Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
My guy says I can give you a Tesla wall if you want; but why would you if you know anything about the tech and what is available.
Apple should buy tesla, fixed!
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I reckon there is plenty of room in this new market for both the sleek but expensive Tesla solution and good value but less pretty alternatives. The Tesla brand adds value after all. Given the size of the potential market, there is room for many more well known consumer brands to start offering products and I'm guessing that just what you'll see.

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

We see it again and again with startups, the best ideas in the world don't keep up momentum if you lose sight of the customers who gave you the opportunity to fly.

Many startups don't even rally consider the customer - they are just a line on a projection, used to get investors excited and funding through the door - when it actually then comes to dealing with them, there are cries of anguish as joe public doesn't blow smoke up the founders ass when the product doesn't meet the hype (not saying this is Tesla, yet).

Agree but give them their dues in terms of growing pains. Which company can grow without these sorts of issues cropping up?

Anyway time will tell what happens in the future

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Thats the whole idea of what I was getting at... The economics of a huge increase in sales would bring the lithium battery prices down. It seems like Tesla has its head stuck in cars not in generating business with it's technology.  When this all started it was touted that Tesla had something special with its battery technology that they owned the rights to but now it doesnt seem that way at all.

perhaps Tesla never had that "something special" with it's battery technology, but rather something special with it's marketing

From what I've been told it's LG that is the leader in the battery and control tech.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Agree but give them their dues in terms of growing pains. Which company can grow without these sorts of issues cropping up?

Well... every company that survived prior to the land of digital startups actually had to look after customers... it feels like accepting poor quality in exchange for innovation is a more contemporary trend.

Absolutely agree in terms of respecting them for being world changers. Even this conversation is evidence of their disruption - which is mind boggling.

I actually hope they can sustain their position, rather than just pave the way for other big players.

My interest in the discussion is in seeing if there really is the opinion that they are a 'tech' company. I can say from first hand experience that selling a profitable product quickly becomes a nightmare if bugs, maintenance and other issues then start to consume otherwise productive and profitable time.
C'mon, do it!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully

With the cars at least I worry that the mass market will adopt their high tech user interface and apps that wonder and delight ATM. Then Tesla has no great differentiation at a much higher price. The new Model X has nothing but expensive bat wing doors, the interface is near identical. Unless they keep right up the front of the tech game they will quickly be yesterdays hit.
And Apple is coming........

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Unless they keep right up the front of the tech game they will quickly be yesterdays hit.
And Apple is coming........

Very true

My BIG Call - Apple is a "has been" - :)

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
Very true

You heard it here first!!
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
You heard it here first!!
Yep, first and last time we will hear that .....
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Very true

From what I have read the future looks a bit bleak. Iphone sales in decline, watch a flop, large size ipad a yawn and nothing much on the horizon