Offline tasgirevik

• Drives: classic 911 = DD
I'm sure many of you have hit wildlife ; I have "met" a big red 'roo 4 hrs west of Albany in '90 ; took the front off a Kingswood wagon I was borrowing. Since then I've swerved and missed dozens and dozens of small animals , many were lucky because of the ground clearance of 4wds . But where I live there is a plague of walalbies , Easter Saturday evening 2 of the buggers jumped from the verge in front of my beater '81 924 and met their maker. No joeys were lost, I checked.  Was travelling ~ 40kmh ~200m from home.

So I spent yesterday fixing & repainting the broken but tough fibreglass bumper and working on the sheetmetal valance. Luckily that's all it was, plus a paint crack behind the lip of the front guard.

I was wondering though how many of you with low slung vehicles have contributed to the animal strike count , and any tales to tell? It'd make me think twice about driving an exotic in the evening around here, though the 911 would wear it without too much trouble.

Mostly I'd think F & L cars would be at risk from hitting inebriated Boganus Horribilis in the city!

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I killed 3 parrots driving my car back from Melbourne when I picked it up
the girlfriend was not amused

Offline fivesix

I killed 3 parrots driving my car back from Melbourne when I picked it up
the girlfriend was not amused

Hit a mob of finches once. The sound was rather amusing!

Ive hit shit from roos to birds, rabbits, vermin, hares...   

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I grew up driving Landcruisers in the outback, barely a day would go by without scoring some wildlife.

Here's a tip: DON'T SWERVE.

90% of the time the animal (especially kangaroos and other agile animals) will change direction and get out of the way themselves. It's not worth putting your car out of balance and possibly killing yourself and passengers and oncoming traffic for.

Offline tasgirevik

I've told my sons not to swerve as well. Steep drop off on our road , for a start.

One other tale ; I ran over a possum carcase last winter in the dark ; all the way up our hill the fumes from burning fur filled the car...if you've never been in an old 911 with heat exchangers you'll never understand...
Fortunately it was just fur , not stuck on flesh.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
I collected a small kangaroo once on the top of Mt Mee, definitely wasn't swerving.

Another one was between Cobar and Burke (middle of f-ing nowhere) I have a bird come out in front of me and it swept up my windscreen about an inch off it, I look in the mirror and I see this bird drop straight down on to the road. Took me 5 mins to realise that it probably went up my windscreen and along the roof on the airstream and then hit my roof racks and went straight up and straight down again. Probably thought it was having the ride of it's life for a while.

Offline tasgirevik

I have a bird come out in front of me and it swept up my windscreen about an inch off it, I look in the mirror and I see this bird drop straight down on to the road.

Can prevent...

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Dead Skunk in the middle of the road do stink to high heaven. Didn't hit any but drove past many. You have to open the windows and change the air inside after you have driven past, the smell just gets in the vehicle.

Offline tasgirevik

Offline Cuso

Back when I was a Commodore owner I had a VL with a Group A kit, hit a stupid bastard magpie, it perfectly landed into the brake air dust and ripped front spoiler off the bumper...

Was on a coach tour of Australia for my 16th birthday and the coach collected a wedge tail eagle in the windscreen about 1 hour out of Mt Isa, heard it bounce along the roof a couple of times and then it fell between the coach and trailer that then became airborne. By the time we got to town one side of the windscreen had dropped and there was a 1" gap crack from top to bottom.