Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Multanova smasher to cop hefty bill
4th January 2009, 10:30 WST

A man who destroyed a Multanova speed camera in a brazen daylight attack will be forced to pay $120,000 for a replacement.

Police said they would seek restitution for the damage the man caused when he picked up the speed camera and smashed it repeatedly into a power pole on Tuesday afternoon.

The camera was monitoring northbound traffic on West Coast Highway in Swanbourne when the man ran up and grabbed it about 4.50pm.

Despite fearing the man would turn on him, the camera operator used his mobile phone to photograph the attack before the man fled along West Coast Highway and into Lynton Street.

Det-Sen. Const. Gary Simpson said police had images taken by the camera and would see if the attacker was captured speeding.

He said police were taking the attack seriously. “The cameras cost $120,000 . . . and it comes out of the taxpayers’ pockets,” he said.

The offender has tanned olive skin, is aged 30 to 40, about 178cm tall, of solid muscular build, with shaven dark hair and was wearing a white singlet and dark shorts.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=115937

Police will seek $132,666 to replace damaged camera
January 13, 2009 03:00pm

A 43-YEAR-OLD Hillarys man has been charged with destroying a $132,000 police speed camera on West Coast Highway last month.
It will be alleged the man picked up the Multanova and smashed it repeatedly against a light pole before running off with part of the camera.

The camera operator took photographs of the shortly before the equipment was damaged.

Police searched the man's house where it is alleged items linking him to the camera vandalism were found.

He was charged with one count of criminal damage and is due to appear in Perth Magistrates Court on Friday.

Police say they will apply to the court for $132,666.00 restitution to replace the speed camera if the man is convicted of the offence.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,27574,24908122-2761,00.html

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Specifications

Speed Range: 0 to 320 mph (8 TO 320 kph)

Speed Accuracy: +/- 1 mph (+/- 2 kph)

Target Range: 10 to 600 Meters

Pulse Rate: 100 pps

Jam Codes

E14 (JAMMED) - Measurement distorted; Target has laser jamming transmitter or laser distance sensor

Notes

The Robot Traffipatrol, Jenoptik LaserPatrol, and Multanova Star-Laser are all the same gun, although marketed by different companies. These are supposably very easy to jam, simply pulsing LEDs @ 1000 Hz will reportedly jam this gun. However, these guns are commonly used in some countries where laser jamming is illegal. So, the challenge isn't being able to jam this gun: the challenge is being able to jam it without triggering an E14 jam code, which could mean a large fine and even jail in some countries.

http://www.guysoflidar.com/laserpatrol-traffipatrol-starlaser.html

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

i know someone who got out of one by showing that the speed limit signs were confusing and the setup of the camera was wrong. can't remember where he got the camera set up rules from.

Attached is the official Victoria Police mobile speed camera policy and operations manual.  (PDF is first attachment - the rest are excerpts)

Offline CortinaD

This interests me simply from a technical point.

I rang the 5-0 back in 2001/2 regarding what they use because I needed to install some high speed OCR on a production line and they directed me to http://x.htsol.com/. I was under the impression they were using the technology from this place which is/was in Israel.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

This interests me simply from a technical point.

I rang the 5-0 back in 2001/2 regarding what they use because I needed to install some high speed OCR on a production line and they directed me to http://x.htsol.com/. I was under the impression they were using the technology from this place which is/was in Israel.

Try here - I believe these folk supply the Gatso stuff etc: http://www.aspecttraffic.com.au/anpr.html

ANPR cameras

All PIPS ANPR camera systems are re-engineered by Aspect Traffic to ensure the highest level of automatic number plate recognition and include the following features:
* Able to capture and correctly read both reflective and non-reflective number plates from one ANPR system    
* Reliable performance at vehicle speeds up to 200 kph :scratchchin:
* Headlight, glint, glare and shadow suppression
* ANPR capture range up to 25 metres
* Capture range increased to 75m with the 'Aspect Plus' illuminator system
* Remote control of all camera and illuminator settings
* Eye-safe invisible infra-red illumination
* Low power consumption

Offline app

After reading most of the posts, IMO it just seems easiest to pay the flipping thing. I mean $200 is not really going to hurt. I'd rather pay it than have the thought of having to deal with all the paper work and going to court etc over a period of months or even years. To me not having to deal with all that (if it had a monetary value) would be worth far more than a couple of hundred dollars.

I like it how in the first post it says:
It is your right as an Australian to do this. Do not let the cops bully or intimidate you into believing any different.

Well it's not actually your right to rip the government of in thousands of dollars if you were actually speeding :doh:.

I just don't get why so many people go out of their way to avoid paying a couple of hundred dollars, people really do some stupid things.

Edit: If you weren't actually speeding or if the cop was doing the wrong thing, that's a whole different story. I would go after them to show that I would not be bullied or intimidated just because they think they can. BUT when you actually know you were speeding, I just can't think of anything more stupid than trying to get out of it.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

The money doesn't matter half as much as the demerit points.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
The demerits are annoying, was talking to a kiwi friend the other day and he said that over there you only get points if you are pulled over by an officer but not if it is just a speed camera. I think that would be great.

Offline CortinaD

The demerits are annoying, was talking to a kiwi friend the other day and he said that over there you only get points if you are pulled over by an officer but not if it is just a speed camera. I think that would be great.

Thats how it was in SA until approx 5 years ago.

I got nabbed for 144 in a 110 (freeway) and 82 in a 60 (exit ramp) , no points just a fine.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Thats how it was in SA until approx 5 years ago.

I got nabbed for 144 in a 110 (freeway) and 82 in a 60 (exit ramp) , no points just a fine.

144 is "say goodbye" to license(for 1 month, unless it goes to court) and 48 hours to the car here in Vic.

Anything over 125, no matter what the speed limit is, means your are walking for at least a month.