Offline 98octane

sorry i was wrong, there are 4320 cars p platers can not drive without an exemption.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/200909_prohibited_vehicles_list.pdf

These cars on the list made me laugh - forget the RTA prohibition, I think there are a bigger rea$ons why P platers won't be driving these.

Ferrari F50
Ferrari 275 GTB/4
Ferrari 275 GTS

Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
Wow - XC90 = Hoon car.
I want to grab 6 mates and cruise in safety and comfort to the Glenelg McDonalds to taunt those young-uns with my sick ride and lack of palindromes.

I feel so badass :D

Offline j15

Does the law apply to all turbos, including low boost ones?  If so, a P-plater couldn't drive my GTI - which is a bit wierd given its acceleration and top speed isn't very fast.

GTI is banned for P Platers In NSW. The laughable example that always gets trotted out is the a Lotus Elise is not on the list, so anyone can drive one

Offline Jamezilla

Just out of interest can you register a 'banned' car as a P-plate driver?
Surely that would be a good way to at least start to manage this issue... or am I trying to equate common sense with government policy?

Offline CortinaD

Just out of interest can you register a 'banned' car as a P-plate driver?
Surely that would be a good way to at least start to manage this issue... or am I trying to equate common sense with government policy?

Interesting point. I know you can register a R1 without even having a motorcycle license. You just need a valid client ID.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Yes learners can drive anything aslong as it is registered and road legal (go figure)....

and yes a p plater can own and register a prohibited vehicle, they just can not legally drive it on public streets...

Offline M500

As Kujotk said, a power to weight ration based system would be more equitable rather that a blanket ban as proposed. Although I dont blame the government in trying to limit the "P-Plate Hoons" to cars that wont be capable of accelarating so quickly as the common "P-Plate Hoon Cars" such as the raft of hotted up Falcodores and the modified Jap cars that seem so popular with this group.

As is so often said, the issue of driver training would be far more reaching than having a "do as I say not as I do" policy.

Offline M308

• Degranged

I'm not 100% sure but in the paper today, a guy is standing next to his turbo'd Nissan Pulsar SSS (highly modified & I doubt engineered :doh: ) & wasn't the happiest chappy in the photo.....Anyone have confirmation on this?

Just read the write up in full & the Pulsar SSS is fully engineered & only affects people who obtain their licence after the rule is put in place.

Offline Jamezilla

That example alone just goes to show how totally stupid this list is.
Not only is he irrelevant to the story as he is on a full licence, but the N14 SSS is not on the list anyway - thus totally negating the list as it shows that essentially any car can have a turbo conversion!

The whole thing reads like a GranTurismo fanboy wishlist - how on earth can this be policed from the coalface? Is Laminator consulting to the SA police to help them tell the difference between a Falcon XR6 and and XR6 Turbo?

Typical stupid, knee-jerk government wasting money to try and come up with a 'fix' rather than a real solution.

Offline dkabab

if you lose your licence, dont you go back to p's for 6 months or something? im not sure if thats still the case, but if so, would this still apply?