Poll

A little harsh or do you agree????

She is an idiot - Strongly agree with the law.
1 (4.3%)
The Law is the law…..???? - partly agree with the law.
3 (13%)
Don't really care - have no opinion.
0 (0%)
Well, is was a little harsh but….. - partly disagree with the law.
8 (34.8%)
What a Crock!!!!! - Strongly disagree with the law.
11 (47.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Offline M308

• Degranged

Always wondered what would happen up there is you're doing 200+ and a camel suddenly appears in front of you.

You won't know about it if it did.....would be very quick

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

No I meant what I did was, ie passing a line of cars, 4 or more,what your friend did was ok really except she did it too well.

OK - I see.

by the way - who ever said she was an idiot, the question was about the offence, not the fact that she is friends with Mondi.   :rolleyes:

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

You won't know about it if it did.....would be very quick

Don't suppose it's ever happened or we would have heard about it but I don't see how it could have been avoided occasionally when there was no speed limit.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Don't suppose it's ever happened or we would have heard about it but I don't see how it could have been avoided occasionally when there was no speed limit.

Same way we avoided it, don't be a dipshit. Don't know if you've driven out there but there would be very few spots where you wouldn't see them coming. Not many trees/buildings/fences for them to be hiding behind. You can see for miles! The only time we encountered wildlife was leaving a petrol station which had some bushed around it, some cows came out from behind the bushes but as we were just speeding up all cars managed to stop.

As for the overtaking, it was a big thing here when they work out how long it would take to overtake a semitrailer that was doing 90 and staying within the limits. And then they realised that most overtaking lanes weren't even that long.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Same way we avoided it, don't be a dipshit. Don't know if you've driven out there but there would be very few spots where you wouldn't see them coming. Not many trees/buildings/fences for them to be hiding behind. You can see for miles!

Yes I've been out there but only in a bus, in a car at high speed you might be on them before you knew it, how far ahead can you see to allow you to identify what it is then slow down from 200k + safely, I imagine it might be a bit iffy but I've never been in a car up there just a bus that had to pull to a stop but I would have hated to have been doing 200+ in that situation.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Yes I've been out there but only in a bus, in a car at high speed you might be on them before you knew it, how far ahead can you see to allow you to identify what it is then slow down from 200k + safely, I imagine it might be a bit iffy but I've never been in a car up there just a bus that had to pull to a stop but I would have hated to have been doing 200+ in that situation.

It's easy - we often cruised at 200-240, visibility is fine - don't be a dick and pummel around a blind bend or over a crest or through thick scrubland and you're golden, it's the only time you'll actually *slow down* to overtake.

It's only at 270 and above that things start to get a bit sphincter-tightening.

I put a vid up of us in 2005 going for 20 minutes straight, most of it at about 250 - after a few minutes you adjust to it, going back to 110kph was seriously like we were walking.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam

If you're going to wait to identify something before slowing down you're an idiot. A larger then average bird at that speed can make a mess of you (though smaller birds are in trouble eh SCUD). I was in the passenger seat at the time we hit 332 and we were only trying to go fast when we could see that the road was flat, straight and free of anything that we were unsure about, at one point we bailed out when we saw something on the side of the road, would have be 2 kms away at least but looked like a person. Turned out to be a friggin large bird feeding on some roo.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It's more fun talking/dreaming about the NT than to consider the OP's question.  :cool:

But, to answer the question, she broke the law and got caught.  What else is there to say?

Now, back to the NT..... :mischief:

Offline j15

What do you guys think??? Was it a little harsh???? Was it deserved???

The way the law operates with respect to speeding offences is very harsh. That is the nature of the beast in Vic.

If she hasn't already paid the fine then you could go to Court, plead guilty, and seek some judicial discretion in lessening the severity of the penalties. That is what you can do in NSW, and presumably what you could do in Vic, but as I am not familiar  with Vic law you should make your own enquiries.

If one was to take a step back for a moment and think about it, it would look like this.

She is an experienced driver
She is driving a safe car (I assume so)
It is a safe road (not poor quality, its straight, dual carriageway etc)
There is very little traffic
The conditions are good (day time, dry)

She is travelling along the road, at the speed limit, in the abovementioned conditions. She executes the overtaking manouver on a line of 4 cars. She does so with the intention of carrying it out efficiently, effectively and safely so as to not spend any more time than is necessary in the right lane immediately next to or in the blind spot of other cars. As is reasonably expected in an overtaking manouvre, one would naturally travel a bit faster than the car being overtaken to carry out the action safely. This is something that was over in a matter of seconds. She returns to the left lane and slows to the speed limit immediately.

Regrettably, and obviously remorsefully, in concentrating her attention on the hazards immediately around her (other cars, the road ahead, changing lanes) and in endeavouring to quickly and effectively bring about the overtaking of the cars, she went faster than she intended to go. A quite momentary and in context minor error of judgment.

Now Mr Officer stops Mrs Lady. Takes the car away for two days. Takes her licence away for 6 months. All this for a driver of good repute, with a traffic record reflective of her good driving history.

Harsh? most definitely. Uncalled for? indeed.

To be expected? in this country, yes.