Poll

If you had the chance to own just one Supercar from the 1970's which one would you go for.

Lancia Stratos HF
2 (5.7%)
DeTomaso Pantera
0 (0%)
DeTomaso Mangusta
1 (2.9%)
BMW M1
0 (0%)
Lamborghini Countach
6 (17.1%)
XY GT-HO Phase III
0 (0%)
Lamborghini Miura SV
12 (34.3%)
Ferrari 365 BB
1 (2.9%)
Porsche RS
4 (11.4%)
Jensen Interceptor III
1 (2.9%)
Moteverdi Hai 450SS
1 (2.9%)
Ferrari Daytona
3 (8.6%)
Ferrari 246 Dino
0 (0%)
Maserati Khamsin
0 (0%)
XA GT Phase 4
1 (2.9%)
Alfa Montreal
0 (0%)
BMW 3.0 CSL
3 (8.6%)
Mercedes-Benz C-111
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Post the photo here or pm it to me please!! One of the cars on my bucket list!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Daytona for me.

And I note a lot of Stratos love.
I take the HF and raise you the Bertone concept. Perfect combination of 70s supercar and 80s Michael Jackson fandom :)

:lovies:

Offline Stingray69

• Drives: Magnum's car but grey
  • Name: Rennie
I adore 70ís supercars but I guess its a generational thing. I grew up reading articles penned by Doug Blain, Mel Nichols, Ian Fraser, Peter Robinson, Gavin Green etc. During the eighties, I avidly read and collected a UK publication called ďSupercar ClassicsĒ every month from 1983 until its sad demise in 1991. I suspect other regulars to this website did likewise.
For me, the best 3 supercars of the 1970ís were the Lamborghini Countach LP400, the Ferrari 246 Dino/ 308 GTB and the Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7. On further reflection, I think the Lancia Stratos should be included too.Let me explain.

The Lamborghini Countach LP 400 is the definitive 70ís supercar-in fact one could argue its the first true supercar and maybe, the definitive supercar of all time. When we hear the word ďsupercarĒ, its the Countachís shape that instantly springs to mind-every supercar since the Countach has itís DNA-think F-40,Cizeta,XJ220,EB110,F1,Enzo,Veyron. Sure, the Miura SV and Boxer 365/512 were more beautiful but both were fundamentally flawed by their mechanical packaging which deeply comprised their driving dynamics, the former with its transverse engine(and which no subsequent supercar of merit has followed, Cizeta excepted) and the later with its flat 12 mounted above the gearbox. Not that the Countach is without serious flaws itself. Dreadful visibility, poor accommodation and a raised crankshaft from its radical gearbox made extracting itís full performance potential difficult and blunted itís sharp driving dynamics for some drivers. The moderns score over the Countach by using technology to overcome the weaknesses inherent in the supercar format. Nonetheless, the Counatchís greatness lies in laying down the template for all subsequent supercars.

The Dino 246 and 308 GTB score by being supremely balanced and beautiful. Sure, a few junior supercars handled better with a proper north/south mid engine (think Esprit, BMW M1, Pantera), others went harder (think Pantera GT5, Porsche 911 SC, 930 turbo) and some offered better accommodation (think 911/928, Maserati Merak, BMW 635 CSi) but none equalled the Dino 246/308 with their blend of beauty,charisma and accessible performance. For me, the only weakness with the 308 is that it is forever associated with that TV series Magnum P.I, which has dulled the impact that the 308 GTB had on the motoring world in the 1970ís.

The Porsche 911 RS 2.7 is the perfect example of taking a flawed package and making it flawless. Here is car that still exists to this day in the form of 997 GT3. The original 2.7 RS has it all-iconic shape, charismatic engine, involving handling, peerless racing pedigree, reliability and ease of use. No wonder itís so sort after. Iím no 911 fan but I respect this car deeply. In fact, I respect all 911ís but this car is truly special.

Lastly, a special mention must be given to the Lancia Stratos. The first Supercar Classics magazine I ever bought was the Winter 1985 issue, which had the Stratos on its front cover but bought by me for the Maserati Khamsin featured in the back. Like the 911 RS, Iíve never fell inlove with the Stratos but its another 70ís supercar I DEEPLY respect. This is a car with one of the VERY best Gandini shapes, a brilliant engine, super responsive handling and the first proper supercar to win (nay, dominate) rallys. In fact, it was the first car designed specially designed to win rallys and fully deserved it triple championships in 75,76,and 77. Gandini and Dallara were a potent combination during the sixties and seventies.The fact that the Stratos isnít my all-time favourite but should be says more about me than the car.

All supercars are about emotion in motion but for me, the thing I love about 70ís and 80ís supercars is that emotion was the primary factor in their design with engineering a close second whereas today, its the other way round. Which is better? Well, thats a matter of personal preference. Neither way is better and thatís what makes the supercar/exotic car world an interesting place. 
If you ain't living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

What a post ... have you answered this forum question before!???    :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline Last_Ride

• Drives: a thing with 4 wheels
  • Name: call me habib
i loved ferrari since the day i managed to understand what a car is ........ so being a ferrari guy i would buy Lamborghini Miura SV :D
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
my car does 0-100 in 30 mins

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44014241@N03/

Offline Stingray69

• Drives: Magnum's car but grey
  • Name: Rennie
To alanuber, no I haven't posted on this forum before but I've visited this site countless times before. I've been living in Japan for the last 7 years and returned to Melbourne 8 months ago. As you can tell, I love exotics from the 70's and 80's and I like to think I know my apples. Right now, I'm actively searching for a 308 GTB or even maybe a 308 GTS, so if anyone can recommend one that is for sale either on car sales or through a friend, it would be greatly appreciated.
I appreciate all exotics. Its variety that makes the world go round and I would never disparage anyone's personal choices. God, it would be a boring place if all liked the same cars. Despite what i wrote earlier, I have a real soft spots for the Maserati Bora/Khamsin and the Giugiaro Esprit Turbo.
And to Last_Ride, yeah the Lamborghini Miura SV is easily the most beautiful exotic ever, so I can understand your choice. A shape designed by Giugiaro and details by Gandini, the two greatest car designers of all time, expect nothing less then the very best.

If you ain't living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space

Offline kailin

• Drives: 535i
i had to go for the interceptor as my pop has a mk1 experimental car and one day it will be mine

Offline Last_Ride

• Drives: a thing with 4 wheels
  • Name: call me habib
And to Last_Ride, yeah the Lamborghini Miura SV is easily the most beautiful exotic ever, so I can understand your choice. A shape designed by Giugiaro and details by Gandini, the two greatest car designers of all time, expect nothing less then the very best.
by far it was the pretiest looking car in 70's
my car does 0-100 in 30 mins

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44014241@N03/

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I just can not decide

I am a 911 type of guy so the 73rs is my perfect 70's supercar

BUT
That dam Countach is the iconic supercar of the 70's and probably of all time and I definately have a soft spot for it.

So if I was buying just for me and with it never to be showen to anyone then the 73 rs is the car

BUT AGAIN
If i put my slightly oversized ego in the mix I think the Lambo would end in my garage

BUT AGAIN AND AGAIN
I am in my office with out anyone else here

THE RS HAS IT :lovies: