Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Sounds like a plan may be coming together

You need people to say "I'll come" first.

I'll come. :)

Offline Undefined

• Drives: Toyota 86
  • Name: Waqar Ahmed

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Offline CortinaD

My grandfather spent a lot of time there and I have never been so I am keen for a drive.

Online allanuber

• Name: Al

I loves you guys   :)       

The Broken Hill folks are super geniune, if we organise a run of cars there, they'll welcome everyone with open arms.

If there's a few cars, then I'm sure we can also get a big photo shoot done in the Film Studios ... along with the Mad Max car  :)

I'm definitely in, will drive the Ultima from Sydney as I've missed a few road trips, will probably take the 456 as well.

In terms of charity, the Royal Flying Doctor Service does amazing work 'outback' and they can use the support - if there's people coming along then I'll also get funding for a big cheque for them.

Cortina - have you got any stories from the grand-dad? Would love to hear more and there's a story in you re-walking his tracks... want to be a feature on a big website!

The TV ads are running now which was one of the reasons for the rapid web launch  :)

Ash, any chance of a private thread for anyone interested in this one!!!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I used to live there... :o

One issue is the roads up in that area are mostly fine, however the creeks/spoon drains are vicious, fine at 80kph in a Landcruiser, but in a low slung car at er, different speeds, there's a chance of harpooning the tarmac.

Also whilst it's not the wettest area, when it *does* rain it does it all at once, so the kerbs and gutters in town itself are RIDICULOUSLY high and deep and wide, as in kerbs are mostly about a foot high and the gutters extend out a fair way into the road and run deep so it's like there's a big camber on the edge, but as far as I recall most of the parking is angle so probably not much of an issue.

If there's a few cars, then I'm sure we can also get a big photo shoot done in the Film Studios ... along with the Mad Max car  :)

Cue Jamezilla... :cool:

Ash, any chance of a private thread for anyone interested in this one!!!

Sure, if there's enough interest we can chuck up a new board.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I used to live there... :o

One issue is the roads up in that area are mostly fine, however the creeks/spoon drains are vicious, fine at 80kph in a Landcruiser, but in a low slung car at er, different speeds, there's a chance of harpooning the tarmac.

The main roads in and out are regular fare though I take it?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
The main roads in and out are regular fare though I take it?

Yes, but the creeks/drains are still deep, similar to the Glen Helen road but from memory a bit more dramatic drops, so basically just means fairly hard braking prior to a waterway and then stab the throttle on entering to lift the nose.

Also just thought I'd mention it, but there's not *much* to see up there, Silverton (Mad Max territory) is an afternoon jaunt, Fowler's Gap is just a hill, TBH I can't think of anywhere else to drive or what to do around there. :confused:  It's all out in the outback ghost towns and roads that are inaccessible to high-end cars where the interesting stuff is.

Offline Joel

Im keen for a drive out there... Be a fun weekend.

Online allanuber

• Name: Al

Righto, they're keen to lay out the red carpet for us.

Looks like we may be able to sponsor accommodation for those who want to overnight as well.

Who's in ... and what dates work best for this not to disrupt the other outback trip?

I'll be driving from Sydney in the Ultima.