Offline eewink

• Drives: Holden
Get your titanium wheel bolts from these guys

www.tikore.com

Good value for money. I have got a set of 20 bolts for my Ferrari F430. Should reduce the unsprung weight significantly.

Weighs half that of the standard OEM bolt and stronger than the OEMs.

Payment easy via paypal and Justin was a delight to deal with.

jfierman@tikore.com

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Get your titanium wheel bolts from these guys

www.tikore.com

Good value for money. I have got a set of 20 bolts for my Ferrari F430. Should reduce the unsprung weight significantly.

Weighs half that of the standard OEM bolt and stronger than the OEMs.

Payment easy via paypal and Justin was a delight to deal with.

jfierman@tikore.com

you won't notice any difference in the feeling of the slightly reduced weight.

AND, titanium has to be treated with great respect when used in this area.

Differeing expansion rates of the bolts, relative to the wheels and the brakes can, and does, make wheels come loose if not cared for correctly.

The Gallardo suffered from it, badly, early on, and even the 430 Scud has had issues.

Offline tasgirevik

• Drives: classic 911 = DD
Very dubious marketing claims:
"We like to think that our titanium lug nuts may have helped him cross that finish line just a few seconds faster"

And yes , a real unbiased view expressed here ; that Porsche bolt sure looks factory fresh!

"In these two picture you can see the craftsmanship between a TiKORE precision Porsche Lug Bolt vs a factory Porsche Lug Bolt."

Offline eewink

Hi FerrariFixer,

I hope I have not done the wrong thing by buying these bolts. In your experience, what kind of catastrophic events have occured with Titanium bolts?

I figured that if some of the Ferraris with challenge wheels use Titanium bolts (and Ferrari themselves sell titanium bolts) then it must be OK. As long as they are torqued properly and retorqued then they should be fine right? I am also getting an electronic torque wrench to retorque exactly to 100 Newton meters (Ferrari bolt specifications)

Failures can occur even with steel bolts right not just with Titanium ones? My BMW steel bolts were torqued by Bob Jane when I had new tires put on and some fell off! So problems can even occur with steel ones if not properly torqued correct?

Offline eewink

Ferrarifixer, what do you mean by differeing expansion rates of the bolts?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ferrarifixer, what do you mean by differeing expansion rates of the bolts?

Titanium is just over half the weight of stainless steel but it's also a lot less conductive and has a thermal expansion coefficient of about half too.

Manufacturers most likely build the surrounding components taking this into account, if you put something in there that only expands half as much as the rest of the stuff is expecting then there's a higher risk of failure.

This is mostly talking out of my arse and not particularly scientific, so take it with an Angelina Jolie of Salt.

Offline CortinaD

Hi FerrariFixer,

I hope I have not done the wrong thing by buying these bolts. In your experience, what kind of catastrophic events have occured with Titanium bolts?

I figured that if some of the Ferraris with challenge wheels use Titanium bolts (and Ferrari themselves sell titanium bolts) then it must be OK. As long as they are torqued properly and retorqued then they should be fine right? I am also getting an electronic torque wrench to retorque exactly to 100 Newton meters (Ferrari bolt specifications)

Failures can occur even with steel bolts right not just with Titanium ones? My BMW steel bolts were torqued by Bob Jane when I had new tires put on and some fell off! So problems can even occur with steel ones if not properly torqued correct?

The bolts on my bmw come out also and they are torqued correctly. I have found it is only the ones that are old (removed and re-torqued multiple times) so now I just put them down to replace every couple of years as the last thing I want is one flying off at the track.

FF means this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion

Your titanium bolts/nuts will expand when they get hot differently to your steel ones and can potentially be under or over torqued. Personally I would just read what the nut/bolt manuf says to torque them too and check them after going for a drive.

Offline eewink

I hate thermal expansion. Expansions of certain body parts are most welcome but not thermal expansion.

Offline eewink

I thought that a bolt stays in place not primarily from the friction on the threads. That is what I have read superficially anyway.

A bolt stays in place by bolt tension (the force acting along the long axis of the bolt). If torqued correctly, the bolt tension is what forces the threads against the other mating thread screw hole surface. Even with expansion, vibration etc, if there is sufficient bolt tension, the force on the threaded surfaces will generate enough friction to prevent slippage and thus holding the bolt in place.

Measuring torque when tightening is actually a surrogate for determining bolt tension. Not a perfect measure but good and practical enough. Any rocket scientists here in the forum or am I just talking fucking bullshit?