to print money IMO.

Manufacturers audit warranty claims on a random basis its not a free for all
Large claims are investigated by their area representatives b4 work starts

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I wonder what ever happened to the Ming Dynasty.

When I'm being hit on by Cougars I imagine they're from the Minge Dynasty.

Offline mazdathree

Hi Guys.

Need some advice/opinions. All the dealers are now trying sell (with a new car) a Paint Protection product which covers all external and internal areas of your car. It apparently uses high-tech nano techology and it means you never have to polish your car again. Just shampoo and rinse off. Same for the internal leather and plastic. For the life of the vehicle! Takes a day to apply and is ~$2,500. High gloss shine never goes. If it does they re-do it for you.

The brands are MotorOne.com, X-Pack and SmartKote. Question is; does it work, is it BS or can you buy someting and do it yourself?

Thanks,

ACP

Stumbled across this thread and thought I wld share my experience (better late then never!) I went through a similar situation, brought a car from a dealership and they tried to sell me a similar type of product. Anyway a fter sussed it out some more  decided to give it a go….anyway 2.5 years later and still as shiny as ever. These new age 'nano' products have surpassed the Ming Era for sure. Suggest you all check it out – I def recommend it