Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I'm surprised how fast the M3 CSL is, and how slow the LP 670 is.

I was quite disappointed in the lap times I got out of mine. Loved the car; but it never felt anything like as fast as the road tests suggested.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I was quite disappointed in the lap times I got out of mine. Loved the car; but it never felt anything like as fast as the road tests suggested.

is an Aussie CSL de tuned compared to Euro ones.. like almost every other euro hot hatch etc, they're all US power emissions, which makes them useless.

Perhaps the ring times are distorted/spun a bit too... I can't believe many of them.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
is an Aussie CSL de tuned compared to Euro ones.. like almost every other euro hot hatch etc, they're all US power emissions, which makes them useless.

Perhaps the ring times are distorted/spun a bit too... I can't believe many of them.

The CSL's are all completely identical mechanical spec and they were not available in the US. There was a "delete" option on the Air Conditioning and radio and you could spec normal M3' wheels and rubber if you wanted (wonder if anybody did?).

Who knows on the lap times. One thing's for sure, with a track of that length and an area known for variable weather conditions, it is highly likely "track speed" varied tremendously day to day.

Offline CortinaD

Quote from: easyman;13642663
http://jalopnik.com/5845899/rented-corvette-and-ring-taxi-crash-at-nurburgring-cause-130k-in-damage

Rented Corvette and ‘Ring Taxi crash at Nürburgring, cause $130,000 in damage
An eight-car crash on the Nürburgring Nordschleife earlier today sent one driver to the hospital with serious injuries, claimed a rented Corvette Z06 and put the famous BMW M3 "ring taxi" out of commission. It also caused more than $130,000 in property damage.
According to police, the accident occurred at around 2:00 pm local time on the circuit's tricky Bergwerk ("mine") section as three cars were slowing for a construction zone. A fourth driver, from the UK, stood on the brakes but couldn't prevent a collision with one of the vehicles ahead. He subsequently slid onto the grass and then back onto the track some fifty meters (164ft) ahead. It was there where he crashed into the other two vehicles.

Three other drivers saw the crash and slowed their cars. An eighth car, the ring taxi, crashed into one of the slowing cars, hit another car and came to a stop at the left of the track.

Police say the drivers were from several European countries. A sticker on the Corvette, apparently listing Swedish luxury rental agency Platinum Cars, suggests its rental status. The accident occurred near the site of Niki Lauda's fiery crash during the 1976 German Grand Prix.

One driver was taken to a hospital in Koblenz with serious injuries. Two other drivers were treated on the scene. All of the cars except one were substantially damaged and were not drivable. Police are still investigating, but cite excessive speed as the cause.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Yes well any idiot can press the gas pedal cant they, but when it comes to actually handling the car you have to know how to drive.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Yes well any idiot can press the gas pedal cant they, but when it comes to actually handling the car you have to know how to drive.

True, but the 'Ring is notoriously dangerous and even careful drivers can get caught out - like the 'Ring Taxi was. The tourist day concept wouldn't last 5 minutes in Australia before it was banned.

Offline Nobleambitions

• Back from the naughty corner.

...the 'Ring is notoriously dangerous and even careful drivers can get caught out
Hiromu Naruse, Lexus test driver for 40+ years is a testament to that, and he wasn't even on the actual track, just alongside it when his fatal accident occurred.

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
After watching this video it's pretty easy to see why there was a crash! Roadworks on the other side of a blind crest - on a friggin race track!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eTFBliKnZg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eTFBliKnZg</a>

Source

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Idiots should have put upa few warnings much ferther out than 100 meters from road works, you'd think Germans would at least get that right.

Also I don't see a race track, I see a public one way toll road  :thumbsup:
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!