Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
I have a problem.....I can't (cold) start my car up & drive away immediately, as I just have too much mechanical sympathy!

I normally sit there for near on 5 minutes until the temp needle has moved but until the car is at full op. temp., I won't rev it over 2,500rpm.

Is this the norm with all performance/exotics owners?

Are these types of modern performance cars built to be started & driven to 4-6,000rpm within seconds?

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I have a problem.....I can't (cold) start my car up & drive away immediately, as I just have too much mechanical sympathy!

I normally sit there for near on 5 minutes until the temp needle has moved but until the car is at full op. temp., I won't rev it over 2,500rpm.

Are these types of modern performance cars built to be started & driven to 4-6,000rpm within seconds?

What is it ?

O I see .....Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass

I do that with all my cars.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

I use to when I was 20. Now it's start, wait a minute to come off high idle then drive away but not giving it a bootful within the first 10mins. normally stuck in a bit of traffic anyway so no issue.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I also always warm up my cars and motorbike

it's a hang up from having to drive the kingswood when I was younger

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I use to when I was 20. Now it's start, wait a minute to come off high idle then drive away but not giving it a bootful within the first 10mins. normally stuck in a bit of traffic anyway so no issue.

I am with Scud
Start the car, wait untill it gets of high idle.
I never give it a boot full untill it is at full temp and has been there for a few minutes.

I have found that the guages get to full temp before the car is at it.
I also believe it would take longer for the gearbox to warm up so the extra few minutes gives that more time

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

When I roll with KV, I keep the accelerator pinned to the firewall as the ignition key is turned and I drift from parked position to the first stoplight I encounter. Even though my vehicle speed only averages 40kph, my the wheelspeed is approximately 325kph.

It should also be noted that I park in a multi-story yo yo yo VTEC carpark, on a carstacker.

I have skillz.

What was your question again?
C'mon, do it!

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
From my days with an air-cooled Porsche and my old mechanical Kugelfisher fuel injector equipped BMW 2002s I was taught to never give it a boot full until the oil temp came up hence never in the first 10-15 mind whilst engines warming up. Having said that, I usually start the car, reverse slowly downhill then drive downhill coasting in gear by which time I reach Magill rd intersection, cars usually warm enough to give it at least 50%.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline fivesix

normally stuck in a bit of traffic anyway so no issue.

KSD is awesome... :P

Offline Paulstar

I'm told start it and drive off so the engine, gearbox, brakes everything warms up together so that's what I do but my car is no exotic.

My bike, I start it while I put my helmet and gloves on but I think that's a hang up from my crappy first bike which sometimes (often times) after all my gear was on wouldn't start at all  :gnasher: